4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP cannot put my 5-speed max in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 09:34 PM

HELP cannot put my 5-speed max in reverse

Hi all, I have a problem with my reverse in my manual transmission. I recently replaced my old clutch with the Exedy clutch. I did it myself and the clutch grips great. Everything worked great until one day when i was driving home from work and went to a gas station. I needed to use my reverse and I could not. I couldnt put my car in reverse, it just wouldnt go in. After I got home, my reverse was working again. This weird thing has happened to me 3 times already and i'm getting worried. When i replaced the clutch i took out the tranny but i didnt do anything to it, I just put it back in when i was done. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem? Similar problems? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Matt
Old 06-22-2004, 09:42 PM

well im guessing u already tried this, but hit the clutch again. when i cant go into gear, i just let off the clutch and push it back in, and its fine.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:13 PM
ABK

put the car into first and then go to reverse, doesn't work? clutch out and in again and try to put it in, doesn't work? Put the car in first and move it up a tad bit or just let it roll, and then put it in reverse, doesn't work?

Either you are doing something wrong or you messed up your reverse.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by ABK
put the car into first and then go to reverse, doesn't work? clutch out and in again and try to put it in, doesn't work? Put the car in first and move it up a tad bit or just let it roll, and then put it in reverse, doesn't work?

\
i recommend the same procedure. It happens to me sometimes too. If i keep my foot on clutch too long sometimes i cant get into reverse. If all your other gears are fine and u can get in time to time, its just a stupid thing that happens time to time
Old 06-23-2004, 05:41 AM

Thanks guys for ur tips, but what ur talking about is not my problem. What you all suggested is normal procedure to do when you cant put ur car in reverse, but my problem is way bigger. I tried everything, it just wont go in, it seem like you can't even push the shifter all the way to the right. I dont know how this fixed itself the first two times, but this time it stayed. If anyone has any idea of what i'm talking about please help me out!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by ABK

+1
Everything that was said is true.
Everyone has probmems with that every once in a while, even with the stock clutch. I mean, it is just the syncros not lining up and you have to make them get there.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:34 AM

everything that was said is true, but i wouldnt be posting this if i had a problem with goin into reverse from time to time cause that is just normal and happens to everyone from time to time. My problem is directly connected to my clutch replacement because i have not had that problem before.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:14 AM

Try any and all of those things that ABK said and I think you will be okay.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:47 PM

Since you say that you feel that it is hard sometimes to get the shifter to the right side, get under the car and just make sure that nothing is obstructing the way of the shifter linkage rods.
Also, I don't see how the syncro for reverse could have been damaged from just changing the clutch. But syncros do wear out eventually, I just don't know how you didn't have the problem before the clutch replacement though. Going into reverse sometimes is a problem for me on my worn factory clutch, but I just move the stick from left to right twice and it just goes in. If nothing works, buy some syncros and get to work. Oh, try using some Mobil synthetic GL4 fluid or the Redline equivalent, see if that makes any difference. Shifting became alot easier and smoother for me with the Mobil synthetic GL4.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
Since you say that you feel that it is hard sometimes to get the shifter to the right side, get under the car and just make sure that nothing is obstructing the way of the shifter linkage rods.
Also, I don't see how the syncro for reverse could have been damaged from just changing the clutch. But syncros do wear out eventually, I just don't know how you didn't have the problem before the clutch replacement though. Going into reverse sometimes is a problem for me on my worn factory clutch, but I just move the stick from left to right twice and it just goes in. If nothing works, buy some syncros and get to work. Oh, try using some Mobil synthetic GL4 fluid or the Redline equivalent, see if that makes any difference. Shifting became alot easier and smoother for me with the Mobil synthetic GL4.

I'm running redline mt90, there are no syncros for the reverse and first gear. I opened my transmission and found the problem. The thing that stops you from goin from 5th gear straight to reverse was preventing me from goin into reverse. There was some plastic piece there that i only found pieces of all over the tranny. Also i had to replace two bearings while i was at it. One of the bearings is the differential bearing which is impossible to get because they're on backorder. I called 25 dealerships around chicago and didnt find one. Luckly some guy in Texas had one in stock. I believe that this bearing is also responsible for leaking tranny fluid by the drive axles.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
+1
Everything that was said is true.
Everyone has probmems with that every once in a while, even with the stock clutch. I mean, it is just the syncros not lining up and you have to make them get there.

Umm...there are syncros in reverse???
Old 06-28-2004, 11:15 AM

probably.
I don't know for sure, but it would make sense to me.
How else would you explain having to put the shifter into another gear and then back down into reverse and it working that time? That is just what I figured.