4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

JIC, TEIN, Ground Control??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

JIC, TEIN, Ground Control??

I am ready to convert my suspension to a coilover setup. Currently I am using Tokico Blues with Sprints. I had that setup for about a year and my front struts are worthless now due to my 2" drop and the lovely inner city streets. Anyways, why are Ground Control coilovers so much cheaper than JIC's or Tein's? Are they a quality product? What kind of experiences have you had (or heard about) with these G.C.'s? I don't mind payin $1000+ for a good setup, but if I can get away with paying $400 for a similar product I would prefer it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 08-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Banned

if you want coilovers get JICs.
everything else is crap.
least thats what everyone says.
my buddy went from gc's to springs because they sucked so much.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Conecarver

GC is a sleeve type coilover and not the complete unit. You might look into the D2 also. Problem with Tein is their limited offering for the A32's. I just pulled my Progress coilovers off for maintenance and will report back after they're back on again.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Stay away from ground controls.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:56 PM

Ok thanmks guys....my next issue is who has the best price on JIC's?
Old 08-23-2004, 04:09 PM
V^___^V

JIC's is full coilovers, while GC is only the coil + springs. JIC also has great reputation and it's top quality..that's why it's more expensive than GC.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:35 PM
brotherhood of tq

we need to ban anyone else who bad mouths gc's with out owning them.... gc's dont include shocks and have less features then jic or tien. if money is no option then i say u buy jic or tien since those are complete kits. i have gc's and i love them but if my shocks go i'll buy tien.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Hooooooonda.....

You first. Who said I didn't have GCs or that I haven't installed them? They are crap for what they cost.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
VIP Maxima

guys how are the tein basic coilovers? im planning to get them. do they have dampen adjusteablity too?

Old 08-23-2004, 08:16 PM

Tein's are basic, only ride height adjustability from what I understand. I asked about them a few days ago in this thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=330673
Old 08-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Always sunny in philly

I gotta agree w/dave. I had gc's installed w/ tokico blues and tried them w/kyb agx's, and it is the harshest ride i've ever experienced. I've heard a lot of good news about the JIC's

Hey maximabebe, how's everything goin' w/work? hope you're not bustin' your **** too much.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:16 PM
SLOW

GCs are stiff as hell, they are nice on the race track but for street driving unless you live in an area with perfect roads, they get real annoying real quick. I've got GCs and AGXs and I will be replacing them as soon as I have the money for Tein Basics, I'm going to check out the D2s as well because I wasn't aware D2 had an A32 application.

BTW you CAN specify any spring rate you want if you buy directly from ground control, which would eliminate many of the complaints about them. It's not that they aren't a well made product, they are just simply stiff as hell with the default spring rates.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:48 PM
brotherhood of tq

i guess me and nealoc have the same setup. must either be that im younger and willing to put up with a firmer ride or i have better roads here in jersey. everyone and i mean every other maxima guy that i meet that rides in my car has nothin but great things to say about them. people talk about them like they are some kinda crappy product just cause its stiffer then stock springs. my car would out handle any of my friends maximas that have regular lowering springs. im not saying for u to buy something cause i said so but y skimp on handling for a softer ride.

ohh and i didnt mention anyone by name who should get banned, just that people tend to bad mouth a product just cause someone else says they dont like it.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:49 PM

Anyone have any reviews on the cattman 3rd gen coilovers/(progress setup)?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:02 PM

ok, i think i will be going for the basic tein set up. if it rides like stock, i will go for it.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:07 AM

Welcome to the Maxima world, everyone heard from their brother's best friend's sister that xx part sucks and now they're telling the world about it.

I have the GC's with AGX's and the ride isn't great, but the handling works for me. I may get JIC's, but it's kind of pricey and I have a lot of other projects going on with the car.

Now that D2's are an option, I probably would recommend those if they ride well. The price would be comparable to GC's and AGX's and they are a true coilover.

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
i guess me and nealoc have the same setup. must either be that im younger and willing to put up with a firmer ride or i have better roads here in jersey. everyone and i mean every other maxima guy that i meet that rides in my car has nothin but great things to say about them. people talk about them like they are some kinda crappy product just cause its stiffer then stock springs. my car would out handle any of my friends maximas that have regular lowering springs. im not saying for u to buy something cause i said so but y skimp on handling for a softer ride.

ohh and i didnt mention anyone by name who should get banned, just that people tend to bad mouth a product just cause someone else says they dont like it.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:07 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
ok, i think i will be going for the basic tein set up. if it rides like stock, i will go for it.

well they aren't going to ride like stock that i can guarantee you... the spring rates (spring stiffness) on tein basics are almost identical to the ground controls (390 front 340 rear as compared to 400 front 350 rear for the GCs) so judging from that they should be pretty stiff, that said they will provide a better ride i am sure because the damper rates will be specifically matched to the spring rates, and they will have much more suspension travel than do the GCs, which is one of my main complaints with GCs, even with my bumpstops cut to 1/4 of their original size is still bang the bumpstops pretty often.

on smooth pavement, very stiff suspension is lovely, it results in improved roadholding ability, so if you live in an area that has very very nice roads and you never see large bumps, rough train tracks, etc, you would be fine with any stiff/low setup. but if you live in the northeast or midwest or anywhere that has roads that look like they havent been repaved in 30 years and have potholes the size of small houses and train tracks which look like the himalayas, you need to be aware that you are going to be in for a rough ride some of the time.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
well they aren't going to ride like stock that i can guarantee you... the spring rates (spring stiffness) on tein basics are almost identical to the ground controls (390 front 340 rear as compared to 400 front 350 rear for the GCs) so judging from that they should be pretty stiff, that said they will provide a better ride i am sure because the damper rates will be specifically matched to the spring rates, and they will have much more suspension travel than do the GCs, which is one of my main complaints with GCs, even with my bumpstops cut to 1/4 of their original size is still bang the bumpstops pretty often.

on smooth pavement, very stiff suspension is lovely, it results in improved roadholding ability, so if you live in an area that has very very nice roads and you never see large bumps, rough train tracks, etc, you would be fine with any stiff/low setup. but if you live in the northeast or midwest or anywhere that has roads that look like they havent been repaved in 30 years and have potholes the size of small houses and train tracks which look like the himalayas, you need to be aware that you are going to be in for a rough ride some of the time.
do you know if the basic tein suspension will ride better then mine?
right now im running on agx's with tein-s tech springs. if you do, let me know, if not, does anybody know?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Administrator

I have JIC's
Old 08-25-2004, 11:30 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
do you know if the basic tein suspension will ride better then mine?
right now im running on agx's with tein-s tech springs. if you do, let me know, if not, does anybody know?

tein basics are 390lb front and 340lb rear, s-techs are 200 front and 280 rear, so the front is about 2 times as stiff as the stech, and the rear is about 21% stiffer. they will be a stiffer ride. much stiffer in the front, a bit stiffer in the rear.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:21 PM

tein basics are 390lb front and 340lb rear, s-techs are 200 front and 280 rear, so the front is about 2 times as stiff as the stech, and the rear is about 21% stiffer. they will be a stiffer ride. much stiffer in the front, a bit stiffer in the rear.
huhmm....really trying to decide if i should go for it or not.
the set up i have right now, seems to be bouncy at certain times.
i know the shocks are still good, not blown. and if i sit 2-3 peeps in the backseat, rear sags, and i dont like that. i guess i might go for the teins.
thanx for the heads up nealoc.

does anyone know where i can get the best price for them?
or does anyone have hookups on them?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Sorry for the Q, but which coilovers have the different sets of springs you can buy separately with different spring rates?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:01 PM
SLOW

you can specify the spring rates you want on any of these coilovers if you get them from the company themselves, but if you get them through a groupdeal or a normal vendor, you might not be able to specify the rate you want because they would probably just be sending you the set they already have in stock

maximus there is a group deal right now in the GD forum that has the tein basics for $808 i think.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:22 PM

you can specify the spring rates you want on any of these coilovers if you get them from the company themselves, but if you get them through a groupdeal or a normal vendor, you might not be able to specify the rate you want because they would probably just be sending you the set they already have in stock

maximus there is a group deal right now in the GD forum that has the tein basics for $808 i think.

OOohoHhhOhh sweet! i will check it out right now!!!! thanx for the heads up.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:01 PM

hey nealoc, any ideas on how good the D2 coilover kit is?