4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Retrofitted headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 04:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Retrofitted headlight questions

I have Bi-xenon projectors in my lamp housings and i need to know how to keep the lights on when i switch to high beam. The solinoid works but I dont get any light!!!!! All that have done this mod i need your help.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Drstove
I have Bi-xenon projectors in my lamp housings and i need to know how to keep the lights on when i switch to high beam. The solinoid works but I dont get any light!!!!! All that have done this mod i need your help.
What's up man! I'm the guy who sold you the 1996 Max. I just saw your pics of it - it looks nice! The fixed up interior is great. What all did you fix/replace? It's nice to see that it's still being driven. I miss driving it! Happen to have any more pictures besides what you have posted on CarDomain?

- Sorry I don't know how to solve your problem with the headlights. I just happened to see your post and wanted to see what's up. Those headlights look sweet though!
Old 06-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Still kickin'

One thing you can do is to wire the corners to light the hid's, and use the low beam to run the corners. that's what i did. you'll need to replace the 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp one (it could be a 10, but mine was a 15). you won't have "parking lights" so to speak, but you can use the high beam on the stalk and the corners will go out...not that you need them with high's anyway. if you still have questions, pm me.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:39 AM

Sorry for being a thread ***** but mad-max-se I looked at your cardamain site and I'm wondering why you got my radio and my auto meter air/fuel guage. Matter of fact, same model same year different color tho. Great minds think alike. I have my guage mounted into the ashtray. Nice projectors too.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Ramius83

You can use a regular 5-pin Automotive relay.

There are pins 85, 86, 30, 87, and 87A.

85 - Ground
86 - High Beam from headlight socket
30 - HID Unit +
87 - Low Beam from headlight socket
87A - Bi-xenon solenoid +

I also spliced the high beam wire from the headlight socket onto the actual high beam solenoid wire.

So, when you turn on your projectors, there is power going to pin 87 and it is going to pin 30 on the relay and to the HID unit giving you light. When you turn on the high-beams, the relay is activated by pin 86 (the high beam wire from the headlight socket). When activated, pin 87 closes off from pin 30 because the relay does that automatically, but it activates pin 87A (which is connected to both the high beam solenoid on the projectors and to the headlight socket high beam wire).

Old 06-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Still kickin'

Originally Posted by 2naboy
Sorry for being a thread ***** but mad-max-se I looked at your cardamain site and I'm wondering why you got my radio and my auto meter air/fuel guage. Matter of fact, same model same year different color tho. Great minds think alike. I have my guage mounted into the ashtray. Nice projectors too.
Haha, cool deal man...i have a slight blue fetish , when i do my nitrous setup, i'm thinking about putting my nitrous pressure gauge in the ashtray. do you have yours so you see it when it opens, or did you drill through the cover...actually pm me...don't want to ***** up the thread to bad, lol.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
One thing you can do is to wire the corners to light the hid's, and use the low beam to run the corners. that's what i did. you'll need to replace the 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp one (it could be a 10, but mine was a 15). you won't have "parking lights" so to speak, but you can use the high beam on the stalk and the corners will go out...not that you need them with high's anyway. if you still have questions, pm me.
what site did u get the retro lights from i have been looking for some diff head lights and are they hid lights. I heard hid light do not have high beam is this true
Old 06-03-2004, 06:16 PM

to Mad Max, i currently bought the projectors cause i have Porsche HIDs. what i wanted to know is tht did you insall the projectors into your stock healights or did you get new headlights?
Old 06-03-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by makiya
what site did u get the retro lights from i have been looking for some diff head lights and are they hid lights. I heard hid light do not have high beam is this true
He got his projectors from Indigomax, a member that used to post here. He made a couple for and sold them but has since disappeared.

You can go to www.hidtech.com and have them retrofit Euro-spec hella bi-xenon projectors plus a Philips 4300K HID kit for around $490. Lucky for you they are based in NYC so you can go there personally.

http://hidtech.com/projects/01146.jpg
http://hidtech.com/projects/01148.jpg
Old 06-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Still kickin'

Originally Posted by makiya
I heard hid light do not have high beam is this true
With most hid kit's you lose high beams, but with a Bixenon projector setup, they have built-in selenoids that move a flap up and down to allow for both high and low beams

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
He got his projectors from Indigomax, a member that used to post here. He made a couple for and sold them but has since disappeared.
Yeah, that's almost right, but not exactly how it went down. from what i have deduced, indigo only made one set. yes i know he had pics of different types, but i can do that with photoshop...plus the pics of the different types wher at the exact same angle and on the same little petistal (sp?) thing. the ones he had on his car i believe are now on my car. myself and soulrupture both took the gamble to get these lights. i ordered mine first, and soulrupture ordered like a day or so later. about the day i recieved mine, i got a call from soulrupture. he said that indigo (sebastian) called him because he dropped soul's headlights, and they broke. he said he wouldn't be able to fix them and gave soul a refund. i recieved mine shortly thereafter. i had a slew of problems and after countless emails and calls i could not reach sebastian. he basically skipped town and ripped me off on what it was that i got (he charged me $15 for the install video which wasn't even close to what it was i had, and refused to give me a refund ). Soulrupture was the one who had his made through HIDtech.com. i've got plans for mine though, so it's not a total loss.

BTW, after having to take mine apart 3 times, i know how to make them, and have actually almost finished a comprehensive a writeup. I am just waiting for money to do my project, so that i can add pics so people don't get confused and screw up their headlights, and blame me, lol.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:44 AM

i thought you had your projectors up and working for a long time based on the pictures on your cardomain... what are you doing with them now?

i really want to see your writeup cause my projectors should be here in a few days and i cant wait to get started on this
Old 06-04-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by bgruver
What's up man! I'm the guy who sold you the 1996 Max. I just saw your pics of it - it looks nice! The fixed up interior is great. What all did you fix/replace? It's nice to see that it's still being driven. I miss driving it! Happen to have any more pictures besides what you have posted on CarDomain?

- Sorry I don't know how to solve your problem with the headlights. I just happened to see your post and wanted to see what's up. Those headlights look sweet though!
Was up man I fixed the rear brakes and i still havent replace the clutch yet it feels fine to me but i did have to put a knock sensor on and a egr solenoid on it .
The max is running fine thanks; I did take off your viper and put in a new viper 791XV with remote start . Yeah I got a few more ill have to post .