4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 5-spd vs. Lincoln mark VIII

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 05:07 PM

My friend has a 98 lincoln mark VIII LSC, the thing is beatiful. My question is, how fast is it? It's got a 4.8L v8 auto with 290 horses, but it's a large heavy coupe. I'm wondering if my Max could take the car in a drag-race upward to 60mph or so, off the line? Keeping in mind that i have a 96SE 5-speed with average weight 17" rims and no speed mods. I think his car would be tough to beat on the highway considering the v8, and the car is basically buit for the highway, but off the line i think it would be close, what do you think?
Old 03-31-2001, 05:27 PM

One of my friends has a Mark VIII and I wanted to race him with my Max. I drove my uncles and wasn't impressed. I think the acceleration would be close. I don't think he'll smoke you tho.
Old 03-31-2001, 07:28 PM
TommyBoiSxty9

Originally posted by xpdw
One of my friends has a Mark VIII and I wanted to race him with my Max. I drove my uncles and wasn't impressed. I think the acceleration would be close. I don't think he'll smoke you tho.
Magazine Reports ranged from 6.6-6.8 sec. for the LSC

Old 03-31-2001, 08:25 PM

That's a nice Lincoln..it looks tight.

I've never seen one on the road before. How does it handle?
Old 03-31-2001, 08:38 PM
TommyBoiSxty9

I haven't driven one but Masssssiivvvve V8
lol
anyhow
http://www.nctd.com/98/lux/98mark8.cfm

THis ones sweeet...
http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/collect...bile_feb99.htm

There was a convertible done by Kustom Koach in CA too it was in motor trend a few years back

n e how if it wasnt so rattly i would buy one....

I refuse to test drive one cuz I'll fall in the love with the V8... I've got a V8 now I love its roar and torque... this has 85 more horses tho
pheww

Old 03-31-2001, 11:37 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Umm....not trying to bash or anything but the Lincoln would probably throw a rod and break down in the middle of the race. Or blow the transmission. No, seriously though I think it'd be close but you'd win by a car length. I swear once I was driving around and saw a brand new (2001) Town Car and heard it clicking!!! That's a Ford for ya.

Old 04-01-2001, 12:45 AM

V8 still got some raw power...

That kind of raw power is something an un-modified Maxima lacks! It would be similar to saying that a race between a Z28 and a Maxima would be close....

My guess is:

0 - 30: He will chew your **** and spit it back out
40 - 60: You pick up what you lost during 0-30
60 - 100: About even
120+: You better hope you have run out of road because you will be seeing nothing but his back end....

This is what I see as the most logical scenario. Still love my max though!
Old 04-01-2001, 04:53 AM
TommyBoiSxty9

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE
Umm....not trying to bash or anything but the Lincoln would probably throw a rod and break down in the middle of the race. Or blow the transmission. No, seriously though I think it'd be close but you'd win by a car length. I swear once I was driving around and saw a brand new (2001) Town Car and heard it clicking!!! That's a Ford for ya.
I'll give you the tranny....
but the 4.6L and 5.0L engines from Ford are one of their most reliable engines....
from 95 on the TBird has all full red cirlces (COnsumer Reports) that would be the 4.6L
The Crown Vic has all red circles, and one red half circle for the years 93-00, all red from 95 on ... for the Continental (pre 95 was the sh!tty V6), The Mk.. goes an avg, very good, very good, excellent, excellent,
Like I said that's the one thing that I think wlll last is the Engine on my TBird... in 107k miles, all it needed was a Powetrain Control thing and thats cuz the alarm shop F******d up when they installed the remote starter...
Other than that just normal maintenance.... it needs some suspension parts now tho...
And the interior just rattlees reatttlllees ratttleleess ahhhhh

Old 04-01-2001, 01:57 PM

OK I will sum this up by telling you my experience with Fords

96 Ford Explorer XLT, Fully loaded bought by my parents brand new, my mother drove this car and then I got it, 24,000 miles transfer case for the 4wd went out while my mother was driving it down the interstate-in the shop for 2 weeks, other problems persisted for the next 10,00 miles, cannot remember what, told my dad to but the extended warrenty for the car at about 34,000 miles, he told me no that car wont have any problems, YEAH RIGHT, he went ahead and bought the warrenty, 38,000 miles, transmission went out, after that the damn gas peddle fell off into the floorboard while I was driving, it,- had many other rattles, sold the car, a buddy of mine who washed cars at ford asked me why the car had been in the shop for the past 3 months, I then thought to myself we sold that car 3 months ago, sorry for whoever bought the damn thing when we sold it. I hate Fords, the only ones I like are the Lightning and the Cobra R, the SVT Contour is not that bad my buddy has one that is pretty phat, however he went to the dealership for problems and they told him that he needed a new clutch, he got a new clutch for around 800 bucks then the problem was still there then he went to the dealership and they said that it was the transmission,( no problem with the clutch to begin with ) took him almost a month to get the car back and it still wasn't fixed took it back for another few weeks and finally got the problem fixed for now.
I had to drive a rental car more than my explorer.
My 2 cents thanks.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:28 PM

limiter

comparison between the Lincoln and a Cadillac. The Lincoln was limited to around 138 while the Caddy ran upto 150.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:44 PM
TommyBoiSxty9

Re: OK I will sum this up by telling you my experience with Fords

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
96 Ford Explorer XLT, Fully loaded bought by my parents brand new, my mother drove this car and then I got it, 24,000 miles transfer case for the 4wd went out while my mother was driving it down the interstate-in the shop for 2 weeks, other problems persisted for the next 10,00 miles, cannot remember what, told my dad to but the extended warrenty for the car at about 34,000 miles, he told me no that car wont have any problems, YEAH RIGHT, he went ahead and bought the warrenty, 38,000 miles, transmission went out, after that the damn gas peddle fell off into the floorboard while I was driving, it,- had many other rattles, sold the car, a buddy of mine who washed cars at ford asked me why the car had been in the shop for the past 3 months, I then thought to myself we sold that car 3 months ago, sorry for whoever bought the damn thing when we sold it. I hate Fords, the only ones I like are the Lightning and the Cobra R, the SVT Contour is not that bad my buddy has one that is pretty phat, however he went to the dealership for problems and they told him that he needed a new clutch, he got a new clutch for around 800 bucks then the problem was still there then he went to the dealership and they said that it was the transmission,( no problem with the clutch to begin with ) took him almost a month to get the car back and it still wasn't fixed took it back for another few weeks and finally got the problem fixed for now.
My 2 cents thanks.
I totally agree some are complete junk... I can get 5.18% below invoice on a new one... but I refuse to buy one because i know it wont last I was saying that some V8's of fords have been really reliable

Old 04-01-2001, 03:54 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Re: OK I will sum this up by telling you my experience with Fords

My 2 cents thanks.

Let me just tell you I had a 1993 Ford SHO auto, it was my first car. It had 83K on it when I got it. I drove it for 20,000 miles and invested OVER $5000 (read=$5000) into the piece. Look at it this way, I paid at least $1 for every mile I drove. And that is just maintenance!!!! NEVER, EVER EVER will I ever again drive anything that is made in USA, much less a FORD. It's funny the difference cause I've had my Maxima for well over a year now and NOTHING has gone wrong with it. People ask "Why pay thousands more for an import??" Um....thats why!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2001, 04:01 PM

Austin

you need to go back to math class, I don't know if you are taking math this semester or not but you need to, at 20,000 miles if you paid $1 a mile that would be $20,000 not $5000, just thought I would let you know what a dumbsh!t you are. Course I only say that cause I am your friend, the only one that know **** about cars especially the Fords
Hit me up later man if you read this that is.
Old 04-01-2001, 07:17 PM

Re: V8 still got some raw power...

I am not sayin that your totally wrong in your opinion but I have driven the VIII and I didn't feel anything great in it. The Maxima is amazing because of its raw HP and Torque mix. People can dog the Max all they want but when it comes down to business, the Max can still outrun most eights. The engine is exposive. I like my stock 97 GXE because you always get peole that think you don't have anything under the hood because you don't have a wing or low profile wheels. Then, they get smoked.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:50 PM

well, with all this bashing Fords and all, I'm gonna state my positive experience with them. My last car was a 90 T-Bird v6 that i sold with 200,000 miles on the odo. I have not had any major problems with the car whatsoever, and just about everything on it was still original from the factory, including the starter, transmission, etc. The only thing i replaced was the alternator. Although the car wasn't really fun to drive because of a lack of performance, nonetheless it was a tank that was pretty well built.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:58 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Re: Austin

you need to go back to math class, I don't know if you are taking math this semester or not but you need to, at 20,000 miles if you paid $1 a mile that would be $20,000 not $5000, just thought I would let you know what a dumbsh!t you are. Course I only say that cause I am your friend, the only one that know **** about cars especially the Fords
Hit me up later man if you read this that is.

Umm...sorry everyone I'm really not that dumb....I'll be sure to take thorough notes tommorow in Math class, however.

Old 04-01-2001, 10:35 PM

I'm just going to keep my mouth shut
Old 04-02-2001, 09:51 AM

My brother owned a 95 Mark VIII. When my Maxima was stock, we raced a few times. I beat him 2 out of 3, so you should be ok. It comes down to your launch--get a good launch, good reaction, and you'll win easy--he won't catch you. Get a crappy launch, and you won't catch him.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:18 AM

Re: Re: V8 still got some raw power...

Originally posted by xpdw
I am not sayin that your totally wrong in your opinion but I have driven the VIII and I didn't feel anything great in it. The Maxima is amazing because of its raw HP and Torque mix. People can dog the Max all they want but when it comes down to business, the Max can still outrun most eights. The engine is exposive. I like my stock 97 GXE because you always get peole that think you don't have anything under the hood because you don't have a wing or low profile wheels. Then, they get smoked.
Please don't get me wrong; I am in no way trying to dog the maxima. As a proud Maxima owner, I would not trade my car for any other Japanese or America sedans.

Yes, Maximas will beat a lot of the V8 cars on the market, but that's because we are a good 1000 pounds less than them! People can argue all day and night about Mark VIII being faster or slower, but the difference is still about 100 horses, 100 lb/ft of torque, and 800 pounds! Raw power-wise, Maxima doesn't come close. Weight-wise, Maixma has a HUGE advantage.

Would you consider racing any car with 4 full adults (200 lbs average) siting in your car?

Would people try to race with you if they know you have a 280 hp powerplant in a maxima?

Compared to a Civic or a Sentra, Maxima has a lot of raw power. Compared to a Z28, SVT Cobra, BMW 540, I am afraid Maxima doesn't come close. Why do you think people like us continue to spend $ to add horses? I know I am modding my max for a reason!
Old 04-02-2001, 12:48 PM

Edward how did u get the corners that blue.....me likes send info please...And Me also make no comment concerning the ford situation
Old 04-02-2001, 07:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: V8 still got some raw power...

Waitin for the next generation Max. 260 Horses!!!