4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which one should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:30 PM

Which one should I get?

After reading a threat about some dude's car that was hydrolocked, I'm kinda scared to get an Injen intake. How come the Stillen, HKS, JWT, and Place racing intakes look different from the Injen. Is there an advantage for the Injen intake to be long like that?
Furthermore, is the Injen really worth it? ($272) I just want an intake that growls when after 5000rpm, something that screams for mercy. Will a Stillen be able to this for me, or should I just get the Injen?
Lastly, is the Stillen less likely to suck in water b/c it's smaller and the piping is shorter than the Injen?

Soo confused, i know your tired of answering questions or ingnoring them, but please just help me out here.

THanks
Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
acj

Originally Posted by pakteef
I just want an intake that growls when after 5000rpm, something that screams for mercy.
If you just want the sound of an intake, and you have a little experience with tools, I would say just make your own intake. It will cost you around $35. I believe there are instructions in the How-To section...maybe the Mods section, either way there are instructions to follow on here.

I made my own intake out of 3" piping and a cheap cone filter. It was a great, deep sound after 3,000 rpm. Notice I said it "was" a great sound. I no longer have this intake because intakes cause you to lose low-end power (unless you get a true CAI or do the hacked airbox).

A hacked airbox is another way to get to a nice growl...or so others have said. I will be trying this soon and doing away with my half-*** popcharger setup.

...and when I made my intake I left the lower part of the air box on the car to keep water away from the filter.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:06 PM

from my personal experience, i'd say go with the frankencar intake. i've had mine for 10 months and absolutely love it. the deep growl it gives is wonderful. sometimes, it will even growl when i lightly step on the accelerator. i've received so many positive comments from my friends who've rode with me. check out www.frankencar.com
Old 07-12-2004, 02:10 PM

also, on the topic of performance, i have not noticed any decrease in the lowend like many people claim to have experienced with other intakes. i dunno if it's just frankencar, but from the moment i installed it and took my baby for a test drive, i've never noticed any power loss. for the past 10 months, my car has been so much more fun to drive...can't wait for the ypipe now
Old 07-12-2004, 04:12 PM
acj

Originally Posted by soccstv
also, on the topic of performance, i have not noticed any decrease in the lowend like many people claim to have experienced with other intakes. i dunno if it's just frankencar, but from the moment i installed it and took my baby for a test drive, i've never noticed any power loss.
Try putting the stock intake back on and see if you can feel a difference.

I thought after I put my mid-pipe/cone filter intake on that it felt great. And it did...but that was during the winter. When it started getting warmer outside I could definitely feel a lag while accelerating. I ended up putting the stock resonator back onto the car and it felt great…so much more responsive. So my next step is doing the “hacked-air box” and seeing what it does.

Your Frankencar setup may not have lost any power. Since I haven’t tried one of these I can’t really say you did lose power.

And I agree with the sound you get from intakes…it is great! Everyone who rides with me compliment the “deep” sound from the engine bay (and thats with just a popcharger setup).
Old 07-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can use a bypass valve with the injen. i think AEM makes it for their intakes. They say that you may loose 1 hp but if the cone is submerged in water you wont hydrolock. You dont need it in the summer but its a good thing to have in the winter.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Old Maxima Legend

no problems here and we have lots of rain in the south. to rest easy just get a midpipe and jwt pop charger, that should do the trick !