4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP !.. Engine power surges, stalls when at low RPM's, not constant but annoying

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 05:01 AM

HELP !.. Engine power surges, stalls when at low RPM's, not constant but annoying

OK, This is driving me nutts...

it started about 2 -3 weeks ago, the engine would stall at low RPM's, this happened for about a week and a half but it was not constant it was occasional. The Cel finally came on and it was 0303 Front Left Heated O2 sensor. I had Pep boys change it and it seemd ok for a day, but like I said it wasn't constant. Then it started doing it again the next day. It's more like after the car warms up.
It will happen on the highway, really bad surging, then when I get off the highway it really wants to just stall out, so I have to put it in neutral and keep pumping the gas, it feels like its running on about half the cylinders, and it smells really bad. It also happens just driving down the road I can feel the surging then when the RPM's drop it wants to stall.
When it does stall I turn the key and it will start right back up , but if it is in this mode where it wants to stall, after I start it up it will stall out after I start it. So I have to keep pumping the gas till I throw it in Drive and can hit the gas to keep it going.
It hasn't thrown another code yet, its been about another week and a half, but I can't deal with this anymore as it is happening more, I'm about to take it to a shop but I am wondering if anyone has some similar experience.
Its not the octane of the gas and I have within the last three months changed the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, plugs are about 6 months old, new knock sensor, and the new O2 sensor last week, removed the old air box and put on a K&N air filter. Its a 96 I30 with about 122,000 miles....... I've had it since it had about 46k miles and never had a problem until now HELP !!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:42 AM

bump....!!
Old 06-10-2004, 11:49 AM

im really glad you asked this i was about to make the same exact thread.. man i got the same exact problem..
i had the check engine light on and it was turning off when i'd go to stop, then after a while it was only doing it when the temperature was at the middle..
then a mechanic i took it too changed the idle control and put new spark plugs.
it does it less frequently, and the check engine doesn't light up anymore, but it still does it and now the temperature isnt a factor.
i've noticed that it does it even less when my tank is halfway full or higher, also i added fuel injection cleaner and it does it a little less too.. but it is really annoying.
a mechanic i know said that i could take the spark plugs out and check each individual coil, because he's 90% sure that this is the problem..
one or two coils aren't working right and its causing my engine to run only on 5 or 4 cylinders..
if anyone knows what the problem is and is sure of it can they please post it.. the coils are like 170 bucks each
Old 06-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Maxima Owner

check all ur coils
Old 06-17-2004, 06:34 AM

well, the shop has had my car for 3 days now and he has a guess that it is the MAF, but its hard to test he says because it doesn't happen all the time, so I have to sit back and wait....
Old 06-22-2004, 11:18 AM

ok the shop has had my car fora week now , they missed a day cuz they were short a mechanic but still no word, ....
Old 06-22-2004, 11:34 AM

Coolant engine temperture sensor???
Old 06-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Change the other front O2 sensor if you haven't already. Should change them both together.

When/how does the engine surge? Just changed my front O2 sensors last night and what a difference. It had been throwing a 0702 code for the rear bank sensor. I would mainly notice the surge in RPMs between 3-4k, forget about going WOT from a nice roll, the power just wasn't there. It started out being once & a while, kept reseting the ECU and month or so later it would CEL again. Performance had really gotten bad right before I changed them. Never did stall though.

Good luck to you
Old 06-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Have the mechanics even bothered checking engine vacuum at idle with a warm motor? It should be a steady 16-20 hg and when you slowly open the throttle the vacuum should slowly rise and when you crack open the throttle the vacuum shoudl drop like an anvil.

Vacuum leaks can cause stumbling, stalling, hestiating, major lack of power, idle surging, and stalling at low rpms. I've witnessed it first hand with my Maxima. One little loose vacuum line was the culprit.

A bad O2 sensor won't cause any of the problems you're describing and often the ECU throws O2 sensor codes inadvertently when the motor is running poorly.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:01 AM

Well,.. after being in suspense for sooo long, Finally the Infiniti dealer told me that it was my Air flow meter and engine temperature sensor,.. which are both connected to each other,.... a $100 diagnostic and $600 in parts, came to roughly $750,... for an extra $150 they would have put it on,.. no thank you,.. I did it my self,.... I told him to go ahead and order it, but I tried to call back and tell him to cancel it so I could find it cheaper somewhere, but it was too late. The Local shop was wrong when they told me it was not my mass air flow sensor, .. and pep boys are idiots when it comes to diagnosing problems as well. I have also put the stock air intake back on.
My ride to work today was once again a smooth one, with no stalling. Thank god I only have 6 more payments on my car.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine cooolant sensor.!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 03:03 PM

i took my car to nissan dealer, it had the exact same problem remember?
well mine was the air flow meter too man..
it was $86 for the diagnostic at nissan, and they would charge $480 for the part and $200 to put it in.
well the diagnostic is discounted if you let them fix it, so i got the air flow meter used for 95 bucks and let them install it, $300 total, you paid $700.
hope everything works out for you and me too.
my tachometer is going crazy right now though, the car runs PERFECT but the tachometer isn't working all that well so i don't know whats up.