4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Where to buy GL-4 80-90wt manual fluid, or Redline MT-90?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 05:28 PM

Where to buy GL-4 80-90wt manual fluid, or Redline MT-90?

Guys, I'm changing one of my CV axles, I'm suddenly discovering that I'm having a hard time finding 80-90wt GL-4 manual transmission fluid. I'm going to drain it and replace the fluid when I change. I've checked Advance Auto Parts, Consumer Auto Parts, and Wal-Mart, and no luck so far. Everything's GL-5 (which www.motorvate.ca says is not compatible), or multi-type, which I don't really trust.

Where can I buy GL-4? What brand and exact "model" of fluid should I ask for when I call? I can't keep driving to auto parts stores and looking at all the bottles hoping for GL-4

I may go back to Redline MT-90 if I can find it in a local store. I put that in about 2 years ago, then a few months later this same axle failed, and the shop had to drain the fluid and replace it with whatever they use. I didn't really notice a big difference, but I also didn't get to use it in the winter. Redline says Advance Auto Parts sells their products, which their TV told me when I was looking, but they didn't seem to sell anything but Redline motor oil, at least that store.

I really want to replace the axle this weekend, so I don't think I have to mail-order anything.

Thank you!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:06 PM
acj

I also have a few questions about Manual Tranny oil (in my 97 max).

Today someone gave me 5 quarts of BP Transgear 80w-90 GL4, GL5. I was wondering if anyone has used this? If not, has anyone use anytype of GL4, GL5 oil?

I thought about Redline but none of the part stores around here can even get it. I probably will end up using this BP but I just wanted some opinions on it first! (this should probably be in the Fluids and Lube section, but no traffic is there anyway!!!)
Old 05-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want to get it online go to www.myoilshop.com for MT-90. Try dealer code 675421 for 10% off.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:08 PM
acj

Does anyone else have any info on this oil?

I have all of this GL4/GL5 oil and was wanting others opinions. If you have used this oil or are currently using it please post.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used to own a 300ZX, and after reading about gear supply for quite awhile, I bumped my gear oil from 75w-90 GL4 to 75w-90GL5 (Royal Purple) and it solved my grinding problems. As for on maxima's, I don't really know if it would work or not, but I need to find out by friday, as I am having my clutch changed then, and want to get it right hte first time.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:07 PM

I just resently did this I was looking for Gl-4 and only found Gl-5(mobile one), so I bougt enough and headed home, I changed the oil that afternoon and afterwards took my car out for a spin. Everything was fine until I headed home. by this time it began to get real hard to shift, and took som finesse to get it into gear, then I was like WTF and found out later that Gl-5 is more silppery than 4 . So the only gl-4 I could find was MT-90(redline) and after putting that in the car shifts smoother than a babies a$$

sorry for the long write up
Old 05-19-2004, 06:09 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I ordered Redline MT-90 at Advance Auto. It took them about 5 days to get it in. Thier price is ~$8 a quart which isn't bad.

Here's my experience with the GL-4/GL-5 combo gear oils. When I had 98K miles, I drained my gear oil (was changed at 60K) and replaced it with Castorl GL-4/GL-5. I figured since it covered GL-4 I would be okay. WRONG. I immediately noticed harder and notchier shifting plus getting into 1st at a complete stop could be a total bear sometimes. For a while I thought it was because of all the track racing I had done and I figured the shift rods may be bent a little. A few weeks ago I started reviewing tranny fluid info on the net and it turns out the GL4/GL5 oils don't work well in Japanese trannies and can cause many of the problems I was experiencing. I ordered some Redline MT-90 for Advance Auto and swapped it in 5 days ago. Instantly the resistance into 1st was gone and the shifting overall improved quite a bit. All the notchiness isn't gone, but it's a lot better and this tranny has never been known for it's smoothness.

Side note:

After installing the fluid I looked over and noticed my drivers side CV boot was shredded. SO that means all the fluid has to come back out once I recieve my axle from Raxles. I'm reusing the MT90 because it will only have 500 miles on it.

Dave
Old 05-19-2004, 08:53 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=70

"dear God please read the "stickies" at the top of the page before posting a question."
Old 05-19-2004, 11:42 AM
acj

Originally Posted by mitch33x
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=70

"dear God please read the "stickies" at the top of the page before posting a question."
If you’re referring to me, I HAVE read the "stickies" at the top of the page. But it helps to get someone elses opinion rather than just one persons. Plus the “stickies” didn’t answer the question I had. They referred to straight GL4 or straight GL5, not the combo (or at least I don't remember the performance of combo being mentioned).

I do appreciate everyone who gave worthwhile replies.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:08 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

I got it from some place on the net for like 7/quart. Damned if I can't remember the name though. I feel like it was some kind of really obvious/relevant name like gearoil.com or carlube.com or something stupid like that. I'll see if I still have the box at home.

Good luck getting it out of the transmission! I could not get the drain bolt out. WHAT SIZE WRENCH IS IT...it's not 10mm, too small, it's not 11mm, too big, and it was in between standard sizes as well! My father was trying it and I didn't believe him that the bigger size wrench was too big, but I then tried and it wasn't even close, and the smaller simply would not go on the nut. Adjustable does not fit in the space or starts to round off the nut. I also started to crack the sensor when trying to do it that way. We ended up using the fluid extractor which my father had bought like the day before...and that worked great.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a real good expirience wirh Mobil1 Synthetic Gear Oil. Shifts are so much smoother and easier. I put Redline 5 month ago and it was not that smooth..
Old 05-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Boosted Panda

For the fluid, contact talkinghorse.
He is a member here and sells AMSOIl products. Its a synthetic, but after using it in your tranny, you will be hooked.
He sells it cheaper then anyone else. He sells it at his cost just to hook up members.
Here is a quote he sent me which has his prices and contact info:

"talkinghorse"
According to my reference guide, 80w-90 is the preferred viscosity for your model, and you will need 4.5 liters (~5qts). AMSOIL offers a top-quality 80w-90 GL-4 (product code AGT), and another that is available in either 80w-90 (AGL) or 75w-90 (AGR)...these products are rated GL-2 thru GL-5. The Series 2000 75w-90 (TGR) is also rated GL-2 thru GL-5. AMSOIL product literature indicates AGT, AGL and TGR may be used in GL-4 applications.

AGT is only available in gallon containers. My cost for two gallons of AGT delivered (with tax & shipping) is $42.62 and this is a savings of over $8 compared to retail.

AGL and AGT are available in quarts. My cost for 5 quarts AGL/AGT delivered to you is $40.86. This is a savings of ~$9.00 compared to retail.

TGR is more expensive at $48.41 for 5 quarts, delivered. This is a savings of ~$10.

If you want to stay as close to Nissan recommendations as possible, I would recommend you go with the AGT (80w-90 GL-4). It's a great oil and I sell a lot of it to our members. Two gallons will run you just a few cents more than 5 quarts of AGL/AGT...so you'll have more than enough.

I have all products shiped directly to the customer from the nearest AMSOIL Product Center. Given your location, your oil would be shipped from the Product Center in Dallas. Most products are shipped the same day I place the order, so delivery is very fast...I get my products overnight and we live in San Antonio. If I order it tonight or in the morning, you should definitely have it by the weekend.

Concerning payment, I accept Visa, MC and Discover. For your security and convenience I also accept PayPal. If you want to pay with Pay Pal, simply log on and send the payment to my e-mail account , eander2585@aol.com . Once i receive the confirming message (almost instantaneous), I will phone in the order and it will be on it's way to you. If you want to pay direct with a credit card, I recommend you call me to exchange shipping and payment info. The number here is 210-945-0399. If we happen to be out, pls leave a msg and I will gladly return the call.

If you want to look at more product information about the oils, you can visit my website at www.lubedealer.com/lonestarlubes and click on the link to the corporate site...from there, clik on the button for Product Information.

I think you will be very happy with AMSOIL gear oil. I sell a lot of it and people are very pleased with the performance. Let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to order... thanks, Ed "talkinghorse"
Old 05-19-2004, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by acj
If you’re referring to me, I HAVE read the "stickies" at the top of the page. But it helps to get someone elses opinion rather than just one persons. Plus the “stickies” didn’t answer the question I had. They referred to straight GL4 or straight GL5, not the combo (or at least I don't remember the performance of combo being mentioned).

I do appreciate everyone who gave worthwhile replies.
I wasn't, or I would have quoted you. However, the creator of this thread could have benefited greatly from the fluilds and lubricants section
Old 05-20-2004, 04:19 AM

That was me. I'm sorry for the needless post. If where to buy GL4 is covered, my apologies. For what it's worth, if it helps anyone, I was unable to find any GL-4 after calling a bunch of stores. Nissan's manual tranny fluid is 75-90 wt, and they wanted $10/qt (at the dealers I called). I went on Redline's website to find local dealers, and after confirming that Advance Auto Parts does not sell any Redline products but engine oil, I tried the performance parts shops. Lucked out, and found it at a local shop, for $9/qt. So if you need MT-90, try their webpage, and call your local performance shops that are listed. I hope this might help someone who needs it quickly and can't wait for mailorder! Sorry again for not reading the FAQ's. Not an excuse, but since Search was disabled, I find it a lot tougher to avoid duplicating posts. And sometimes the FAQ's don't address your exact question. Sorry if this was covered in them.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by redoctobyr
and after confirming that Advance Auto Parts does not sell any Redline products but engine oil,..
Advance Auto Parts does sell the Redline MT-90, but they have to special order it from their major warehouse. Believe me they have it, it's just not carried in the store. The guy at Advance simply grabbed their Advance Auto Parts catalog and there was a page with all the Redline products. It took them about 5 days to get it to the store. I paid ~$7.50, I believe.

Dave
Old 05-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Boosted Panda

When i ordered my fluid from talkinghorse, it arrived next day.It even came out cheaper then what he quoted me.