4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

one of the best days of my life

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 09:10 PM

one of the best days of my life

it is finally going to happen ...one of the best days of my life i am goin to buy a maxima tomarrow...my first car...and im paying for it all by myselfexcept for tax and tags....lol (gata luv golf course jobs) its a 97 se with 59,000 miles on it its a 5-spd and i dont know how to drive it yet...lol but im stil freekin out about it ... im buying it tomarrow for 8,000 very nice condition 2 my dad has a 98 maxima gle auto....and i looked up some average stock 0-60s and my car!...(it sounds so cool MY CAR...lol) is 2 seconds faster than his and i thought his was fast...i would race on the street from stop light to 65...lol im 17 wut u exspect....my goal for this car(my car) is to run low 6 sec 0-60s.....maybe 5's if possible without turboing or s/c cuz that costs 5 grand jus for the parts.... and im also looking forward to having a nice looking car...so i found a site for a skyline bofykit for 700$ and i want to get tint prob 30% and lowering springs and prob jus 17 inch rims cuz 2 big slows it down....and i dont want that weed waker sound of a muffler......so i was wondering if u guys could help me with the best mods to get and witch muffler/exsaust sounds best what kind of springs...and wut color rims would look best on a hunter green maxima i was kinda thinkin black...then my friend suggested white...i know to get the y pipe..ive herd so much about it...and ill prob also get the injyn cai so opinions,.......send all u can cuz ill b listnen
Old 06-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Read the STICKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

PRoph
Old 06-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by doolstersmaxima
it is finally going to happen ...one of the best days of my life i am goin to buy a maxima tomarrow...my first car...and im paying for it all by myselfexcept for tax and tags....lol (gata luv golf course jobs) its a 97 se with 59,000 miles on it its a 5-spd and i dont know how to drive it yet...lol but im stil freekin out about it ... im buying it tomarrow for 8,000 very nice condition 2 my dad has a 98 maxima gle auto....and i looked up some average stock 0-60s and my car!...(it sounds so cool MY CAR...lol) is 2 seconds faster than his and i thought his was fast...i would race on the street from stop light to 65...lol im 17 wut u exspect....my goal for this car(my car) is to run low 6 sec 0-60s.....maybe 5's if possible without turboing or s/c cuz that costs 5 grand jus for the parts.... and im also looking forward to having a nice looking car...so i found a site for a skyline bofykit for 700$ and i want to get tint prob 30% and lowering springs and prob jus 17 inch rims cuz 2 big slows it down....and i dont want that weed waker sound of a muffler......so i was wondering if u guys could help me with the best mods to get and witch muffler/exsaust sounds best what kind of springs...and wut color rims would look best on a hunter green maxima i was kinda thinkin black...then my friend suggested white...i know to get the y pipe..ive herd so much about it...and ill prob also get the injyn cai so opinions,.......send all u can cuz ill b listnen
Old 06-29-2004, 09:18 PM

Don't get the Skyline kit, get the Stillen kit. Read the stickies to find 90% of what you'd ever want to know.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:21 PM

nice go w/a greddy sp catback sounds nice, becareful with a bodykit for a cheap price...probably made of cheap fiberglass, which'll crack easily. good luck w/the car and as prophecy1 said u should read the stickies, really helpful.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:33 PM
VIP Maxima

if you listen to wat im about to tell you, you will be a happy man, and if u dont, ur gonna regret ALOT of things later on.

i know ur 17 and this is ur 1st car. i got my 1st car last year and i was in same situation as you. was freakin out (coudlnt even sleep at nights, woulda woke up at 2 am in morning and go for a drive). anyways here is the important thing. you should start hangin around this forum, read read read and read more and read MORE and MORE. this way you learn ALOT and make smarter decisions. i was like you too. i had 4 grand and i wanted to get buncha stuff for my max but im glad i didnt and waited. right now u say u want 17" but in a year or so you might regret that and want some 19".

for now i suggest you buy these as a start and hold on purchasing anything else for 6months or so.

Diamond cut clear corners
Clear tail lights
Y pipe
FSTB
RSB
true CAI
STS

hold off on skyline kit, rims and stuff like that. once you hang around .org and see all the different combos for mods, ull make SMARTER and more EDUCATED decisions !!!

btw nice find and enjoy ur maxima. welcome to tha .org

Old 06-29-2004, 09:36 PM

y the stylin kit.....how much is it anyways...?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:38 PM

fstb ...rsb....sts....ture cai...? y not injyn?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:41 PM

ture a brand?...lol...i dont know and wuts those other things....hp gains?...cost?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Hooooooonda.....

2 seconds faster? In WHAT? The car can already run low/mid 6s stock.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:43 PM

y the stylin kit.....how much is it anyways...?
because IMO the STILLEN kit is the best looking kit out there. $800
Old 06-29-2004, 09:45 PM

after i buy this car ima have jack sh*t in money....and i make about 800-1000 a moonth....so post costs aswell...if u can and instal costs jus incase my uncle cant install it
Old 06-29-2004, 09:48 PM

my dads auto runs it in 8.9 aand the max manuel runs it in 6.9.....and the stillen back looks gay.....my opinion same with the side skirts...front lip looks good tho hate the back....
Old 06-29-2004, 09:49 PM

Autos are 1/2 to 1 second slower than the manuals. 2 seconds?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:50 PM

saw it on a site?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:50 PM

Auto maximas run upper 7s stock and manuals are upper 6s till 60mph.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:52 PM

it had all the models and wut they ran.....the 2000's the 2004's....the 95's the manuels vs. the autos 2...i forgot the name of it
Old 06-29-2004, 09:53 PM

2 seconds? what???? 8.9 seconds? What??
Old 06-29-2004, 09:53 PM

my dads was deff more than 7...i tymed it....his 98 when i floored it...squelled tiers for about 1 sec...and it hit 60 at or around 8.5
Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 PM

he had the gle auto
Old 06-29-2004, 09:55 PM

Dont worry about the 0 to 60 times, worry about the 1/4 mile times. As everyone suggested, you should read. Check the other sections of this forum and you will see the numbers.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:55 PM

and i had one low 8 sec run...but thats with a stop watch...lol prob wrong
Old 06-29-2004, 09:57 PM

i dont need the quarter mile
all i want is the 0-60s...i never track race
i jus wana pull up to a light and beat them at a race to 70...75....80...in that area.....
Old 06-29-2004, 09:58 PM

that site is wrong... Maximized Jiggs is right!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:58 PM

Stop watch? That's way off. I used to do it that way back when I was like 15. That's about the least accurate way to measure 0-60.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:55 PM
brotherhood of tq

hey guy listen to me...buy wat ever parts for your car that you want. people on here enjoy force feeding the same stillen kit down every ones throats. its your money buy wat u want and be happy wit it even if other people dont like it. also be prepared to have your tranny go out on you someday(just dont let it freak you out when it does).
Old 06-30-2004, 02:58 AM
It's chrome alright...

FSTB off ebay (no-name, ~$20), used injen (won't do anything for times, I just like how it sounds, ~$100), clears off ebay (~$35 both front and back), lights for the clears (local hobby shop, ~$30).

Or, forget the car and put it all toward a Sylvan writing program (http://www.educate.com/programs.cfm), priceless
Old 06-30-2004, 04:03 AM
Hooooooonda.....

If it's 8.5 seconds tell your dad that someone might have put a 4 cylinder in his maxima. I hit 6.9 with my auto and stock they are under 7.5. 5spds are 6.6 and under stock.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:31 AM
Blu
the tits

my dads was deff more than 7...i tymed it....his 98 when i floored it...squelled tiers for about 1 sec...and it hit 60 at or around 8.5
what the he11 are you saying?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:12 AM

ok for one. Don't listen to people on this org with regard to STYLING. Use your own head and get what YOU want and don't care what others say. IT"S YOUR MONEY, your dream. Don't fit the Maxima.org mold unless YOU want to.

Second. Read all you can about mechanical stuff and performance upgrades in the FAQ and stickies. These are MUCH more useful than the crap people have been saying on here the last year or too (for the most part). Look for posts by moderators, or people that have been on the org for years or have heavily modified maxes. These are the people that have the most experience and knowledge. you'll figure out who is a reliable source.

Third. Be creative. It's easy to make a max look like 90% of the maxes on the org. It's much harder to do something new.

Be careful. This place is addictive. Limit your time here or you will do nothing else and put ALL your money into your car...BAD IDEA.

Here is my advice for performance to start.
Y-pipe
FSTB

Get these and you'll notice a big difference in acceleration and handling for relatively cheap. (180+ 60)

If you want cheaper, look at the classifieds or ebay. Never get brand new mods like FSTB's lol. They don't break so why pay full price? Obviously if you want to make your car into a show car or want engine/suspension/lighting mods, it is a different story.

Oh yeah, my last rule of thumb. Don't buy more than one mod at a time. Try one, see if you like it, enjoy it, get bored wit it, THEN get your next mod. You will notice that some mods won't do anything good for your car, even though people here say they will. This will help you budget your money and prevent mod craziness.

lastly, your dads auto will beat you in your manual for sometime because it takes a good manual driver to beat the ease of the automatic. Once you get better and learn your car, it will be a different story. Practice, practice, practice! And have patience!

Hope that helps. I've learned from my own mistakes...
Old 06-30-2004, 06:14 AM

Please get some english skills before you type, I have a headache trying to read your jibberish.....
Old 06-30-2004, 06:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

READ THE STICKES FAQ'S SHOPTALK AND READING MATERIAL on this site becuase your already making yourslef look like a NOOb, READ READ READ Save yourself the trouble, and our bandwidth.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:34 AM

Your grammar makes baby Jesus cry.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:48 AM

#1: read read read read read all the red tagged posts at the top of each forum, this is were most of the information regarding performance can be found. For example: STICKY: Maxima FAQ (1 2 3)

#2 I know what you are going through cuz i was once a newbie here with the same kind of car that you have but with more mileage. If i were you go for the cheap cosmetic mods first to make your car look different from so maximas on the road. Ex.: diamond cut clears can be found of ebay for cheap, makeyour own red/clears. Shiit like that.

#3 When you have enough money go for the bigger power gains: y-pipe (can be found all over in the for sale forum), ecu upgrade and mevi. But that's actually alittle too much information for you now.

#4 refer to #1
Old 06-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Read everything, there is a great deal of info in the stickys. If you want to do something then do it. As for the 1 mod rule... it think its a good idea. I got crazy with the mods and managed to fill my closet without having the time to install anything. Again this will help you budget yourself a little. Enjoy your max and take peoples advise when it comes to the more complicated things.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:02 AM
VIP Maxima

man this truely shows how much i miss talking to 17 year olds about cars and races. ALWAYS funny stories. 0-60, i timed my dads car. i want this skyline kit cuz it gives the max that bad *** ricer look that civics have. a buncha useless h0les on the front bumper of my max. makes it look like a bad *** 2 door FnF car.

Maxima is a sports sedan, it should be done clean with style. its not POS civic or eclipse. you dont need big wings and uselss crazy looking bodykits.

btw street racing is and if u want to beat people from 0-60 then what the heck you doing in a maxima? go buy a suv loaded with torque and that $hit will easily put 2 cars on anything in its path from a stop.

0-60 races are ....
1/4 is the only thing that matters

my favorite race of all time is the 0-10 mph !

i always brake torque my auto and smoke lambos from 0-10, yay ! my max is FAST as HELL !

btw stop talking to ur ricer high school friends about cars. talk to people with more experience. those that dont get a civic, cut off the stock muffler, take off the hubcaps and put a pair of hyper white lights and hit the streets thinkin they are HARD !!!

and for ur infromation, it doesnt matter what ur dad runs, ur dad could be using 89 octane, with low low pressure bald tires. bad KS, bad O2, old fuel filter. besides all that, ur dads car doesnt prove what maximas run. here are some numbers for you

Bone Stock 4th gen maxima:

Manual
Typical Stock: low-15's
Best Stock: 14.7
a mod or two: high-14's (many)
0-60 6.6

Auto
Typical Stock: high-15's
Best Stock: 15.6
a mod or two: 15.1
0-60 7.4

Old 06-30-2004, 05:25 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Will buying this car allow you to complete 8th grade? If not, I suggest you spend the money on a tutor.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:34 PM

ok, I think we are being a little too rough on him now. I think he gets the point.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:59 PM

seriously guys,

stay constructive. The guy is new but we have ALL been there.

We ALL had the same enthusiasm when we got our first cars and finding out that there was a place called maxima.org that supported our enthusiasm was a wetdream for us all.

doolster, take everything said here with the proverbial grain of salt. People here are cynical...
Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 PM
UCF Lexus

well said Rowan

Quick Reply: one of the best days of my life