4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Worst near accident or accident horror stories.....POST PICS if possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 02:43 PM

October 2001

I was heading down to Miami from Fort Lauderdale at 6am. I was on the Turnpike in the middle lane (of three lanes) and I was only doing about 65. I was coming up on two slower cars in my lane. I check my mirros and there's a truck coming up in the left lane, so I let him pass and change lanes in behing him. I was 3-4 car lengths behind him. Next thing I know, the truck ( a Ford F250) swerves to the right and almost takes out the two cars in the middle lane that we were passing...what do I see in front of me??? A white chevy van DEAD STOPPED in the left lane....I didn't even have time to take my foot off the gas pedal...I just saw the truck swerve, white van..BOOM!!! I figure I was doing 70mph when I hit. There were nine cars involved behind me...so yeah, I took it from both ends. I'm sure the guy in the truck saw what happened but just kept going...wasn't really his fault...it was obviously the van....

Anyways...I only had some scratches and bruising from the seat belt. My 95 Maxima saved my life. I ended up perpendicular to on coming traffic in the middle lane...I was praying not to get T-boned and I didn't. I remember the first person that came up to my car...he came up to the passanger side and looked in with this totally shocked look on his face. He opened the door and said "are you all right". I said " I think so" and then he said " Dude, I thought you would be dead for sure...you should see your car..there's not much left"....that was kind of a shock.

I didn't get to see the car that day because they took me out of the car on a back board and sent me to the hospital where everything turned out okay. The state trooper showed up to inform me that the van had broken down and they didn't move it off the road...it was also full of illegal mexicans. The troopers called immigrations on them...but immigrations said they "didn't feel like picking them up". So the troopers put them in jail. I don't know what happened to them.

So that's my story. Sorry I don't have pics...but basically look at your car and remove the engine bay and trunk and that was what was left of my car....the passenger compartment stood up incredibly well...thanks Nissan.

Dan
Old 05-26-2004, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maxin It
Some Audi accident

Maybe a lot of you have seen this but somethin to think about next time you drive fast
Looks like he saved his faceplate!
Old 05-26-2004, 03:10 PM

1st- in reply to the audi accident, i dont think it was set up, but the crazy thing is that, that accident happened only at 60 mph., makes ya think dont it.

2nd- This last thanksgiving , 2 days after my b-day, and on the way to my girls house i had a very unexpected run in with 2 trees, those things just seem to jump out right in front of you. This resulted in my totaling my 97 grand cherokee. It had been rainin all day, and i had just finished eatin dinner, i was doin like 65-70 on a 4 lane road, deerfield parkway, and i was comin around a corner when a stupid little security truck pulled out in front of me and i had to switch into the left lane while goin around a right turn, i ended up hittin the first tree on the front left at like 65, then it put me into a 360, then i went head on into another tree. the whole thing happened in slow motion from the time that i knew that i was screwed to the time the whole thing was over. it scared the evr living crap out of me, for like 2 weeks everytime i closed my eyes, all i could see was the accident happening. i drive down that road everyday almost and have to look at that damn tree, which they had to replace, and think of my beloved jeep.
click here for pictures http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/432825/2
Old 05-26-2004, 03:50 PM

You guys havent seen anything yet intill you gone to this site:

http://www.wreckedexotics.com

Just go to BAD Wrecks and your going to be like OMGGG!
Old 05-26-2004, 03:52 PM

^^^^^yea, that site is just depressing
Old 05-26-2004, 04:36 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

that site is sick, and i feel for all you guys, if i had to tell you guys about all the accidents i've had, i could write a whole book! so i'll spare you all lol.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:42 PM

According to the pace notes being read to me:
50 - Four Left Plus - Keep Inside
Basically, in 50 meters there's a left hander that you can take in 4th gear and keep inside.

What we actually observed:
A much sharper turn, probably a three minus (low 3rd gear) and a water channel about a foot deep and two feet wide on the outside of the turn. Which really should have been read as something like:
50 - Three Left Minus - Caution, Ditch Outside

Obviously, we went way too fast and there wasn't enough time to correct or slow down before sliding sideways into the small water channel which caused the car to immediately roll. Unfortunately, this wasn't a sanctioned event (more or less illegal on back roads that are mostly gravel) or the pace notes would have probably been a bit more accurate. Ya live and learn; the hard way most times.

Fortunately, no one was hurt during our brief moment of sheer stupidity and poor judgement.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:30 PM

ok here goes, 2 mentality changing experiences:
1st- 10th grade driving down a very dangerous 2 lane each way w/ a median road. speed limit 55mph, scenario- 10:00 friday night, 8 of us in 4 cars, mazda mx3, nissan 240sx, chevy cavalier, and the goddman grand am. each of em weaving in and out of traffic at about 110mph, car changes lanes to pass, everyone slams break, mazda that was leading saved by cavalier, which was missed by the 240sx that went into the median to avoid the collision, grand am slides right in to the front of the 240 spinning it 90 degrees, and plows the back of the cavalier at 70mph.
the cavalier that i was in one week to the day of the accident...

after

story 2 in the maxima- friend always that his car was better then mine, his goal in life was always have the fastest car in our group, so he always thought he could take me, one night leaving a friends house we mess around and race from 50mph, now he has a 1991 se-r with intake, header, exhuast, sts, and a little other stuff. so me in the maxima being stock except a conefilter pull on him. he has 4 people in his car total which weighed about 600lbs total, i had 3 they weighed about 500lbs total, i pulled on him like he was standing still, so anyways he wants to really throwdown because he said it was a fluke so we turn around and stop in the middle of the road, "go on the 3rd light," i say because my friend has a flashlight, he says ok and before the second light he takes off, now theres a van about 3/4 mile ahead of us in my lane, so i proceed even though he got the jump by mid 2nd, i was a foot in the lead, by the end of 3rd im a car length ahead, sometime in 4th, holy ****, VAN!!!!!! i start to check my mirror to get in front of my friend, but no hes still racing. im doing 117 at the moment, i start braking this van is coming up fast. i slammed the brakes and swerve onto the shoulder, backend sliding all over the road, each tire taking turns locking up(i dont have abs), by the time i slowed down noticably, my headlights were even with the back of the front door. if i didnt swerve, funerals would have been valid. anyways, the "friend" of mine said he won, and that if i was ahead of him i would have gotten in front of him, even though 7 of us said otherwise, then he gave in said i won but said that if i dont want to put my life in his hands to not race him, regardless im no longer friends with him and he now has a twitch in his right eye, (im lefthanded).
Old 05-26-2004, 06:19 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Too bad about the 240. Hope you have better friends now.

I've had a few close calls with various cars or should I say, SUVs. Every single incident has involved a woman driving an SUV; not making a broad generalization, just saying what's happened to me, personally. The last few encounters have been them changing lanes and not bothering to check if there's a car in the lane they want to get into. Every time, I've been fortunate enough to react fast enough to hit the brakes and jerk the wheel in a different direction all while riding the horn.

Another incident involved me yielding when I had the right of way. The elderly woman (easily in her 80s) proceeded to give me the finger as she passed me. I had no clue why but was tempted to flip a b**** and tailgate her until she had a heart attack, stroke, or both.

~THT
Old 05-26-2004, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by aspec0002
ok here goes, 2 mentality changing experiences:
1st- 10th grade driving down a very dangerous 2 lane each way w/ a median road. speed limit 55mph, scenario- 10:00 friday night, 8 of us in 4 cars, mazda mx3, nissan 240sx, chevy cavalier, and the goddman grand am. each of em weaving in and out of traffic at about 110mph, car changes lanes to pass, everyone slams break, mazda that was leading saved by cavalier, which was missed by the 240sx that went into the median to avoid the collision, grand am slides right in to the front of the 240 spinning it 90 degrees, and plows the back of the cavalier at 70mph.
the cavalier that i was in one week to the day of the accident...

after

story 2 in the maxima- friend always that his car was better then mine, his goal in life was always have the fastest car in our group, so he always thought he could take me, one night leaving a friends house we mess around and race from 50mph, now he has a 1991 se-r with intake, header, exhuast, sts, and a little other stuff. so me in the maxima being stock except a conefilter pull on him. he has 4 people in his car total which weighed about 600lbs total, i had 3 they weighed about 500lbs total, i pulled on him like he was standing still, so anyways he wants to really throwdown because he said it was a fluke so we turn around and stop in the middle of the road, "go on the 3rd light," i say because my friend has a flashlight, he says ok and before the second light he takes off, now theres a van about 3/4 mile ahead of us in my lane, so i proceed even though he got the jump by mid 2nd, i was a foot in the lead, by the end of 3rd im a car length ahead, sometime in 4th, holy ****, VAN!!!!!! i start to check my mirror to get in front of my friend, but no hes still racing. im doing 117 at the moment, i start braking this van is coming up fast. i slammed the brakes and swerve onto the shoulder, backend sliding all over the road, each tire taking turns locking up(i dont have abs), by the time i slowed down noticably, my headlights were even with the back of the front door. if i didnt swerve, funerals would have been valid. anyways, the "friend" of mine said he won, and that if i was ahead of him i would have gotten in front of him, even though 7 of us said otherwise, then he gave in said i won but said that if i dont want to put my life in his hands to not race him, regardless im no longer friends with him and he now has a twitch in his right eye, (im lefthanded).
This is like the third post I've read recently (not only this thread) about street racing that almost caused an accident...... why cant you guys get it through your head its stupid, dangerous and your a bunch of idiots for doing it. YOU CANT CONTROL OTHER VEHICLES ON THE ROAD. Not only could you kill yourself but that van that was probably doing the speed limit and inconvenienced you by getting in your way.. when god knows it could've been me with my kids going home. Not to be a d!ck but I had to get that out of me. And just to be a sport, heres my story.

10PM at night I'm on Atlantic Ave which is a 3 lane road and Nostrand Ave. Theres a motorcycle in front of me and the light turns green and we go. After 2 green lights, were both crusing at about 40MPH with the bike directly in front of me about 5 car lengths. Out of nowhere some guy just crosses the street without looking, directly into the middle lane where we are going! The guy on the bike never hit the brakes but he tries to go around... as the guy turns his head, bam! the bike hits him dead in his chest, with the eeriest, most disturbing thud I've ever heard. The biker goes flying into the median and almost into oncoming traffic.. he flew about 40 feet head first. The pedestrian is flat out on the street. I block off traffic and lucky ESU was right around the corner. The pedestrian was out cold, bleeding from the ears, nose, mouth, his eyes were sunk into the back of his head and twitching... his shoes were about 20 feet in different directions. Sad to say but he wasnt going to make it. The biker was hurt pretty bad too, he couldnt get up but he made it.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:17 AM

yes i know its stupid, and after that close call, i made it a point to realize it was all a sign to stop street racing, and i dont, and wont ever again, needless to say, it was only an act of god that i didnt very well spin out of control or hurt anyone, i am sorry for street racing its very stupid, therefore i dont and wont. thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 10:54 AM

Can't find the pictures but....

I was in my red 99 SE Ltd. that I had for all of 7 weeks. I was changing lanes to exit a highway. There was traffic backed up on the exit ramp so I was slowing down. The line of cars started to move in front of me so I let off the break and coasted. Just as I was reaching the back of the line it stopped so I had to stop short. Unfortunately the guy in back of me did not see me stopping. He was in an Explorer and had to be doing at least 40 when he hit me. Airbags popped and filled the car with dust. I had been pushed into the car in front of me damaging the front end. The rear end was about two feet shorter than it should have been. Luckily I had no passengers because the spoiler launched off of the trunk lid and through my back window. I ended up with just some nasty seat belt bruises, a sore back and a few cuts from flying glass. Car was totaled and I had to replace many of the golf clubs I had in the trunk.

This was in 2001 and last weekend I finally bought a Maxima to replace the first. Here's hoping I get to keep it a bit longer.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by aspec0002
yes i know its stupid, and after that close call, i made it a point to realize it was all a sign to stop street racing, and i dont, and wont ever again, needless to say, it was only an act of god that i didnt very well spin out of control or hurt anyone, i am sorry for street racing its very stupid, therefore i dont and wont. thanks
No hard feelings but I'm glad you and everyone else is fine.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:47 AM

oh no man, you cant be mad at the preacher for telling the truth. i fully understand, no hard feelings, im glad i learned this way rather then the harder way.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

same here ^ ^
Old 06-02-2004, 11:18 PM

anymore stories??
Old 06-03-2004, 12:16 AM

I was on my way to work the other day and was doing about 80 over an over pass when a lady that was also doing 80 merged on the highway and came all the way over without looking. I jerked to the left and nailed the horn. She missed me by about an inch. I was off in the sand on my left side and by the time I corrected and avoided her (all in a fraction of a second), I was sliding down the highway at about 80 moh's at a 45 degree angle just struggling to regain the car before I spun out. Needles to say, she drove a civic and I had to change my shorts!
Old 06-03-2004, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 96stillen_max
iv eseen that before, i think it was staged. look at the ground the dirt and everything around there isnt even torn up, if an engine went flying out of a car, thr ground would be torn up, it looks like everything was placed there.

Really? I dont think those marks on the trees look staged at all. Looks like the car definitely was airborn though

Old 06-03-2004, 08:54 AM

When I was 19 I almost got into a really bad one. I had just smoked with a friend and was driving east bound on the service road to the I-495. There was only one car on the road because it was around 3 or so in the morning. Anyway this retard must have been drinking because he tossed a bottle out of the window. A few min later he was driving parallel to me and started to drift into me, so I sped up to avoid him. This *** kept on doing it so I floored it and all he did was follow me. For about 2 miles all he did was try to run me off the road in his piece of junk. Anyway I slammed on the brakes and made a left under the I-495 so I could turn around and head west bound. This guy stopped, backed up and followed. I was faster then him so I had a few car lengths in front of him but the headlights on the ford were really bad so I couldn’t see much. I thought the road went left so I took it that way. At 90-100 maybe more you can’t see much plus being high as a kite doesn’t help. I found myself in a residential area. With him still following me, I tied to loose him. At this one moment I thought that I had. He was still behind me but with his lights off. He turned them on and was flashing them like a mad man. I sped up and thought there was a rock on the road, so I went left. At that moment I was back on the service road. The road went downhill and in about 20 or so seconds I saw headlights looking straight at me! There was no where to go and I was going far to fast to slow down any time soon. By an act of God I saw a house with a driveway. I sped up dipped around 2 cars and shot up the driveway blowing up one of my tires. I swear I had no heart beat when the car came to a stop. If I was a little bit off I would have caused a huge accident and would have killed myself or worse other people. That was the last time I smoked and drove. I always wondered what went through the minds of those people that saw me coming head on; none of them seemed to slow down
Old 06-03-2004, 09:43 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

I had a guy pull a u-turn on the freeway right in front of me while I was doing 70-75. You know when you're walking down a corridor towards someone and you're both standing ont he same side and you both switch to the other side once or twice? He did the same thing - he headed out towards the right lane when I started to swerve right, so I changed direction and swerved left, but he also swerved back left again (presumably to let me past on the right...) I ended up doing a panic stop from 75 to about 5mph on the freeway and missed him by under a foot.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:09 PM

this thread makes me cringe
Old 06-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bad run in with a mack truck:(

Well, I have to admit, this was my mistake...somewhat. It was a rainy morning, headed to work and ended up in a huge backup. I said to myself, "The hell with this", and I decided to take the nearest U-turn I could find. I was headed down 270 South in Frederick County MD. Well, I was making a U-turn onto a 2 lane highway and I saw a semi coming but he was just coming over the hill and he was in the far right lane. So, I decided to go, but instead of taking a tight u-turn, I took a wide U-turn and my front right tire crossed over the center dotted line. Well, that's all it took to fake the semi out...he thought I was headed over into his lane directly in front of him, but I knew he was in that lane! Why would I have put myself right in front of him! So anyway, I get straightened up in the left lane and I look in my rear view mirror to see where the semi is by now, and wouldn't you know it...All I could see was grill and headlights...what a picture! I just knew right there that there was nothing I could do. After that, I heard the crash and bang...my *** end was all crushed in, and my back window popped right out. I was absolutely sick. Since the truck driver thought I was putting myself in his lane, he decided to compensate by changing lanes...what a shame.

Ok, I have 5 pictures of my car from the accident, but I dont know how to put the pictures in this post? I'm a newbie
Old 06-03-2004, 05:20 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

that one sounds painful
Old 06-03-2004, 06:03 PM

yea i lost my pride and joy to an accident. i was driving down a back road like in the industrial area and doin bout 45 in a 35 and i saw an intersection and it was night and no one was around so i was like well what the hell i dont fee like slammin on the brakes so i just was gonna go through it and when i got up on it i noticed it was a T!!! instead of a 4 WAY!! needless to say it was to late by then and i slammed on my brakes and it the hudge curb got airborn and slammed back down in a field. DAMAGE: F*cked up body kit both front and back all 4 rims had a lil dent and air bubble in the tire popped my front right tire and the air bags went off causting the windshield to crack. THE WORST NIGHT OF MY LIFE!!