4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stock cat vs R/T cat visual comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 04:03 PM

I took out my stock Y pipe and cat converter Friday in anticipation of the WSP Y pipe to arrive this week and was comparing the stock cat with the R/T cat that until now I was thinking of installing. I may be off on this but my stock cat looks larger on the ID of the flanges and I can see more light pass through it than on the R/T cat. This is confusing to me because I expected the R/T cat to be more open than the stock one.

I kinda expect the R/T to be a little louder but don't know if I'll be gaining anything considering what I've seen already.

Anyone have any comments or care to share on this subject?
Old 03-25-2001, 04:21 PM
Administrator

from what i have heard.. the stock cat/after market y pipe is much louder than rt cat/after marker y pipe..

i hear people get rt cat's to quiet down the after market y pipe
Old 03-25-2001, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
from what i have heard.. the stock cat/after market y pipe is much louder than rt cat/after marker y pipe..

i hear people get rt cat's to quiet down the after market y pipe
The stock cat does have a different type catalyst, the holes are larger. The Random has the same bisquits as most all of the other cats on the market, about the only difference is size and the material the biscuits are made of. Catco makes about 99% of all the biscuits, they sell them to the other converter makers including Random. The after market biscuits all have the same size holes in them, most have the same id number on them, the only difference is the size of the actual face of the biscuits. That is the reason we sell the Carsound, they are similar in biscuit size and when flow tested against the Random and Catco or Arvin test within a couple of % for flow rates for quite a lot less.

If you ever look close at the Random they use basically the same body for all of them, the one that fits my dodge 5.9 has been modified from the basic Random cat only with 2 inlets.

Dallas
Old 03-26-2001, 10:08 AM
ajaffee

Carsound vs. RT cat - 2 questions

Originally posted by bmfjeep

The stock cat does have a different type catalyst, the holes are larger. The Random has the same bisquits as most all of the other cats on the market, about the only difference is size and the material the biscuits are made of. Catco makes about 99% of all the biscuits, they sell them to the other converter makers including Random. The after market biscuits all have the same size holes in them, most have the same id number on them, the only difference is the size of the actual face of the biscuits. That is the reason we sell the Carsound, they are similar in biscuit size and when flow tested against the Random and Catco or Arvin test within a couple of % for flow rates for quite a lot less.

If you ever look close at the Random they use basically the same body for all of them, the one that fits my dodge 5.9 has been modified from the basic Random cat only with 2 inlets.

Dallas
Hey Dallas -
How does the Carsound Cat compare against the RT Cat concerning sound and ability to reduce emmissions?

Andy