4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Puddles in spare tire well

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:04 AM

Puddles in spare tire well

After a lengthy rain I get a puddle in my spare tire well. I dry it up and it comes back after it rains again. I check my weather stripping in the trunk and it is fine. I thought the Altezzas I had were the problem I took those off ( by the way Altezzas look like crap now.) and still it happens. I heard of the sunroof drain in the back or something like that how can I check that or does anyone else have an idea of what is causing this.

Thanks Eddie
Old 05-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Do I get a tax break?

The sunroof drain hose terminates near the antenna assembly in the rear fender wall.. take out the jack and shine a light below the antenna assembly - you will see a hose from the bottom of the antenna assembly and a hose that should come from the sunroof drains meet at a T and exit thru the bottom of the car... maybe one of these hoses has disconnected...
Old 05-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Blown

I am just jumping on the thread because I have the same problem except I dont have a sunroof and my weather stripping looks good, but I do have gen 2 altezzas.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
The sunroof drain hose terminates near the antenna assembly in the rear fender wall.. take out the jack and shine a light below the antenna assembly - you will see a hose from the bottom of the antenna assembly and a hose that should come from the sunroof drains meet at a T and exit thru the bottom of the car... maybe one of these hoses has disconnected...

Thanks for that info I will check and get back with the info.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:48 AM

I went out to check the drainage pipes at the trunk and if you look at my home page ( I can't figure out how to do a sig.) I put a pic. of what the T fitting now looks like after almost 8 years in Mass. I was wondering though if the drain doesn't make it out side can it really flood the trunk because it looks like it would just flood the rear quater panel.

I figured out the sig.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Do I get a tax break?

nice picture... I had the same thought (about water possibly getting into the quarter panel but not the tire well) when I originally wrote up the note on the sunroof/antenna housing drain...

I had another idea afterwards - even though you have checked the trunk lining and lights, you may want to sprinkle some baby powder or anything that can "run" but be cleaned off easily along the entire inside trunk edge (back, sides and lower lip - on the inside of the seal) and get your hose and simulate "rain" - and then see if you can tell where water got in from - sorta like using the black-light/ink test with AC systems and engine leaks...

Is any of the side covering/carpet wet?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:05 PM

nice picture... I had the same thought (about water possibly getting into the quarter panel but not the tire well) when I originally wrote up the note on the sunroof/antenna housing drain...

I had another idea afterwards - even though you have checked the trunk lining and lights, you may want to sprinkle some baby powder or anything that can "run" but be cleaned off easily along the entire inside trunk edge (back, sides and lower lip - on the inside of the seal) and get your hose and simulate "rain" - and then see if you can tell where water got in from - sorta like using the black-light/ink test with AC systems and engine leaks...

Is any of the side covering/carpet wet?

The carpet is only wet at the opening of the trunk.

Is it possible to have a leak from the spoiler.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Yes - thats probably it - since you say the carpet is wet at the opening of the trunk - when the trunk is closed, that is exactly what the spoiler is vertically above... I think you have found the culprit.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:22 PM

Yes - thats probably it - since you say the carpet is wet at the opening of the trunk - when the trunk is closed, that is exactly what the spoiler is vertically above... I think you have found the culprit.

I will caulk it up and see if it takes care of it do you or anybody recommend any caulk that can come off if I need to change the spoiler.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I don't have a spoiler on mine - but I would imagine there would be some sort of rubber washer (that might be worn on your car) that seals the bolt holes when the spoiler is tightened down - I am sure many others have had a leak from their spoiler... there are probably other threads specifically about that...
Old 05-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine was full of water (as well as both fender wells) because of clogged up drainage. I unclogged it and its been fine ever since. Also if you haven't figured it out yet, there are plastic drain plugs all around back there to help drain it out.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:16 PM

you probably have a bad trunk seal, check if it is ripped. Or you might have a bad seal around your rear windshield. this used to happen in my 3rd gen.