4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Race Story (vs. SRT-4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:07 PM
TurboMax67

Race Story (vs. SRT-4)

I know people dont care about race storys, but I enjoy sharing when I get owned. I know this guy in town who recently bought an SRT-4. Ive seen him around town, and when we see each other weve always kinda got on it, but never more then a few seconds. Well tonight when it happend, I pulled him over and we went to race.

I initially thought that I would hang with him, I mean I went into the race knowing that he would win, but I wanted to see how I faired. Well, Ive never been so humiliated in my life. This guy cant even drive a stick that good, but when he went to second gear, it ate the pavement like nothing ive ever seen. In the end, I started to gain back on him, but was already 7-8 lengths in front of me. I know for a fact his car is bone stock, and I checked mods~ it only has 215 hp, but like 270ft-lbs of torque, and I realize the weight difference but damn..

Sorry again, no real point to this thread, Im just ****ed I lost so bad...

Old 06-19-2004, 09:15 PM

IBL
Old 06-19-2004, 09:38 PM

Does your name hold truth...

Your username says "turbo" in it, I was just wondering if you were actually turboed or if it was just something you decided to put in your username. If you are, I would think you should have easily taken him. Hmmmm.....
Old 06-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SRT4's will run with and can beat a 350Z in a straight line, let alone an n/a Maxima. They are high 13/low 14 second cars stock with decent drivers. And dont let the HP ratings fool you, it has been said that the car dynos more WHP than the Mfr. Crank Horsepower.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:45 PM
TurboMax67

Originally Posted by maxima_se007
Your username says "turbo" in it, I was just wondering if you were actually turboed or if it was just something you decided to put in your username. If you are, I would think you should have easily taken him. Hmmmm.....

No, my max is normal aspirated. The only mods I have are catback system, CAI, and lightweight rims~ Im also an auto Hoping to buy a stick soon

Old 06-19-2004, 09:52 PM

I flew by an SRT-4 when i was racing a eclipse one time. (which i beat) Then i started to slow down then saw him coming up on my tail fast so i floored it and he passed me and kept going so i had to give up.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:14 PM

SRT-4's are very underestimated, but theyre fast as hell, especially for what they cost!
Old 06-19-2004, 10:50 PM

I killed an SRT-4 from a 50mph roll to 120mph across the I-90 Floating Bridge here in Seattle.

But I was pretty shocked on how he kept up better than a G35c I had raced did.

We were dead even from 50-70, then the SC spun up and I walked him, shifted, and walked him some more.....

I got about 4 car lengths on him....If I wasn't boosted, he would have killed me easily.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:24 AM

on the bright side I dusted a saturn today by the time I hit 50 mph i was already 2 car lenghts ahead of him

*sigh* waste of gas on my part
Old 06-20-2004, 05:43 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

all the srt4 has to do is just turn up the boost, and spank you
Old 06-20-2004, 05:45 AM

You'll have to excuse me, but what is an SRT-4? And Ian, the driver must have been scratching his head figuring out what hit him? Would he have been able to tell your car is boosted? Does it look like a sleeper?
Old 06-20-2004, 06:14 AM

its a dodge neon
its dodge's second fastest car they produce, 1st fastest would be the srt-10 in the viper
Old 06-20-2004, 07:02 AM
be the change u want2C

Dude those cars are supposed to compete with WRX's stock, Not sti's since when do they run high 13 bone stock, Wisky they are high to mid 14 cars,
Old 06-20-2004, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Dude those cars are supposed to compete with WRX's stock, Not sti's since when do they run high 13 bone stock, Wisky they are high to mid 14 cars,

They do run high 13's with a good driver. To help the traction the 03 SRTs come standard with a Quaife diff. Yes thats stock tranny with a Quiafe. Talk about a good deal. They are very fast. I ran one last night. He beat me, I lost traction. Ran two more times, I eased into it and we were even until the MEVI opened, I pulled on him. We got on the freeway and it was over. He could not keep up. These little Civic/RSX killas dyno 239HP 269lbs of torque. I seen them dyno that with my own eyes. I went to one of their dyno meets. I like those guys pretty down to earth people.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:26 AM

srt-4's are definitly in the higher bang for you buck catagory. i mean for the price, those things stock are really quick. but there is just something about it being a neon, and i could never buy one.
jay25- yea ive met a couple of those guys, used to work with one too, but i think he was an acception, he was one goofy a$$ ****.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JAY25
They do run high 13's with a good driver. To help the traction the 03 SRTs come standard with a Quaife diff. Yes thats stock tranny with a Quiafe. Talk about a good deal. They are very fast. I ran one last night. He beat me, I lost traction. Ran two more times, I eased into it and we were even until the MEVI opened, I pulled on him. We got on the freeway and it was over. He could not keep up. These little Civic/RSX killas dyno 239HP 269lbs of torque. I seen them dyno that with my own eyes. I went to one of their dyno meets. I like those guys pretty down to earth people.

IIRC I think the 04 comes with the LSD and also has bigger injectors and maybe a couple other things to give it a slight power boost over the 03. Was the SRT-4 modded at all. Another thing it seems these cars need a 1K miles or so before they reach full potential. Don't be suprised if you keep up with or beat one and then you get owned by one with the same mods. LOL at Civic/RSX killas, try EVO/STi killas. I would probably never own one, but I'm glad it's around hopefully Nissan will pul it's head outta it's azz and produce an entry level boosted car with some *****.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:51 AM
TurboMax67

Originally Posted by Midknight MAXX
IIRC I think the 04 comes with the LSD and also has bigger injectors and maybe a couple other things to give it a slight power boost over the 03. Was the SRT-4 modded at all. Another thing it seems these cars need a 1K miles or so before they reach full potential. Don't be suprised if you keep up with or beat one and then you get owned by one with the same mods. LOL at Civic/RSX killas, try EVO/STi killas. I would probably never own one, but I'm glad it's around hopefully Nissan will pul it's head outta it's azz and produce an entry level boosted car with some *****.

It's got 1400 miles on it, but its been reemed from the start. This guy learned a stick on it. We were doing burnouts in a parkinglot last week, and when I pulled in he was doing one in first gear for over 30 seconds~ everyone was yelling "SHIFT DUMBASS!!"

Old 06-20-2004, 07:52 AM

Dear Nissan,
sr20detttt please. Thank You
Old 06-20-2004, 08:05 AM

I have got a story of a race with one of these cars 96 sleeper(MEVI jwt ecu, udp, y, b pipe, 70mmthrotle body) vs. srt-4 with upgraded bov from 70 to about 120 96sleeper pulled em by about 1 bumber close race but he is N/A racing F/I so.....supercharge that and see what happens.....
Old 06-20-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 95stillenmax
I have got a story of a race with one of these cars 96 sleeper(MEVI jwt ecu, udp, y, b pipe, 70mmthrotle body) vs. srt-4 with upgraded bov from 70 to about 120 96sleeper pulled em by about 1 bumber close race but he is N/A racing F/I so.....supercharge that and see what happens.....
Throw the same amount of money at the SRT-4 and you'll need the super charger to read the license plate.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:03 AM

Throw the same amount of money at the SRT-4 and you'll need the super charger to read the license plate.
Let's think now...

Stock 4th gen = ~$6500

Stock SRT-4 = ~$18K

4th gen with 10K of performance mods vs. Stock SRT-4 that would still cost $1500 more...

Old 06-20-2004, 09:09 AM

Cool story dont know if anyone wants to see a
video

Vortech SCed Cobra Vs a turbo maxima that would be me

clik below

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=319466
Old 06-20-2004, 09:51 AM
brotherhood of tq

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's think now...

Stock 4th gen = ~$6500

Stock SRT-4 = ~$18K

4th gen with 10K of performance mods vs. Stock SRT-4 that would still cost $1500 more...
i have drivenof these things and they are some crazy quick cars. and if u put 10g's in to your max thenu better find a way to keep the tranny from giving up on you. for a tenth of the money that u could put into your max a srt-4 owner could get a mopar stage 1 or 2 kit and have more then 300-350 whp depending on which kit u get. i love my max but the srt-4 seems to be a great bargin.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

1. Stock SRT-4s are underrated at 215HP. I've seen dyno numbers higher.

2. They have the full support of Mopar. Try finding a nismo product for the maxima that isn't a radiator cap.

3. The only time i've ever had any problems with one on the highway is before i got the y-pipe. Unless they were going easy on me.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:00 AM

The guy had exhaust and suspension - maybe he had the boost turned up also. By other reports here I should have killed a bone stock SRT even more.

I didn't stick around to ask.

IanS
Old 06-20-2004, 11:59 AM

SRTs might be fast, but imo, neon is still a crapcar...its a racer wannalookalike
Old 06-20-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by killcrap
its a dodge neon
its dodge's second fastest car they produce, 1st fastest would be the srt-10 in the viper
Car yes, vehicle no.. Both SRT-10s claim the top two spots. SRT-10 Viper, and SRT-10 Ram....

And the third fastest dodge spot that the SRT-4 claims may be challenged by the Magnum/300C/soon to be released Charger. They run VERY VERY low 14s and with more suitable tires, high 13s can be seen...

Ive run a modded SRT-4 before. She had a stage 1 upgrade, intake and running 18psi. She pulled me from 40-110 by only a half car. If we re-did that race as of today, i would walk her.

-eric
Old 06-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

There are four 2004 SRT-4s that regularly run at my track. Three are bascially stock and the other has a turboback exhaust and CAI. The stock SRT-4s typically get 14.4-14.6@96-98mph while the more modded one does 14.0-14.2@100mph. As far as I know, all the 2004s basically come with the Stage I upgrade and the LSD. For me, they're a good race. I've run the modded SRT-4 a few times and I usually get him off the line, but by the 1/8th he closes and slowly starts to walk me by a car or two. From what the SRT-4 owners have told me, the car is pretty hard to launch hard because it will either bog or go into severe spin. They're 60 foots are typically higher 2.2s to mid 2.3s.

What I find amazing is that those SRT-4s are putting down significantly more power than me (230-250whp) yet they're not much quicker. Ya got to love the linear and long powerband of the VQ with the MEVI/JWT ECU. I seen a few videos of Ceasar laying waste to SRT-4s too. They're not the unbeatable machines most people make them out to be assuming you've got the right NA mods.

The SRT-4 is impressive for it's new car price, but I wouldn't be caught dead driving one. Never. A Neon is a Neon.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
i have drivenof these things and they are some crazy quick cars. and if u put 10g's in to your max thenu better find a way to keep the tranny from giving up on you. for a tenth of the money that u could put into your max a srt-4 owner could get a mopar stage 1 or 2 kit and have more then 300-350 whp depending on which kit u get. i love my max but the srt-4 seems to be a great bargin.
You're not understanding my logic at all. Sure you can make an SRT-4 for faster for the money but guess what, you have to buy the car first.

You can buy a $2k package for the SRT-4 that adds 150WHP blah blah blah. But a used one would cost around $18k. It ends up costing over $20k when you could start with a $6500 4th gen, mod the **** out of it and still have money left over. (I'm just using the Maxima as an example, there are many others.) Not much of a bargain to me. Unless of course you HAVE to have a new car. Then again, buying a new car makes no sense anyway. That 1st year of depreciation will murder you.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:32 PM

IMO the new neons look pretty good compared to other cars in its class. the srt looks very nice and sporty and with that power it is a great car to have fun in. the trend is started and im supprised nissan isnt the trend setter. take a look at all the compacts today which are coming with boost and full manufacturer support.

1 dodge srt-4/mopar
2 chevy cobalt ss (the one with turbo)
3 mazdaspeed protege/mazda speed (although it may be discontinued now)
4 Scion tc/TRD
5 Subaru WRX
6 Saturn ION Redline
7 ROUSHE Focus ???(heard this from a friend/ turbo focus)
8 VW GTi 1.8t (still has some pottential)

im sure there are others...

for nissan to make any kinda noise in this sport compact scene they need to do something amazing with the next Sentra/SE-R. i think there should be two SE-R's
1st is the new SE-R vspec with upgraded hp (im hoping for 200 like the RSX type S just to shake things up/ 6 speed/ sporty design/ nice alloy wheels/improved handling/ sporty colors

2nd SE-R will def need to be boosted. im hoping for a 2.5L inline 4 with an intercooled turbo pushing at least 245 hp to the wheels to put it ahead of the rest of the FWD FI compacts./ HID lights/ 17in Volk racing wheels./ suspension provided by nismo (with sway bars and strut brace)./ NISMO Exhaust/ Heavy duty clutch. and some other unique upgrades.

lol this is my wish list and hopefully nissan can jump on the ball and put us back ahead of the rest of the cars.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:02 PM
G

i agree with IwANnAMaX96 here. id rather spend the money on a max than the dodge srt any day. i mean come on... its always going to be a dodge and nothing more - unreliable and most importantly UGLY! we had a dodge many a year ago and vowed never ever to have anything to do with that sh*t hole company ever again. nuff said.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:14 PM
be the change u want2C

I was there when they had a Track meet, Only one broke 13's and He had a lot of work done, tell me I didnt see that with my own eye buddy cause i have a million whitnesses, Most of them where strugling to even break 14's
Old 06-20-2004, 02:31 PM

My co-worker has an '04 SRT-4 that in January, bone stock ran a 13.833 @ 102.37. After he added a boost controller, bigger intercooler, stage 2 from Mopar, a 3" turbo-back, and an air/fuel controller he ran a 12.498 @ 108.85 mph. He's also upgraded his turbo seen here:
On slicks he's shooting for low 11s at around 25 psi. The car is insane and modded as well as stock ones deserve respect. More pics here: http://www.azmaximas.org/steve/view_...album02&page=1
Old 06-20-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
You're not understanding my logic at all. Sure you can make an SRT-4 for faster for the money but guess what, you have to buy the car first.

You can buy a $2k package for the SRT-4 that adds 150WHP blah blah blah. But a used one would cost around $18k. It ends up costing over $20k when you could start with a $6500 4th gen, mod the **** out of it and still have money left over. (I'm just using the Maxima as an example, there are many others.) Not much of a bargain to me. Unless of course you HAVE to have a new car. Then again, buying a new car makes no sense anyway. That 1st year of depreciation will murder you.
that's the most ****ing rediclious argument that i've ever heard, and it's been around for a long time. who gives a **** what the car costs new. my car was almost 30k brand new.

give it up. the srt is faster than our car, costs 10k less brand new, has more support all around and is much more tuner friendly. e-n-d o-f s-t-o-r-y
Old 06-20-2004, 03:58 PM

Cool story dont know if anyone wants to see a
video

Vortech SCed Cobra Vs a turbo maxima that would be me

clik below

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=319466
hey jay is the one when bags races the stang and then you race and then the 02 or 03 not sure witch gets owned

also it says invalid thred dont know why but if it is differant i would like to see it post a new link and see if you can fix it thanks Brandon
Old 06-20-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by global_threat
that's the most ****ing rediclious argument that i've ever heard, and it's been around for a long time. who gives a **** what the car costs new. my car was almost 30k brand new.

give it up. the srt is faster than our car, costs 10k less brand new, has more support all around and is much more tuner friendly. e-n-d o-f s-t-o-r-y
i agree 10x, even if you get a max and drop 10k in it, it will still be a 10 year old car (if its a 95). you cant really compare prices of old to new cars, they are in different time frames. if you want to compare time, you need to compare 03+ srt-4's to 03+ maximas. thats like saying why spend 8 grand on a 98 maxima when i can spend 3 grand on a 5.0L mustang and mod with the rest of the dough.

i give props where props is due and that srt-4 is bad ***. i personally was never a dodge fan, not even with the viper. but with the srt-10 ram, the srt-4 neon, and that dodge magnum, i think dodge may be heading into a good direction. if they can improve on their build quality and make thier interiors look a lil better they would be a decent car company. the srt 4 is a great car for the price and i cant not imagine what kind of argument someone can come up with. you get a whole lotta car for 20-22k and is ready to be turned into a street rocket.

it all comes down to preference. do you want a low price high performance sprt compact car which isnt that roomy, has a "so so" interior, has a nice aftermarket following and when designed right, can be a very beautiful car.

or do you want a four door sedan with a legendary engine, impresive performance, roomy interior, poor handling and a descent after market support.(although aftermarket is a tad bit more money$$$$)

I love my max and will keep it for a while, but if i was in need of a car and i had only 22k to budget on the srt-4 would be my top choice for a sport compact, unless nissan came out with a boosted SE-R.

p.s
that black srt posted by jay is very nice, i bet that thing hauls ***. that pic of the turbo is unbelieveable. lol

ist it true these cars can run large amounts of boost on the stock internals.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:12 PM

Video is up and running again, small 3.5MB, 2 min video

Originally Posted by 95stillenmax
hey jay is the one when bags races the stang and then you race and then the 02 or 03 not sure witch gets owned

also it says invalid thred dont know why but if it is differant i would like to see it post a new link and see if you can fix it thanks Brandon

video of a turbo max vs a SCed Cobra is right here

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=319527

enjoy
Old 06-20-2004, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
I was there when they had a Track meet, Only one broke 13's and He had a lot of work done, tell me I didnt see that with my own eye buddy cause i have a million whitnesses, Most of them where strugling to even break 14's

Dont know what to tell you but what you saw is what you saw. I know what I see.

One more thing, a SRT is just a Neon right? wrong! A SRT is a different machine. It comes built to handle some boost. It is also an underated car. With a couple of upgrades it will smoke 60% of the cars on this forum. Low compression engine and a bullet proof differential. To the Einsteins that know their Math. The car costs right around $19K. It will smoke a RSX Type S, smoke a WRX impreza and surely smoke a whole lot of these Maximas w/bolt ons. Out of the box its a great bargain.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by global_threat

All I'm saying is I'd rather buy a nice used car and mod it than buy a brand new car if i budgeted a set amount of money. I don't know about you, but money don't grow on trees around here...

P.S. I was only using the Maxima as an example. There are many other used cars I'd buy and mod before I bought an SRT-4 because there's more to a car than how fast it is.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

An SRT-4 is a Neon even though Dodge would like us to believe otherwise. You can't polish a turd and those that have driven late model Neons will know what I'm talking about. If you want to have a super fast and cheapy made FWD car, than the SRT-4 is the ticket. For those of us that demand quality, refinement, and sexy looks, we can just justify spending the extra dough for something a lot nicer and just as quick.

Quick Reply: Race Story (vs. SRT-4)