4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Gurus- PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:47 PM

Brake Gurus- PLEASE HELP!

Okay guys, this is driving me absolutely nuts. About 8-9 months ago, my car periodicaly started making a brake groaning noise from the rear. Basically the noise is similar to blowing through the opening of an empty beer bottle, but it acoompianed with a mild vibration. The Brake does not need to be depressed for the noise to happen. It only happens when riding the brake, like when you are at a red light inching up. About a moth ago had my rear calipers replaced uder warranty. I was also told that I needed rear brake pads (I am thinking they are original (48k). Now I thought that replacing the calipers would probably solve the groaning noise, but it hasn't. In fact, now, sometimes when I put the car in reverse, the brake groan shows up but it is rediculously loud. SO loud, that it turns peoples heads on the streets. But the problem is, I can never recreate it right after it happens. (in reverse that is) It seems to lasts like 1/4-1 rotation and then it goes away, if i continue to go in reverse it just disapears! It seems to worsen when it rains. Could it be that the original pads are damaged due to the fact that I had bad calipers at one time? Would replacing the rear pads solve theis HORRIFIC LOUD noise? I am a little strapped for cash right now. What is the problem? Thanks guys- I really appreciate it. Sory for the long post but wanted to describe it fully.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:58 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i dont know what it is, but i get it too, when i roll back a little at a stop (im 5 speed) i hear a MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOANNNNNNNNN its nasty but im just used to it now, my brakes are totally messed up as is so im just waiting for an excuse to replace everything
Old 05-17-2004, 07:20 PM

Maybe your rotors are glazed.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:55 PM

caliper sticking. i had the same problem. changed the brake pads but still groaned. found the caliper completely seized after i changed the brakes. replaced it and no more groaning.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:06 AM

This is a common problem in a Maxima(4th gen). We don't really know what it is. I have worried about it in the past, but I am used to it now.
Mine happens the same as Nismos14, like while I am at a stoplight and roll back a little(5spd.). It just groans very loud and then stops. You cannot recreate it.
I have checked for sticking calipers and all that, but the conclusion is that the Maximas just do that. I don't know if it is something to do with the pad shifting a little when going from braking forward to backwards or what, but I have asked and asked, and there is not a solution that I have found.

It is just something that you should get used to.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by A32Matt
caliper sticking. i had the same problem. changed the brake pads but still groaned. found the caliper completely seized after i changed the brakes. replaced it and no more groaning.
I HAVE changed the rear calpiers- they are brand new.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
I HAVE changed the rear calpiers- they are brand new.
By the way, it also does this noise when going forward, although not as loud. It seems to happen more when it is humid/rains. It can't be a sticky caliper as they are brand new. I brought it back and they said that they see nothing wrong. I don't thinkt hat the rotors are glazed, it would squeel if they were glazed and not groan right? Can i just spray some brake cleaner on the rotors without taking the wheel off, and maybe try to get some spray in between the rotor and pad? Do you think it would help? GRRR.
Also, i get a clicking sound when I go from reverse to drive, and from drive to reverse a split second after a press the gas. Teh dealer says that it the pads shifting and that is normal, but these are very prominent clicks, and they happen 9 out of ten times i shift. Anyboudy else have this? Thanks again!