4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ES bushing creeping out of the bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 06:38 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

ES bushing creeping out of the bracket

I installed Energy Suspension front anti-roll bar bushings a few thousand miles ago. I just noticed one of the center bushings is coming out from under the mounting bracket.

Anyone want to guess whether this means I have the bracket on too tight or too loose?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:46 AM

Mine did the same. Put the stockers back in and they still seem to do it a lil as well. Might just be the way the cookie crumbles
Old 08-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mzmtg
I installed Energy Suspension front anti-roll bar bushings a few thousand miles ago. I just noticed one of the center bushings is coming out from under the mounting bracket.

Anyone want to guess whether this means I have the bracket on too tight or too loose?
Are the bushing slits facing towards or rear the car? (I dont have the manual in front of me and it was long ago since I installed mine but I believe its suppose to face the front).

Did you lube the bushings before installing them?

Also, when you installed the bushings did you jack the suspension up (via lower control arm/knuckle) while the car was on stands to simulate static ride height before tightening the bushing brackets?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by VeeQueue
Are the bushing slits facing towards or rear the car? (I dont have the manual in front of me and it was long ago since I installed mine but I believe its suppose to face the front).
Slits face the front

Did you lube the bushings before installing them?
Yes

Also, when you installed the bushings did you jack the suspension up (via lower control arm/knuckle) while the car was on stands to simulate static ride height before tightening the bushing brackets?
No, I didn't do that...
Old 08-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

So youre saying the bushings are forcing itself out of the bracket -- the lips on the side of the bushings that keeps the bushings centered beneath the brackets are physically going underneath the bracket itself???

The only thing I can think of is the tigthening procedure and the lube. If improperly lubed /wrong lube the constant twisting may force it out. The lube between the sway bar and bushing can be squeezed out and cause more friction. I remember that the diameter of the bushing ID was a bit smaller than the swaybar itself so I had to force the bracket on. However before I installed it I used a blade and put several slits on the ID of the bushings so the lube can go in the slits instead of being sqeezed out of the bushing.

Also try tightening the bracket w/ the suspension raised.

I will take a look at my bushings when I get home.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

So youre saying the bushings are forcing itself out of the bracket -- the lips on the side of the bushings that keeps the bushings centered beneath the brackets are physically going underneath the bracket itself???
Yup, that's what's going on.

I'll score the inside of the bushing when I reinstall it to try and hold some lube. I'll also look up the torque spec for the bracket instead of just going for "pretty tight."