4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y Pipe Install Procedure Check..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Y Pipe Install Procedure Check..

I'm getting my y pipe tomorrow. Just wanted to check the procedure, make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Step 1: Spray WD-40 on all nuts, especially on the two nuts on the CAT and let sit for several minutes.

Step 2: Remove plastic tie that holds the O2 sensor wire harness to the engine, allowing for some leverage.

Step 3: Remove the bolts connecting the Y Pipe to the headers.
(Place something to hold the the y pipe so that it doesn't fall to the floor)

Step 4: Remove the bolts connecting the Y pipe to the cat.

Step 5: Lower y pipe and remove 02 sensors.

Step 6: Do the whole process backwards...but install the o2 sensors last.

Right?

Just some other questions... what size are the nuts and bolts again? also... what's the best way to remove the o2 sensors if I don't have that special tool your supposed to use?
Old 05-17-2004, 07:20 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Remove the O2 sensors first when you're taking the stock pipe out. I believe you'll need a 12mm deep socket for the Y-pipe-header nuts and a 16mm wrench for the O2 sensors.

~THT
Old 05-17-2004, 09:26 PM

Not soooo fast...you are close but a few tips to make it a little easier. I just did this install on Saturday.

Step 2: Disconnect the O2 sensors, and take the time to free the harnesses from all clip points and feed the harness down through the engine bay so they dangle free. Doing this will allow you to mess with the O2's when the Y is off the car. You are less likely to damage a sensor or harness this way.

Step 3: Loosen.. don't remove yet... all the bolts at the manifolds and cat 14mm deep socket, a universal joint and a 12" extension

Step 4: Use a jack stand to support from the cat back. Place it on the pipe between the cat and resonator.

Step 5: Remove the heat shield from the cat. This will make dealing with the cat hanger/pipe flange easier. 10mm socket

Step 6: Remove the 2 bolts holding the hanger rubbers to the body of the car. 12mm wrench needed here, its a little tight.

Step 7: Remove the 2 bolts holding the Y pipe to the bottom of the engine. They're located between the pre-cats. You may want to remove the bracket later as well, the new Y wont use this mount. 12mm and 10mm sockets

Step 8: Remove the loosened bolts off the cat and manifolds. I did this while supporting the Y on my chest. Once free, carefully lower it to the ground and slide it out from under the car.

Step 9: Swap the O2's from old-Y to new-Y. If you don't have the special socket a 22mm wrench will do the job. I used my trusty old Craftsman adjustable. Worked a charm.

Step 10: Beer.

Step 11: Mosquito Replellent ..why them bastards always come out when you're under a car and can't swat at them....sheesh

Step 12: Go Backwrds...but skip Step 10 until you get back to Step 1 or you won't get there.

Use a coat hanger to feed the rear sensor harness back up into the engine bay.
Be sure to tighten the manifold nuts evenly and in sequence like you would a wheel otherwise the crush gasket may not seal properly.

All that aught to take you under an hour if you take your time.

Cheers!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:40 PM

under an hour IF you can take the bolts off and the 02 sensors off... that was a real pain for me.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

cat bolt was the biznatch. It's better if it's on a lift so you'll have more leverage on the cat bolts.