4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does the Maxima have any potential?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 04:37 PM

Does the Maxima have any potential?

This was asked in MaximaRacing.org, and I just wanted to ask it here

I just want to hear some of your opinions. My question is :

"At this day and age where our Maximas (4th Gen specifically) can be easily considered obsolete, does it still have any potential when up against new cars these days, and is it worth the money for its potential?"
Old 08-19-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

Used 4-gen manual $5000 or so. Turbo kit $3500 or so. = Well over 300hp or close to 400hp at the crank.

Conclusion: Seems like potential to me. Especially when you whip a G35 or 350z
Old 08-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The maxima has lots of potential I think. But besides all what I'm going to list. Any car has potential. It's all up to how much money you want to spend on your car.

You can go:
Turbo

S/C

3.5 swap + 4.3 Stroker kit + T/C or S/C

N/A:
JWT Cams
JWT ECU Upgrade
Cattman Headers
Cattman Catback
Intake
MEVI/2000VIM + bored TB/pathfinder TB
Lightened UPD
Lightened Flywheel
ACT Clutch
Upgraded Tranny
3.5 Internals or VQ30DET internals
Quiafe LSD
Old 08-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I think that with all of the N/A mods listed above along with a supercharger one could get into the low 13s. Add some NOS and now we are talking high 12s. Shaving over 2 seconds in the quarter mile ain't bad for only $7000 in mods.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:01 PM

the max is an absolutely wonderfull car, but if performance is what your really after, it may not be for you. RWD really is important, and the maxima will reach its limits alot faster than a car that isnt a front wheel drive four door sedan.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:26 PM
brotherhood of tq

it all depends wat your looking for... i say u can go faster for cheaper by buying a camaro z28 and starting from there. just remember that to go fast u need a great platform.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:36 PM

i30ds,

Why would anyone in there right mind want to spend $7k to shave 2 seconds off the 1/4 time?

You could easily shave 2 seconds or more for under a grand with a nitrous kit.

Sure I know some people might say well that powers isn't there all the time, but neither is the additional strain or sh!ttier gas milage.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
i30ds,

Why would anyone in there right mind want to spend $7k to shave 2 seconds off the 1/4 time?

You could easily shave 2 seconds or more for under a grand with a nitrous kit.

Sure I know some people might say well that powers isn't there all the time, but neither is the additional strain or sh!ttier gas milage.
The reason why most people don't put nos on their car is the fact that it burns the engine up pretty good! Many members on the forum who use nos regularly are on their second or third engine. Plus, I doubt one could shave 2 seconds off the 1/4 time with nos alone. I would bet with a "safe" amount you could get maybe a second. Try any more and you would definitly blow the engine for sure.

remember, the 12 second estimate was with all the N/A mods, SC, and a moderate dose of nos. Maybe an extra 80 hp or so form the nos!

Also, it is totally justified to drop $7k into a car like the Maxima! Think about it, you could wave bye, bye to a NSX which is still over $20k for an yearly 90s!! Plus, you would be one of the few that has actually taken a Max to the limit! Very Rare Indeed!!
Old 08-19-2004, 11:38 PM

i30ds,

Click on this link & look at the 1/4 mile times on the right hand side of the page. http://www.fastmaxima.com/index.html

Those are Jimes 1/4 mile times with nitrous.
He has no internal engine modifications, no aftermarket ECU only a SAFC, a cold air intake, exhaust & a basically stock transmission. And those times I beleived are with a 150hp nitrous shot. I'm pretty sure thats the original motor & trans too. If you ask him, he will give you the low down on it.

Basically he's running low 12's on a 150hp shot. And I think his 5th gen max has broke into the 11's on a 200hp shot. But if you use nitrous correctly it will not harm your engine the way I think you think it would. Sure instantaniously dumping an additional 150hp on the motor isn't the safest thing to do, but that could easily be avoided with a progressive nitrous controller. Or simply by running a 2 stage set up.

I'm only running a 50hp shot with , HAI & cat back exhaust & have recorded mid 13's second 1/4 mile passes on street tires @ almost 4 thousand feet above sea level. If my math is correct, I have already shaved off 2 seconds over the stock 1/4 mile time. And I haven't even did any weight reduction. That was just with the spare tire & jack out of the car. But in all honesty I still had my speaker box bolted down in the trunk. So basically call it even, or slightly heavier then stock. But you still have to keep in mind I ran those times at L.A.C.R in California at way above sea level. If I even run at Pomona, closer to sea level I would probably knock off a few more tenths.

As far as dumping $7k into a max I don't have a problem with that. But if you only expect to break into the low 13's or high 12's for that amount of money, why not just go find something used & cheap that you can hook up & can be your track star? It just seems more logical to me to build something that would be alot cheaper to fix if something major brakes. Not to mention, something smaller, lighter & quicker seems like it would just be more fun to have as my toy. But thats just my opinion, I'm not trying to knock anyones ideas. I understand the coolness behind having a sleeper.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
it all depends wat your looking for... i say u can go faster for cheaper by buying a camaro z28 and starting from there. just remember that to go fast u need a great platform.
A Z28 (LT4) is a poor platform.....

Now, an SS (LS1) on the other hand, thats a beautiful thing.
Or a trans-am.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:40 AM

im running a 12.9 with s/c and 30 shot of nos and i'd spend the money to do it again just out of enjoyment of turning heads with the max
Old 08-20-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by i30ds
I think that with all of the N/A mods listed above along with a supercharger one could get into the low 13s. Add some NOS and now we are talking high 12s. Shaving over 2 seconds in the quarter mile ain't bad for only $7000 in mods.

Well I have to disagree with this. I think with all the N/A mods listed and with the right suspension and slicks you could be in the low 13's high 12's if not even quicker. Add a supercharger after that and you would be flying.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by passEMonTHErite
A Z28 (LT4) is a poor platform.....

Now, an SS (LS1) on the other hand, thats a beautiful thing.
Or a trans-am.
Umm, do you mean the LT1? The LT4 was only available in special later model C4 Vettes. There were a couple LT4 SS Camaros, but they weren't for sale. The LS1 is a great motor and easily out performs the LT1 simply because the LS1 corrected many of the LT1's restrictions. However, add a cam, longtube headers, ECU, LT4 heads/intake manifold, rockers, intake, and catback and compare it to the LS1 with similar mods and the LS1 won't be any quicker. Many agree the LT1/LT1 is actually a stronger and potentially more powerful motor than the LS1 once you've started modifying.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:29 AM

I would say so, if you've no problem modding it a good bit. Even stock it can keep up with most of the brand new rice rockets (spec v, civic SI, scion tC, svt focus, etc.). In terms of the higher end sedans like the new camry, accord, maxima, yeah it's lacking, but it doesn't get totally obliterated, even if it is slower (though I can't imagine that sorry Camry getting many car lengths!).

Since a 5 speed can be had for $5-7k in good condition, you can throw what you like on it. A supercharger will give it 70 hp, according to the article on this site, for $3500 installed and put you at 260 HP with a weight less than some of the other midsize sedans.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:39 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by 1NICEMAX
"At this day and age where our Maximas (4th Gen specifically) can be easily considered obsolete, does it still have any potential when up against new cars these days, and is it worth the money for its potential?"
A used 4th gen 5 speed is cheap and the cars are dead reliable.

Many say you can simply "slap" (God I hate that term) a turbo, SC, or nitrous system on to the 4th gen and have an "easy" low 13/12 second car. The low 13/12 second car part is true, but getting these type of induction systems to perform is far from easy and requires a good bit of tuning and babysitting. Ask the SC guys about how often they have to change shredded belts after adding smaller pulleys, or the turbo guys with their questionable driveability and turbo hiccups, or the nitrous guys about backfires. None of these systems are perfect, but when they're running good, they're damn effective.

My focus is NA mods and I think with the right blend of NA mods, you can have a pretty quick 4th gen. I'm talking low 14s/high 13s @98mph+ on street legal tires with a good launch and friendly track. Sure low 14s/high 13s aren't terribly impressive, but name me how many cars can claim those numbers? I'd bet a majority of them have RWD, V8s, turbos, and/or cost $25K+. There's something to be said about a sport/luxury entry level sedan being able to go low 14s, especially when that sedan's platform is nearly 10 years old. All it takes to get low 14s is a 5 speed, y-pipe, JWT ECU, MEVI, and intake. If you want to be even quicker then consider drag radials and maybe an exhaust.

Handling wise, the stock 4th gen isn't great, but it's not bad either. It's stock handling numbers are ~.83 g's skidpad and 66mph thru the slalom. Those aren't bad numbers. Install some quality springs, adjustable struts, and sticky 16/17 tires and you'll be looking at .88-.90 g's and 69+mph thru the slalom which is performance car territory. The steering and handling traits of the 4th gen aren't spectacular, but they get the job done.

Quality and interior wise, the 4th gen is able to hold it's own in signficantly higher classes of automobiles. The interior of the 4th gen is a simple and timeless design. The interior is roomy and the car is put together very well.

Visually, the 4th gen is a bit plain, but with the right wheels, springs and possibly a bodykit, the 4th gens appearance goes from ho-hum to sporty and very clean.

Nearly 10 year old sedan pulling low 14s and handling like a AMG Benz all for the price of around $9K is hardly what I can obsolete.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by hacim105
Well I have to disagree with this. I think with all the N/A mods listed and with the right suspension and slicks you could be in the low 13's high 12's if not even quicker. Add a supercharger after that and you would be flying.
Perhaps down in Reno, but up here in Denver @ 5000+ ft., we are running the 1/4 mile anywhere from 0.7-1.0 slower than people closer to sea level.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
i30ds,

Click on this link & look at the 1/4 mile times on the right hand side of the page. http://www.fastmaxima.com/index.html

Those are Jimes 1/4 mile times with nitrous.
He has no internal engine modifications, no aftermarket ECU only a SAFC, a cold air intake, exhaust & a basically stock transmission. And those times I beleived are with a 150hp nitrous shot. I'm pretty sure thats the original motor & trans too. If you ask him, he will give you the low down on it.

Basically he's running low 12's on a 150hp shot. And I think his 5th gen max has broke into the 11's on a 200hp shot. But if you use nitrous correctly it will not harm your engine the way I think you think it would. Sure instantaniously dumping an additional 150hp on the motor isn't the safest thing to do, but that could easily be avoided with a progressive nitrous controller. Or simply by running a 2 stage set up.

I'm only running a 50hp shot with , HAI & cat back exhaust & have recorded mid 13's second 1/4 mile passes on street tires @ almost 4 thousand feet above sea level. If my math is correct, I have already shaved off 2 seconds over the stock 1/4 mile time. And I haven't even did any weight reduction. That was just with the spare tire & jack out of the car. But in all honesty I still had my speaker box bolted down in the trunk. So basically call it even, or slightly heavier then stock. But you still have to keep in mind I ran those times at L.A.C.R in California at way above sea level. If I even run at Pomona, closer to sea level I would probably knock off a few more tenths.

As far as dumping $7k into a max I don't have a problem with that. But if you only expect to break into the low 13's or high 12's for that amount of money, why not just go find something used & cheap that you can hook up & can be your track star? It just seems more logical to me to build something that would be alot cheaper to fix if something major brakes. Not to mention, something smaller, lighter & quicker seems like it would just be more fun to have as my toy. But thats just my opinion, I'm not trying to knock anyones ideas. I understand the coolness behind having a sleeper.
I stand corrected, but I would not dare 150 hp shot. The 50 hp shot that you are running seems more reasonable. I still fear the nos will burn the engine out.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:33 PM

that's why i don't dare run sc/tc/nos... just due to the fact that stuff can go wrong and i really don't have the money to drop another engine into it. if tuned properly things can still go wrong. good luck when you go adding nos or boost.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:15 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by Dave B
A used 4th gen 5 speed is cheap and the cars are dead reliable.

Many say you can simply "slap" (God I hate that term) a turbo, SC, or nitrous system on to the 4th gen and have an "easy" low 13/12 second car. The low 13/12 second car part is true, but getting these type of induction systems to perform is far from easy and requires a good bit of tuning and babysitting. Ask the SC guys about how often they have to change shredded belts after adding smaller pulleys, or the turbo guys with their questionable driveability and turbo hiccups, or the nitrous guys about backfires. None of these systems are perfect, but when they're running good, they're damn effective.

My focus is NA mods and I think with the right blend of NA mods, you can have a pretty quick 4th gen. I'm talking low 14s/high 13s @98mph+ on street legal tires with a good launch and friendly track. Sure low 14s/high 13s aren't terribly impressive, but name me how many cars can claim those numbers? I'd bet a majority of them have RWD, V8s, turbos, and/or cost $25K+. There's something to be said about a sport/luxury entry level sedan being able to go low 14s, especially when that sedan's platform is nearly 10 years old. All it takes to get low 14s is a 5 speed, y-pipe, JWT ECU, MEVI, and intake. If you want to be even quicker then consider drag radials and maybe an exhaust.

Handling wise, the stock 4th gen isn't great, but it's not bad either. It's stock handling numbers are ~.83 g's skidpad and 66mph thru the slalom. Those aren't bad numbers. Install some quality springs, adjustable struts, and sticky 16/17 tires and you'll be looking at .88-.90 g's and 69+mph thru the slalom which is performance car territory. The steering and handling traits of the 4th gen aren't spectacular, but they get the job done.

Quality and interior wise, the 4th gen is able to hold it's own in signficantly higher classes of automobiles. The interior of the 4th gen is a simple and timeless design. The interior is roomy and the car is put together very well.

Visually, the 4th gen is a bit plain, but with the right wheels, springs and possibly a bodykit, the 4th gens appearance goes from ho-hum to sporty and very clean.

Nearly 10 year old sedan pulling low 14s and handling like a AMG Benz all for the price of around $9K is hardly what I can obsolete.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:19 PM

Plus, you would be one of the few that has actually taken a Max to the limit! Very Rare Indeed!!

gimme a a few more months HAHAHHAAH
Old 08-24-2004, 10:03 AM

Perhaps down in Reno, but up here in Denver @ 5000+ ft., we are running the 1/4 mile anywhere from 0.7-1.0 slower than people closer to sea level.

Actually the track I've been going to is 4400' elevation. Now let me clarify I don't make those times at that track but I'm saying close to sea level those number are very possible and have been proven by people like Nealoc and Ceasar's Chariot, and they don't even have all the Mods I listed. I do plan on going to a track that is much closer to sea level and find what my times are there.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Poor Man's Max

damn do i hate thin air

Old 08-24-2004, 07:00 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by happyricefob

dave b > *