4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

maxima help plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 10:12 PM

maxima help plz

1995 maxima se w/ manual. bought it a few weeks ago.

when i press the gas pedal theres a slight delay before it starts revving. its almost a second. is this normal?

sometimes when i press the clutch in and shift into reverse it doesnt go. i have to release the clutch and press it in again. this only happens with reverse and its pretty rare. cause?

shifitng is kind of sticky. for example when i shift into a gear its a little rough, but if i shift into nuetral and back into the gear its completely smooth. however if i shift into a different gear then back into the gear its rough again. happens when im stopped or moving.

sometimes when starting the car up, it makes a weird noise. similar noise to turning the key when the car is already started, but its not the same noise. its rly hard to describe the noise.

check engine light is not on, but i am getting the code for a knock sensor which i will be replacing next week.

brought the car to a mechanic and he said the clutch is pretty worn. also about a week ago i checked my clutch fluid and it was almost empty. so i filled it up. doesnt seem to be a leak so im guessing the person i bought the car from didnt check the clutch fluid.

thoughts?
Old 07-03-2004, 05:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Starter noise: http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/516. With the delay, is there a sticking feeling of the gas pedal, if so maybe a really dirty TB?
Old 07-03-2004, 07:09 AM

make the TB cable is alittle too loose? i was just messing with mine cause i put in new motor. as for the sticky gears. i got a BRAND NEW 5 spd tranny last year afet rmine blew. 0 miles on it, and the gears felt alittle sticky. same with my old one. i tihnk its just the way it is in maximas? correct me if im wrong. and it might depend how sticky aswell.

as for reverse, i also believe maxiams like that, at least the 4th gen. happens to me all the time. it also liek this in my is300. just the way standard is at times?

how many miles ur max got anyhow? that might be able to tell you what kinda maintnace might have to be done. if low miles between 70k-100k then probally started and a few otehr little things. cause like in my car, i had 181k when i got my 95 and i swaped tranny at 196k and just now motor(ran perfect) at 231k. and in between others things.

-rafal
Old 07-03-2004, 08:22 AM

gas pedal isnt sticky at all. just when i [ress it down it waits for almost a second before the engine responds. im sure u can imagine how this makes it harder to time the clutching.

my maxma has 128k miles on it.

something i forgot to add. when i first filled up the clutch fluid, for about 10 minutes shifting was smooth as silk. but then it went back to being sticky.

doesnt seem like my transmission is bad because of the info i just stated in the above paragrapg, and also because of the fact that if i re shift into the gear from nuetral its completely smooth. the stickyness is also the exact same for every gear, not just certain ones. its also never slipped or messed up when i put it in gear.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:24 AM

bumping.....
Old 07-03-2004, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by hovz
gas pedal isnt sticky at all. just when i [ress it down it waits for almost a second before the engine responds. im sure u can imagine how this makes it harder to time the clutching.
Not sure about the clutch thing, but I have the same problem with the car not doing anything when you press the gas. It could be the coil packs or leaking injectors.

I'm planning on replacing the o-rings on the front injectors since those are easier and then I'll see what happens. I do remember having 2 soaked spark plugs when I did my first tuneup last year (a few months after I got the car). I'm also using too much gas so I'm planning on replacing the front oxygen sensors soon.