4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can't redline in an auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001 | 04:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know that you can redline as you want with a 5spd. How about an auto? I know this subject has been brought up before, but I didn't have any mods back then. Anyway, with my CAI and y-pipe, the acceleration is really good. However, I noticed that when I'm driving at highway speed, when I punch it, the car would downshift, but then, it seem to upshift a bit early? It didn't redline or even close to be honest. Why is that? Anyone else have this problem? I read posts before that there were members who had their auto get to redline or at least, very close to it. I know that if I manually shift, I can redline it, but I don't think I'm stupid enough to try downshifting manually when I'm at highway speed; not exactly good on your engine. So, most of the times, I just leave the car in D with OD on. I don't see much difference with OD on or off, so I just leave it on whether it's on the highway or street. Anyway I can help my auto to redline or very close to it? Or is there just something wrong with my car? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2001 | 09:13 PM
Ramius83

Basically, all autos are like that, mine in particular. When you are cruising, at a certain speed, and you punch the throttle, it kinda shifts funny very quickly, then shifts again, then you haul ***. It is very weird, but this is normal because your computer does not know what you are wanting to do. You are saying that you can't redline.....Next time at a red light, really really stomp it, I guarantee you can redline it just barely. I have a couple times, but it is quite hard, the rev limiter will not really let you get to high. Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2001 | 09:20 PM

all I can say that it will
Chirrrrpppppppppp vrooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm (almost redline)
Chirpp vrooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (almost redline)
vrooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (don't bother to redline because the cop will get you or you car barely has the power)
vroooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (Can never red line because you don't have enough power to get to redline)
assuming normal auto with regular mods....I dunno how Don's will do...his auto is ..well...at a class of its own...ahahahahaha....
Ah shoot...what do I know.....can't say I never tried the above
heheheheheeh
enjoy the ride
Old 04-02-2001 | 11:11 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

hey Mr **** A lots, you have a 96 rite? You can buy my JWT Tranny ECU and you can redline in your auto!!! i been wanting to sell it for awhile but no one responds after i email them or they offer me too low of prices...
Old 04-02-2001 | 11:12 PM

Just like Ramius83 said, if you really stomp on it, you can get it to redline, or almost to it. I was wondering about this same thing, and today i made a right turn onto a 45 mph street and just stomped on the gas. I touched the redline for a split second before it shifted.
Old 04-03-2001 | 12:22 AM

I can redline in the first two gears, but the third and fourth gears don't reach redline... it shifts a little earlier.
Old 04-03-2001 | 12:31 AM
OG

I feel you on the redline thing Cumalot. I'm starting to hate my auto. Drove a couple 5spds this past week and damnit I'm jelous. Even w/my mods a stock 5spd feels faster.
Old 04-03-2001 | 12:57 AM

yeah get the jwt computer

and you can redline all you want. Otherwise...leave it in low D1-d2-d3 shift accordinly but word of caution...say bye bye to tranny.
Old 04-03-2001 | 06:09 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: yeah get the jwt computer

Originally posted by party_boy
and you can redline all you want. Otherwise...leave it in low D1-d2-d3 shift accordinly but word of caution...say bye bye to tranny.
When will we learn that upshifting manually is no different to the tranny than letting it do it by itself. Down shifting at too high an MPH for that gear will be bad, but the tranny doesnt care where the lever was or is when you floor it in first and then pop the lever from 1 to 2 just before redline...it was going to shift just before redline on its own anyway.
Old 04-03-2001 | 09:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Believe me, I really really stomp on it before and still couldn't redline. From a stop, I seem to be able to get closer to redline than if I stop on the gas at highway speed. I guess what really get me is that when I'm traveling at highway speed, and when I want to pass someone by steping hard on the gas, I do get good acceleration. However, I couldn't redline or even close. I step on the gas to the max, if I step harder, my foot might go through the car. I just hate it that the auto shifts too early if you ask me. I'll get Don's VB recalibration later on. I really don't know if that will solve the problem.

Turbo95Max: I would like get your ECU, but the price I saw on your 'for sale' post is still a bit high for me. Besides being able to redline, what else does the ECU do?

I know I can redline if I manually shift, but let face it, do that often, and you can say goodbye to your tranny. I do not want to do that.

Guess we auto owners should have bought a 5spd., huh? Too bad I didn't get much of a say in that. This car was handled down to me. Oh well, can't complain too much.
Old 04-03-2001 | 10:16 AM
99silvermax

WHY DO YOU WANT TO?

I hate to be the one to tell you, but by not reaching the redline, all you are doing is saving your engine. Shift it manually a couple of times so that it goes to the redline. Your not missing out on much power if any. It will not hurt the transmission to shift it yourself.
Old 04-03-2001 | 10:33 AM

Originally posted by SmoothMax
Even w/my mods a stock 5spd feels faster.
Jesus, really? You just solved any problem I may have down the road when deciding whether to settle on an auto.
Old 04-03-2001 | 11:06 PM

i know how you can redline, go up to about 80 and drop it down to first you shouldnt have a problem then lol... has anyone here ever have someone tell them that when you see a cop you should downshift your auto to slow down rather than hit the brakes so its less obvious.. haha... you might get out of a ticket but youll spend a lot more on a new tranny.. i dont know where people get that logic from, who knows
Old 04-03-2001 | 11:55 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by JoesMAX
i know how you can redline, go up to about 80 and drop it down to first you shouldnt have a problem then lol... has anyone here ever have someone tell them that when you see a cop you should downshift your auto to slow down rather than hit the brakes so its less obvious.. haha... you might get out of a ticket but youll spend a lot more on a new tranny.. i dont know where people get that logic from, who knows
Well as a matter of fact you can throw your automatic car into 1st while doing 100 and nothing will happen, the car will not let itself actually go into 1st , so its impossible, a good thing too
Old 04-04-2001 | 01:40 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Re: WHY DO YOU WANT TO?

Originally posted by 99silvermax
I hate to be the one to tell you, but by not reaching the redline, all you are doing is saving your engine. Shift it manually a couple of times so that it goes to the redline. Your not missing out on much power if any. It will not hurt the transmission to shift it yourself.

Sorry everyone about your auto transmissions. However, if you have no mods, as long as it runs to 6 you're not missing out on some huge rush of power. 6000 is about as good as it gets in the rev range stock. Add an intake and that will change though. Unless I'm REALLY running it, I shift at 6000.
Old 04-04-2001 | 11:17 AM

thats cool i didnt know that that your car wont let drop the gear when youre going that fast.. its true though whenever i push close to redline it like hurts me lol... i usually rev high but i try not to rev that high.. sometimes you hit a spot on the gas and the needle jumps up high but other than that i try to stay out of the 6k's