4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Autos unite and help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 06:46 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Hey MaxedOutOfCash, I'd expect you were the type to do the DR mod judging from your SN. I have done the research and I have made up my mind that the removing the DR is just as good as the VB if not better. Let me begin to explain in simple terms. First, people assume that the VB mod is a good product because it is expensive. It is a good product. I agree with that 100%. It is a procedure that takes time and skill to do and the companies that do it produce a quality product. Many people in the world are of the opinion that something expensive is better than something cheap or free. The DR mod is free and it does the same thing the VB does. The DR is a dropping resistor that controls the hydraulic line pressure within the tranny. The line pressure effects how long it takes for the tranny to shift. With the DR working properly the tranny takes its mighty time shifting and spends a lot of time with the torque converter spinning near freely. Heat is bad for a transmission and heat is cause by friction in this case. The faster and longer the torque converter spend spinning the more friction it encounters thus creating heat. Removing the DR and making the tranny shift at FLP makes the shifts instantaneous therefore reducing the temps the tranny sees. The quick shifts are somewhat shocking to the new comer but one must realize how insanely bullit proof the auto trannies are. The jolt that is created by the harsh shift is nearly equal in the DR and VB mods. All that said, it should be clear that I have done my research and decided as an educated consumer to save myself $300+. I have attempted to explain this several times before and usually several people catch on. It just depends on what type of person you are as to which mod you prefer.