4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y Pipe/Dynomax Combo Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 07:17 AM

Y Pipe/Dynomax Combo Question

yo guys...

I was planning on waiting to do my exhaust until next spring, but last night i got in my max and it was running loud, which i'm pretty positive is an exhaust leak so i figured why get it fixed just to get it replaced within a year anyways.

I'm thinking of getting the budget y pipe and a dynomax super turbo muffler. Anyone that has this set up or some suggestions let me know your 2 cents.

My only other concern would be the end of the exhaust (tip etc). My max got rear ended a while ago and when the mechanic fixed my exhaust it the tip thats on there now got really banged up and doesnt stick out past my bumper anymore, which is pretty unsafe actually.

Anyone have any suggestions of what i could do as far as a tip or anything that would look good?

PICTURES PREFERED if anyone has a similar setup on their max.

Thanks foolz
Old 07-04-2004, 07:40 AM

I got a 2.5" custom bent catback exhaust to go with my y pipe and i put a 2.5" dynomax super turbo muffler on the end with a 3.5" walmart tip hehe. Sounds good, just make sure you get a resonator. Its alittle loud but sounds nice so i like it. I've gotten lots of compliments.

Old 07-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If your looking for a "loud" setup, then stray away from the dynomax. Ive had this exact setup (budget Y, dynomax muffler) however in dual exhaust form. I switched to a flowmaster setup because i wanted more sound. My buddy currently has my old dual exhaust setup, but hacked back into a single exhaust and it sounds decent. Its not loud at all. If your looking for an exhaust "note" then the dynomax isnt for you. It has more of a whooosh sound to it (hence its name).

I can't provide any pics unless you want dualie pics...

-eric
Old 07-04-2004, 08:32 AM

so does the resonator make it louder or softer? i never really understood what exactly it does or where it goes...

How much do you guys think i'm looking to pay for installation? Did you just show up with the y pipe and dynomax muffler and have them put it on or what should i have them do for me?

Thanks for the input already guys, i really appreciate it.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:36 AM

i know its hard to describe, but whats the difference in sound between the dynomax and flowmaster?

i dont want anything raspy, just a comfortable deep rumble. the loudness of it doesnt matter too much to me, as long as it has a powerful sound to it.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by danbortz
i know its hard to describe, but whats the difference in sound between the dynomax and flowmaster?

i dont want anything raspy, just a comfortable deep rumble. the loudness of it doesnt matter too much to me, as long as it has a powerful sound to it.

No rumble will come from the dynomax, sorry. The sound difference outside is night and day bewteen the flow and dyno. Flow has a more powerful, higher pitched sound to it. Hard to describe. I have some vids of my exhaust if someone would care to host them.

Expect to pay anywhere from 150-250 bucks. Depends what you want and if any custom work is necessary.

-eric
Old 07-04-2004, 09:57 AM

eric...

does it sound like the mp3's on custommaxima.com for their dual exhaust set up?

what type of flowmaster mufflers are you using?

thanks
dan
Old 07-04-2004, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
If your looking for a "loud" setup, then stray away from the dynomax. Ive had this exact setup (budget Y, dynomax muffler) however in dual exhaust form. I switched to a flowmaster setup because i wanted more sound. My buddy currently has my old dual exhaust setup, but hacked back into a single exhaust and it sounds decent. Its not loud at all. If your looking for an exhaust "note" then the dynomax isnt for you. It has more of a whooosh sound to it (hence its name).

I can't provide any pics unless you want dualie pics...

-eric
how come you are selling your Maxima?
________
Christofer

Last edited by Maximeltman; 08-31-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:31 PM

I have a budget y pipe and factory all the way back to the muffler which i replaced with a dynomax super turbo and it was alot louder than stock and sounded like a farm truck. So i swiched back to factory style.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:37 PM

ive got the same set up. custom 2.5 inch cat back to a dynomax super turbo muffler. no y pipe, but it does still give a nice low rumble that im looking for up until about 2800 rpm. i dont have a resonator, although i've been told by everyone that ill need one when i get my budget y pipe. if you get yours on, post sound clips. ill put up pix of my exhaust set up when i get home or you can just check out my webpage.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:33 PM

do you think a Y-pipe and a magnaflow muffler would need a resonator or would that setup have a similar low rumble sound to the other mufflers?
Old 07-04-2004, 07:39 PM

^ I had a y-pipe with a resonator and a magnaflow muffler and it was still quite loud. Somewhat annoying on the highway actually... I ended up replacing the resonator with a turbo muffler (2 chambers)... still flows better than stock since the magnaflow muffler is nothing more than a resonator anyways. In theory its basically the same as having a resonator and a dynomax muffler.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
how come you are selling your Maxima?

good question...

-eric