4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Quick Question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 05:21 PM

Need Advice..

Auto Insurence in NY is expensive, hence my question. Do you think I need full coverage (liability/collision/comprehensive) for my 1997 Maxima GLE? Some say if a car is less then 10 years old you should. Or do you think I should just stick with liability and save almost 700 dollars each 6 months? I cant decide and I am faced with this becasue my renewal is coming up..

Thanks for your input in advance..
Old 08-17-2004, 06:34 PM

Help need to decide tonight.. hehe..
Old 08-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Humble '06 TL Owner

Do the liability-only, you're getting burned for full coverage because you are young. Drop the collision, drive safely and beat the odds of a younger person getting in an accident and you'll save a ton of money...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My sister rear ended someone in my Max a few years ago. The car did not look damaged, only the license holder was broken. Then I noticed the bumper was pushed in a little bit. Well it turned out to be about $2200 dollars in damage to my car. All it takes is one time to make you wish you had the better insurance coverage. It worked out for me as I had, and still have full coverage. I would hate to think how much more it would have been if it would have been an accident with a stronger impact , and I did not have full coverage. I recommend you to keep the liability, collision, & comprehensive coverage.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
My sister rear ended someone in my Max a few years ago. The car did not look damaged, only the license holder was broken. Then I noticed the bumper was pushed in a little bit. Well it turned out to be about $2200 dollars in damage to my car. All it takes is one time to make you wish you had the better insurance coverage. It worked out for me as I had, and still have full coverage. I would hate to think how much more it would have been if it would have been an accident with a stronger impact , and I did not have full coverage. I recommend you to keep the liability, collision, & comprehensive coverage.
Thanks both of your guys.. But now I have two differing opinions.. I need a few more to figure it out.. ;-D

O, 1996blackmax, I cant get the pictures to be left to right like urs?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Humble '06 TL Owner

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
In this case he would have to get into an accident like that every year and a half for it to pay and that's not factoring in the deductable. After a couple of accidents thay would either jack his rates sky-high or just dump him altogether. Collision on an eight year plus old car is simply not worth it any way you look at it, kinda like letting someone borrow your car...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by 98SterlingMax
In this case he would have to get into an accident like that every year and a half for it to pay and that's not factoring in the deductable. After a couple of accidents thay would either jack his rates sky-high or just dump him altogether. Collision on an eight year plus old car is simply not worth it any way you look at it, kinda like letting someone borrow your car...
Good point, would love to hear a reply to this from 1996blackmax..
Old 08-17-2004, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 98SterlingMax

I do not know how you drive, but the idea is not to get into an accident like that every year and a half, it is insurance, there in case you need it. The point is that if his car is totalled he will walk away with cash to buy another one, or if is not totalled he can get it fixed. I would much rather pay my deductible than having to pay the whole accident out of my pocket. Besides if it is not his fault he does not pay the deductible. Not everyone has a few grand to throw down after an accident. By the way driving safe does not mean you wont get into an accident by a long shot. I believe that I am a careful driver, no accidents, and last ticket was in 1995. Last week some idiot on his cell phone too worried about looking cool and sitting/leaning in his car ran a stop sign and almost hit me and my kids. Luckily I punched it and swerved out of the way. Had I been going a little slower, or if there was a car coming in the opposite direction not giving me room to swerve I would have gotten hit. For you it may not be worth it, but for me it is no matter what way you look at it. By the way how is letting my sister drive my car "not worth it"? Maybe you are not close with your family. To me the Maxima is a car, and if any of my siblings needs it, it is there for them. She still drives my Max, and I sometimes drive her 2000 Maxima. I like to think that those years driving my car helped her make a good decision when she bought her own car .
Old 08-17-2004, 11:33 PM

Look at all the threads on here about people get wrecked into. Or just be smart and think about all the car thefts in your area of the US.

Repeat the question in your mind.

Full

Proph
Old 08-18-2004, 07:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Either keep the insurance and give them your money or take the difference and put it in a savings a account. If you go the insurance approach, after a few years of accident free driving and that money is gone. If you go the savings account approach, a few years of accident free driving will build you a nice reverve fund for future accidents or repairs.

Either way, you need to give up the money NOW.

Either way you will need to put some mon
Old 08-19-2004, 06:26 AM

I understand everyting you guys are saying, but overall is it better to save the money, or ust pony it up for safety..
Old 08-19-2004, 06:33 AM

more vuews on this post would be great..

i have less then 2 hours to decided ;/..
Old 08-19-2004, 07:27 AM

Help less then a hour, need advice.. ;(
Old 08-19-2004, 10:08 AM

go with the liability and dont let people drive your car
Old 08-19-2004, 01:24 PM

About an hour an a half too late .
Old 08-19-2004, 01:43 PM

yea it was.. decided to go with liability, and comprehensive.. collision was 1,000 more a year..
Old 08-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Humble '06 TL Owner

Originally Posted by Dannytzo
yea it was.. decided to go with liability, and comprehensive.. collision was 1,000 more a year..
That's what I've got. Simply said, collision ain't worth it. I love those arguments about getting hit by red-light runners and such...those would be paid for by the guy who ran the light. Also to quiet anybody who would say "what if the other guy doesn't have insurance?", you get uninsured motorist coverage regardless of collision coverage.