4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Converting tan interior to black, need a lil help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 08:08 PM

Converting tan interior to black, need a lil help!!!

well im getting my black leather frot seats and i just remember that the front passenger seat is going to be power. i have a gxe and i just wanted to know if there is already a harness for the power seats. i looked under there and couldnt find anything. i remember this being asked alot but i dont remember if there was any problems.

im also going to replace the rear seats and the door pannels as soon as they come in.

since i dont have the pillars and cant find them anywhere i decided i would just paint them black. i already attempted to remove the front pilars and i damn near cracked it in half. i used a flat head screw driver to try to pry it off. is there a certain way to remve the front pillars. the next ones are the middle pillars, how can i get them off with the seatbelt in the way. would this need to be painted in the car or is there a relatively simple way to remove them, same thing goes for the rear pillars. i plan on painting all of the other stuff such as the kick plates and the door sills. the carpet will be swapped out as soon as i get a chance, and im going to attempt something new by having a custom carbon fiber headliner made in the future.

well i hope you guys can shed some advice on my lil project, anything to look out for, stuff i might need to buy, any recomendations on paint,(plan on using duplicolor(?), anyone successfully completed a full leather interior/color swap?

TIA
Old 05-25-2004, 08:54 AM

anybody???????
Old 05-25-2004, 11:02 AM

I think one of the only problems you might run into is that the seat belt will still be tan. I don't know of a way to switch it.

I suppose you could just get the whole new assembly, but that would probably be a huge pain.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:40 AM

i did a interior swap and i had the same problem. Heres what i did.. I just ran a power lead from the fuse box to the harness and then i ran a ground from the harness to my frame underneath my seat. everything works great for me. however if that seat is heated then it gets a little tricky. hope that was helpful
Old 05-25-2004, 11:47 AM

sorry i got more advice here. i guess i should of read the whole post first. anyways here goes.. the front pillars are pretty easy to get off i just grabbed them with my hands and litely squezzed and pulled and it popped off. The middle or B-Pillar as it is also known as, for this you need to take the bolt off the seatbelt thingy and then those just pop right off with a little effort. Now for the pain in the ***... The back ones suck *****... These are really tricky because nissan has like 5 clips in the back of these and you have to slowly go and put your hand behind and pop them off. I got a little crack in mine and painted it and now you cant tell but it still ****ed me off. Anyways thats about it and good luck. Post Pics when your done and if you want check out my swap at my site pages 6 and 7. http://members.cardomain.com/conz35
Old 05-25-2004, 12:08 PM

I did a swap as well except i kept my tan roof liner, tan floor, tan rear deck lid, and used tan leather door inserts on black panels then im doing tan and black leather seats. Anyways for C pillar yes they are a real pain in the butt and need to be takin off by hand very slowly and the only way to get them in black is buying them at a junkyard with the black seat belts. for the B pillars its best to take the seats out for this one. theres a bolt right below the Bpillar un bolt that. then goto the part where the seat belt adjust on the top half of the B pillar slide that piece down un bolt that then slide it up and unbolt that. Then you should be able to pull the B pillars off by hand (carefully and they are a little easier than the C pillars). For the A pillars u have to do them by hand very gently. start by taking the rubber molding off or leaving it hang. Then wedge your finers under that and pry from the top part where it meets at the roof liner but give it equal presure by pulling at both top corners not in the middle or it will crack. Also if you have a long flat head sckrew driver and working your way in and prying lightly at the tabs inside it helps even for the C pillar i highly recomend that. i swapped my dads friends car which had black interior to mine and i had 2 tan interiors so i basically did 3 swaps i made my 2 tone the way i liked it Turned the black interior (GXE) to an SE tan leather interioron my dads friends max and i ran wires myself for the power seating right off the constant power (ignition) bc the seats are always functuoning even when the car is off and the workeed perfect. The other guys roof i through away bc it was all messed up and so was his grey carpetting but i swapped in the entire tan interior to his car from belts to dash. i can tell you anything u need to know or how to unbolt its very simple and a lot of time. all 3 cars took me 2 days with no expierce of removing an entire interior to just bare metal and back to full funtion no problems and no bolts missing.

Hope i was some help and if any questions are needed or any pics for proof PM anytime or email me civic93HBgsr@aol.com
Old 05-25-2004, 01:50 PM

you guys are friggin awsome. i figure when i remove the front seats ill go ahead and do the b pillars at the same time. and the seat belts being tan will definantly bother me but i cant seem to find any black ones. when i have the rear seats out ill go ahead and take off the rear deck and hopefully it might be a lil easier to get at the c pillars.

roof will be done professionaly as soon as i get a quote for what i want.

anybody know how much it is to professionaly get a dash painted. i want i converted from brown to black, or is it better to do it myself. it seems like a big job and i want it to look nice.

any other advice guys. so to get the power seats to work on passenger side i basicly need to run a wire to the seats from any 12v source and ground it.? how do i remove the seats, all i can see is 4 bolts per seat, i currently have an eye patch on due to an accident and my vission is sorta iffy.

thanx in advance guys i appreciate all of your help and will post pics asap
Old 05-25-2004, 02:32 PM

There are lots of guys that are painting their own dash. You ought to research that a little before you hire it out.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:21 PM

there is only the 4 bolts on the front seats and any power clips you might have. As for the dash i painted mine and it is a big project but if you have patience and lots of time then you can do it. I painted mine. I used Krylon Flat Black and i just applied 7 coats to the dash and that was about it. Just do light coats and mist it on the dash. It well worth it in the end, you save money and i like how it looks. Good Luck
Oh yeah black seat belts are 50 for the front two and 50 for the back two at a junk yard in Roy, WA
Just thought i's let you know.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by conz35
there is only the 4 bolts on the front seats and any power clips you might have. As for the dash i painted mine and it is a big project but if you have patience and lots of time then you can do it. I painted mine. I used Krylon Flat Black and i just applied 7 coats to the dash and that was about it. Just do light coats and mist it on the dash. It well worth it in the end, you save money and i like how it looks. Good Luck
Oh yeah black seat belts are 50 for the front two and 50 for the back two at a junk yard in Roy, WA
Just thought i's let you know.

thanx for all your help man. how much paint did u need for the dash. is newspaper good enough to mask everything off. i have thurs fri sat and sun to finish this up. what kind of technique should i use as far as spraying, i dont want the paint to run and look all uneven. i have a good amount of time, i can walk to work and dont really need to use the maxima. im also going to paint all the pillars, kick plates, center console, and the 4 door sills black in addition to the dash. i figure 3 cans should do it??? anything else i need to pick of from the store while im there. thanx again for everything.

i jus got back from picking up the seats and these things are sweet as fawk. only problem is the leather is riped on the rear armrest. they are super nice and im gonna pick up some leather conditioner tomorow to give everything a nice lil polish.

thanx for all your help guys you are awsome, i feel like such a noob but thanx for takin it easy on me and not flaming
Old 05-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Magikone69
thanx for all your help man. how much paint did u need for the dash. is newspaper good enough to mask everything off. i have thurs fri sat and sun to finish this up. what kind of technique should i use as far as spraying, i dont want the paint to run and look all uneven. i have a good amount of time, i can walk to work and dont really need to use the maxima. im also going to paint all the pillars, kick plates, center console, and the 4 door sills black in addition to the dash. i figure 3 cans should do it??? anything else i need to pick of from the store while im there. thanx again for everything.

i jus got back from picking up the seats and these things are sweet as fawk. only problem is the leather is riped on the rear armrest. they are super nice and im gonna pick up some leather conditioner tomorow to give everything a nice lil polish.

thanx for all your help guys you are awsome, i feel like such a noob but thanx for takin it easy on me and not flaming

Your best bet is to use an interior paint. It is very easy to apply and very reasonable in price. It will look much better in the long run 'cause if the krylon starts to peel from the sun there's no stopping it. Check your local automotive paint supply store and get a quart of interior paint. Trust me on this. If you have the time and paitience I recommend pulling the dash for painting. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by batldroid32
Your best bet is to use an interior paint. It is very easy to apply and very reasonable in price. It will look much better in the long run 'cause if the krylon starts to peel from the sun there's no stopping it. Check your local automotive paint supply store and get a quart of interior paint. Trust me on this. If you have the time and paitience I recommend pulling the dash for painting. Good luck.
if i could i would rather buy a paint that i could apply with a brush since i could apply it without making any mess and it seems as if it would be easier. is there any good paint i could buy that i could apply with a brush. i really want an enamel paint so it is smooth to the touch. the paint i saw at the automotive place seemed ok and it says it is designed for vinyl and will not rub off. i have time but i really dont want to pull the entire dash apart, the most ill do is just remove the center consol and radio and stuff. i really dont want to do a half *** job but i really cant take out that dash esp since i live in s fl and it is hot as ballz down here.

also is it good to keep the dash warm, if i leave the car parked in the sun the dash gets warm will that help the paint adhere, or will it allow the dash to expand and the paint can fillin all the gaps better. or is it better to do this in the shade so it wont dammage the paint. lol this is turning out to be a lil more challanging than i expected.

thanx for your input guys
Old 05-25-2004, 09:22 PM

In my expierences and take it from me ive painted alot of interior pieces over the past two years, I have found that Krylon flat black is the best interior paint. There are several reasons for this...
1. Looks real Good
2. Hasnt chipped or scratched at all!!!
3. Hasnt Faded one bit
As for Duplicolor Vinyl Dash Paint...
I used this on numerous pieces before i did my interior just to get a two tone look and it ended up scratching of be my girlfriends nail and then began to chip. I hated having to repaint a piece because of a little tiny chip or scratch. Then i decided i was going to paint my dash, i knew that i didnt want to use duplicolor so i decided to look at other options. This is when i found Krylon. However i wanted to test its durability to fingernails so i painted my door handle cover thingy and practiced scratching the **** out of it. I swear it didnt do ****. only when i took a screw driver and scraped it did it scratch. That was good enough for me so i taped of all of my windows and my floor and took of my center console, seats, pillars,vents, etc. Heated up my garage and began to spray a lite( very lite) coat of paint. It took me 2-3 coats before i couldnt see anymore brown dash. Then i just litely added some more coats and after a night of letting it cure. A new dash. Then i painted all my pillars and dome light, map light, steering wheel column, etc. Then added one more final coat to the dash and let it all dry. Then i started putting everything back together. Only advice i have is take your time, enjoy, and take some pics. I wish i would have taken mor pics. As for time i would spray a lite coat and hold a heater in my hand that was aimed at the dash ( from a distance of a couple feet) and would wait 15- 20 minutes. Then i would mist another coat on and grab the heater again and so on. Sorry if this is confusing if you have any ??? let me know and i will try to clear it up. Good Luck
Old 05-26-2004, 08:49 AM

sounds good conz, thanx for all of your help, when i update the cardomain site i will be sure to put your name 1st on the list of people who helped out

i think i pretty much got the jist of it 1st thing i have to do is get the armrest of the rear seat upholstered cause it has a nice rip in it thats getting worse. then im going to go ahead and remove the tan seats, pillars and all the other pieces which need to get painted. ill go ahead and prep those pieces and paint them 1st since they will be so much easier to do than the dash. after that i will start the prepping of the dash and the interior and start spraying the dash. after i let everythig cure i will give it a final inspection to make sure everything looks good and then ill go ahead and start putting the pieces back in including the seats. hopefully i can get this all done in like 2-4 days

i have a friend helpig also so it may be quicker with an extra set of hands. i rreeeeaaaly need to get my hands on a digi cam but my hommie has his head up his girls @ss so its really hard to get in contact with him.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:18 PM

well i have everything i progress now, the car is completly gutted with exception to the carpet still being installed. im going to go ahead and order me a new carpet (thinking of either black or dark dark grey) well so far i have all the removed pieces painted and it looks great, i used the krylon flat black, works pretty well and seems to be durable. i have my doors comeing in tomorow and plan on getting those carbon fiber looking vinyl inserts going for sale in the GD forum.

here is my problem, im having problems figuring out how to wire up the passanger leather seats. i cant figure out how to wire them. on the drivers side there are 2 sets of harnesses, one big one small. how can i go about installing the passenger side. any help would be greatly appreciated.

also any suggestions while everything is out. i was gonna go ahead and sound dampin the floor. other things i have planned for interior was a new e-brake handle and boot. leather armrest cover, auto shift ****, and carbon fiber dash kit. all of those are gonna come in later on when the cash comes in. any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:37 PM

How about the steering wheel? Are you going to paint that too or just buy a new one in black?

This is a great thread since I'm planning on this swap myself.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 PM

let us know how much ws your cost on all this ?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by conz35
In my expierences and take it from me ive painted alot of interior pieces over the past two years, I have found that Krylon flat black is the best interior paint. There are several reasons for this...
1. Looks real Good
2. Hasnt chipped or scratched at all!!!
3. Hasnt Faded one bit
As for Duplicolor Vinyl Dash Paint...
I used this on numerous pieces before i did my interior just to get a two tone look and it ended up scratching of be my girlfriends nail and then began to chip. I hated having to repaint a piece because of a little tiny chip or scratch. Then i decided i was going to paint my dash, i knew that i didnt want to use duplicolor so i decided to look at other options. This is when i found Krylon. However i wanted to test its durability to fingernails so i painted my door handle cover thingy and practiced scratching the **** out of it. I swear it didnt do ****. only when i took a screw driver and scraped it did it scratch. That was good enough for me so i taped of all of my windows and my floor and took of my center console, seats, pillars,vents, etc. Heated up my garage and began to spray a lite( very lite) coat of paint. It took me 2-3 coats before i couldnt see anymore brown dash. Then i just litely added some more coats and after a night of letting it cure. A new dash. Then i painted all my pillars and dome light, map light, steering wheel column, etc. Then added one more final coat to the dash and let it all dry. Then i started putting everything back together. Only advice i have is take your time, enjoy, and take some pics. I wish i would have taken mor pics. As for time i would spray a lite coat and hold a heater in my hand that was aimed at the dash ( from a distance of a couple feet) and would wait 15- 20 minutes. Then i would mist another coat on and grab the heater again and so on. Sorry if this is confusing if you have any ??? let me know and i will try to clear it up. Good Luck
OMFG I LOVE this thread ! ! ! I always wanted to do a interior swap, it was only a dream for me. after reading this it can now be a reality.

I can relate w/ the Duplicolor Vinyl Dash Paint IT SUCKS ! I was going for the 2 tone color look in my beige interior w/ black accents. painted black..
1.door handle frame thingy 2. door handle to close door (paint chips easily) 3.winow switch frame thingy 4. painted the brown color a/c vents 5. winshield defroster vent also the rear and 6. the door inserts on the lower part of the panels

Im shooting for the 2 tone beige/black look like the other guy mentioned above. (we must have the same taste)
I have a few questions....
1. how do you paint the leather seats?
2. how much is it for the seats, black carpeting new and old?
3. does the dealer sell the carpet?
4. conz does the spray painted dash feel just like the original? and did people think you just swaped a black color one in? and isn't it a good idea to put on a few layers of clear coat on all painted surfaces?

i plan to do this however long it takes depending on my financial situation (still a student, but getting into a great career soon) so if i have money to blow i might take my car down to 310 motors or the west coast people you see in MTV for the custom job

Please post pics/links i would love to see the swap and/or custom interiors
Old 05-28-2004, 07:01 AM

i still need help with the wiring for the passenger seat!!!!!!

so far here is my total cost
4 door pannels-140
leather seats-160
paint and prep materials-28
brand new replacement black carpet-129

so far i think the whole thing should be under 600
it may be a lil more for me since im getting a custom carbon fiber hoodliner.

everything on a scale of 1 to 10 difficulty i give it a 4, only because it can get a lil frustrating when you have to bend your body inside the cabin in order to pull things out. i dont want to speak to soon cause i still havent painted the dash, prepping that is a bish since there is so much stuff to tape off.

P.S it is hot as a bish out here in the sunshine state im out there workin with no shirt and im a fat bastard lol. cops had to come and tell me to cover it up. lol j/k but it is very hot!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Magikone69
i still need help with the wiring for the passenger seat!!!!!!

so far here is my total cost
4 door pannels-140
leather seats-160
paint and prep materials-28
brand new replacement black carpet-129

so far i think the whole thing should be under 600
it may be a lil more for me since im getting a custom carbon fiber hoodliner.

everything on a scale of 1 to 10 difficulty i give it a 4, only because it can get a lil frustrating when you have to bend your body inside the cabin in order to pull things out. i dont want to speak to soon cause i still havent painted the dash, prepping that is a bish since there is so much stuff to tape off.

P.S it is hot as a bish out here in the sunshine state im out there workin with no shirt and im a fat bastard lol. cops had to come and tell me to cover it up. lol j/k but it is very hot!!!

Where did you get the door panels, leather seats and black carpet from?
Old 05-28-2004, 02:01 PM

pannels from a fellow orger, seats from ebay(local PU) and im still looking for carpet, i found a price at 129 but my friend said his upholstery shop can get it cheaper but he likes to B.S alot.