4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clutch issue....can feel engine in clutch pedal!!!...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

clutch issue....can feel engine in clutch pedal!!!...

what could this problem be....my last clutch did not do this at all, now, when I got this last clutch installed, as soon as a I drove it off the lot of the mechanic, I felt the engine through the clutch pedal....this is the nissan oem clutch, NOT the key value! I bought the parts and gave it to my mechanic so I know, in either case, the flywheel was also machined....

if I put the clutch pedal all the way in (ie. to the floor)....i can rev the engine and feel it through my clutch pedal...never the way it used to be...i thought maybe it would go away after breaking it in...but no dice

i know this isn't normal cause my last clutch didn't do this and my buddy's max doesn't do this either....any idea of what could be the problem??? i only have about 2000 miles on this clutch....
Old 06-11-2004, 12:38 PM

Mine does this as well...1500 miles on the clutch and its still there

-matt
Old 06-11-2004, 02:19 PM

i know fer sher this is not supposed to happen cause I remember my last clutch....nissan oem parts are almost never defective and if everything was replaced...ie. friction disc, pressure plate, and throughout bearing...I can only think the only thing there that has not been replaced is the flywheel...so I am wondering if it is the flywheel?

anyone know what this problem could be or sounds like?

anyone else have this problem....this makes my clutch feel really old and crappy, plus it doesn't grip nearly as well....when I shift at redline, it doesn't snap down to the rpm in the next gear (ie. hard shift from 1-2 at redline, instead of immediately and violently kicking down to 4K rpm, it kinda immediately goes down to 4.5K then sloshes a little lower to 4K rpm..like it's in no hurry to get into next gear like it used to)..matty...have you tried doing a hard core shift from 1-2 and 2-3 at redline? is it crisp and clean into the next gear for you?
Old 06-11-2004, 03:03 PM

No not at all..I have Exedy, Fidanza Flywheel, New Master Cylinder, and Slave Cylinder

A weird feeling I am getting is when I bring my car out to redline or anywhere past 4K RPMS, and I push down on the clutch, I feel the vibration from the engine the entire time down on the pedal ?? Is that the same thing your describing ?>

-matt
Old 06-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by matty
A weird feeling I am getting is when I bring my car out to redline or anywhere past 4K RPMS, and I push down on the clutch, I feel the vibration from the engine the entire time down on the pedal ??
That's pretty normal. I get that with my max (both when it was new and even now) and with my 04 WRX. Not huge but I can definitely feel the high rpm vibration through the pedal.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:03 PM

but when you are briging the clutch pedal out (towards the driver), you can feel the engine it feels like....
Old 06-11-2004, 04:03 PM

could this be a pilot bushing issue, or a flywheel issue?
Old 06-11-2004, 04:04 PM

or maybe a throughout fork issue?
Old 06-11-2004, 04:09 PM

well it can't be normal cause my last clutch didn't do this...the pedal was isolated from the engine rpm...
Old 06-12-2004, 12:52 AM

bump bump bump bump
Old 06-12-2004, 06:55 AM

Settle down dude. I have the same problem, and I have the original clutch. Mines been doing it since I bought the car two years ago.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:46 AM
Sports Button FTW

before my tranny went, i could feel a lot of vibration on the clutch pedal. Not when sitting still though, when rolling if i put it in gear and fut is down on clutch pedal i feel vibration while putting it in gear.....might be something different though but who knows.....
Old 06-12-2004, 09:07 AM

well....this brand new nissan clutch is slipping when I shift at redline so this does concern me especially if it's a flywheel issue like most mechanics are saying...
Old 06-12-2004, 10:37 AM

what is an iron lung?
Old 06-12-2004, 10:56 AM
brotherhood of tq

the iron lung is the mevi on his car... but my car had the same vibration thing but then my tranny broke also so im not sure if those have anything in common with each other.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:35 PM

I have a brand new setup and Im getting that...

2001 tranny
Exedy clutch
Fidanza Flywheel

-matt
Old 06-12-2004, 06:35 PM

I have a brand new setup and Im getting that...

2001 tranny
Exedy clutch
Fidanza Flywheel

-matt
Old 06-12-2004, 07:13 PM

what does it feel like when the clutch slips at redline?
________
AVANDIA CLASS ACTION

Last edited by Maximeltman; 08-31-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:09 AM

well it doesn't feel like a typical slip...it's a little different....i have felt clutch slip on many cars including my own in the past with my old clutch...and it's hard to describe...it's kinda like when I shift hard at redline....it doesn't sharply or violently go into next gear like it should on a stick shift...it just takes it's own time to get into the next gear...it's not terrible...but it is definitely noticeable to any stick shift driver that goes for a ride in my car! all of these symptoms happened the second I got this clutch installed....as soon as I drove off the mechanics lot....thought it would go away after break in period, but it still exists...and feels like my clutch engages really late...and does engage very solid or it's not that grippy like my last new clutch...
Old 06-13-2004, 12:14 AM

could it be throughout fork or pilot bushing? I only say that cause that is all the probables left considering people are experiencing this with there new clutches, flywheels, and tranny's all installed at the same time...so it sounds like something that is not included in the flywheel area or clutch or even inside the tranny...in most clutch jobs and clutch kits, a pilot bushing is often overlooked and a throughout fork is almost never looked at when a clutch job is done....a nissan master tech mentioned this could be a warped flywheel (but people with brand new ones are seeing this same problem) or the pilot bushing or maybe even the throughout fork according to him....
Old 06-13-2004, 01:23 AM

did they bleed the hydraulic lines? maybe the pedal/master cyl isnt adjusted right and cause the pressure plate to slightly clamp down against the clutch disc causing you to feel the friction?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:31 AM

good thought...will there be bubbles in my clutch cylinder if there is air in the lines? kinda like the brake air line test? in either case, I should try bleeding them and adjusting the cylinder...
Old 06-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I get some vibration thru my clutch pedal, especially when pushing the clutch. I'm still on the OEM clutch, 7 years, 108K miles. My car has done this every since installing the y-pipe. I fixed most of the problem by connecting the front y-pipe downpipe to the OEM y-pipe mounting location under the engine block. The problem is aftermarket y-pipes are light, aren't as beefy as the OEM y-pipe, and most aftermarket y-pipes don't use the under block mounting point. Without securing the pipe, the Y-pipe moves and has mild vibrations that can felt thru the pedals under certain load conditions.

Dave