4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thinking about selling my 98 SE 5-speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 05:59 AM

Thinking about selling my 98 SE 5-speed

Anyone interested? I'd like to get around $9000 for it. Just hit 104k miles, haven't had any real problems with the car in the 1.5 years I've had it. I replaced a couple O2 sensors recently, had the alignment done... otherwise this car has been really trouble-free. My GF's dad is a Nissan mechanic with 20+ years experience, besides me, he has been the only one to ever touch the car.

Mod info is in my signature and some more info is on my website (link in sig). If anyone has any interest or wants to make an offer, lemme know.

SE, 5-speed, cloth interior, aftermarket ASC full-power sunroof, JVC CD head unit, Kenwood 4-channel amp, JBL 1-channel sub amp, RF front components, 35% tint all around... email or PM me with any other questions.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 98se5speed
Anyone interested? I'd like to get around $9000 for it. Just hit 104k miles, haven't had any real problems with the car in the 1.5 years I've had it. I replaced a couple O2 sensors recently, had the alignment done... otherwise this car has been really trouble-free. My GF's dad is a Nissan mechanic with 20+ years experience, besides me, he has been the only one to ever touch the car.

Mod info is in my signature and some more info is on my website (link in sig). If anyone has any interest or wants to make an offer, lemme know.

SE, 5-speed, cloth interior, aftermarket ASC full-power sunroof, JVC CD head unit, Kenwood 4-channel amp, JBL 1-channel sub amp, RF front components, 35% tint all around... email or PM me with any other questions.
$9000 is alot, shoot for 7000. FYI i got my 99 SE-L , sunroof, bose. for $6600 and it only had 94,000 miles on it and it was the orignial owner
Old 07-07-2004, 09:20 AM

thanks for the tip... I wasn't entirely sure where to start, but I figured starting too high was better than too low. Sounds like you got an awesome deal on your 99. I guess I figure the 5-speed and mods are worth a decent amount, I suppose it really depends on who is willing to pay for those items.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:42 AM

$7k is kinda low too.

Dude, you got a really good deal on that 99 SE-L to get it for $6k.

Why you selling?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:45 AM

thanks for the tip... I wasn't entirely sure where to start, but I figured starting too high was better than too low. Sounds like you got an awesome deal on your 99. I guess I figure the 5-speed and mods are worth a decent amount, I suppose it really depends on who is willing to pay for those items.
SE 5 speeds are relatively rare, so you've got that going for you. But you might want to consider removing the mods, parting them out, and returning the car to stock. You'll never get the same net amount by selling the mods on the car.

BTW, you also might consider posting this in the FS forum.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:51 AM

Oops... dupe post.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:23 AM

yeah, I posted here first, then remembered there's a FS forum. Incase you didn't read my posts there, I'm selling because the GF and I just bought a house, our budget is a bit tighter than I'd like, plus I already have 2 other paid-off cars, including a 62 Corvette. Her car is a 95 Maxima, so I can also mod and play with her car if I feel the need. Too bad hers is an auto.

I'm sure I could make more cash in the end selling my mods piece by piece, but I'd rather just keep the car together and as-is, hopefully someone who knows and appreciates what I've done to it would be willing to pay a bit more than what kbb.com says it's worth. They don't exactly let you check boxes for things like Y-pipes, HID kits, short-throw shifters and lowering springs!

I'm also in no huge hurry to sell the car, and I'm not entirely sure that I will, but I'm just checking interest and feedback on price right now. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:40 AM

I know that you think it will be easier to sell the car as is, but the other guy is right....part it out and get it back to stock. I mean, I don't care who it is, they don't appreciate what the real worth of the parts you have put on there are.

You will be happier, even if it takes up a little more of your time. I mean, that is why you are selling it anyway....to get some more cash. Your best bet is to part it out and then sell the stock Maxima.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:52 AM

yeah, I posted here first, then remembered there's a FS forum. Incase you didn't read my posts there, I'm selling because the GF and I just bought a house, our budget is a bit tighter than I'd like, plus I already have 2 other paid-off cars, including a 62 Corvette. Her car is a 95 Maxima, so I can also mod and play with her car if I feel the need. Too bad hers is an auto.

I'm sure I could make more cash in the end selling my mods piece by piece, but I'd rather just keep the car together and as-is, hopefully someone who knows and appreciates what I've done to it would be willing to pay a bit more than what kbb.com says it's worth. They don't exactly let you check boxes for things like Y-pipes, HID kits, short-throw shifters and lowering springs!

I'm also in no huge hurry to sell the car, and I'm not entirely sure that I will, but I'm just checking interest and feedback on price right now. Thanks for the replies.
Since your GF has a Maxima, why not just move the mods you can over to her car?

Another thing to think about. When I see a modded car for sale, I tend to get the impression that it was driven hard, and that would make me shy away from buying it. I realize that might be an incorrect assumption, but I'm probably not alone.

In any case, it's a sweet car, and good luck selling it.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:08 PM

In my area, zip 94536, your car is worth close to 10Gs. Ofcourse this is the price that you would pay a dealer.. since you are selling it yourself, I think 9G is perfect. However, car prices do vary by the area, the best would be to pick up the local paper and get an average price of what the car is selling for..
Old 07-07-2004, 12:13 PM

www.edmunds.com is going to give you the best average price that you can expect to get.
It will be somewhere between the wholesale price and the full retail price. That is the funny thing about cars, it has to be agreeable to both parties involved....buyer and seller. If you can find something that they are agreeable at and you are, you will sell a car.

NADA is close, but KBB is way off.
Use Edmunds for a guestimation and you should be good. (when I used to sell cars and when I was looking for mine, I used all of them and averaged them on a bunch of different cars. The average was with a few dollars of what edmunds.com already said. They are right on.)
Old 07-07-2004, 12:29 PM

wow your're lucky to get a SE-L for 6600.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
If you can find something that they are agreeable at and you are, you will sell a car.
Great point. Cars are no different than any other good: the item will sell at the highest price that the market will bear, given typical cirumstances. Tools like KBB are not magic bullets.

If you're not in a hurry, get a good average of what others are going for and add a grand. The worst that will happen is someone will like the car and "lowball" you down to what others are selling for. I did this and sold my former vehicle (2000 Accord coupe 17 months old, 17k miles) for barely less than what I paid for it because the seller didn't do his research. Win-win situation.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
$7k is kinda low too.

Dude, you got a really good deal on that 99 SE-L to get it for $6k.

Why you selling?
was this directed at me. i am not selling....