4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Attn danie martin

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 12:42 PM

I have a question for you and other Maxima pro's

I have noticed that my 97 GLE maxima drive axle is leaking oil and mechanic said it must be replaced, he quoted me $800 to replace it with refurbished axle. car has 40k miles now so the question is that can it be replaced under nissan 60k power train warranty? or power train is only for engine and tranny?

Also let me know price of replacing drive axle or its called rack axle? you know in front rack where 2 wheels mount, I am not good with car terms.

If $800 is too much, then what is real price for this kind of work?

let me know as much of info if possible.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2001, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by cooler2000
I have a question for you and other Maxima pro's

I have noticed that my 97 GLE maxima drive axle is leaking oil and mechanic said it must be replaced, he quoted me $800 to replace it with refurbished axle. car has 40k miles now so the question is that can it be replaced under nissan 60k power train warranty? or power train is only for engine and tranny?

Also let me know price of replacing drive axle or its called rack axle? you know in front rack where 2 wheels mount, I am not good with car terms.

If $800 is too much, then what is real price for this kind of work?

let me know as much of info if possible.

Thanks!
You addressed this post to me "or other Nissan pro's". I want to make it clear that I am a D-I-Y mechanic. D-I-Y means Do-It-Yourself. In other words, I am a hobbyist, an amateur, a shade-tree mechanic.

The drive axles are covered by the 60 month/ 60K mile powertrain warranty. However, the coverage is limited to defects in materials or workmanship. Damage due to accidents and road hazards are the owner's responsibility. If the Constant Velocity joints in your drive axles are shot, the dealer will have to determine the reason. If the protective rubber boots are cut or torn, that is road hazard damage and is not covered.

Your Maxima has two drive axles. Your post did not provide enough detail to know if you need one or two replacements. An independent shop may replace drive axles, parts and labor, for US$200-US$300 each. This gets you a remanufactured driveshaft. A Nissan dealer using new parts would charge considerably more. Labor rates vary by location, and are generally higher in urban areas.
Old 04-07-2001, 02:57 PM

Oil or grease

Thanks!
Are you leaking transmission fluid or is it CV grease. This makes a big difference is cost and whether or not what needs replacing.
Old 04-07-2001, 10:30 PM

Re: Oil or grease

Originally posted by dch95

Are you leaking transmission fluid or is it CV grease. This makes a big difference is cost and whether or not what needs replacing.
It leaks drive oil you know that one red color and its small one like 10-15 dropps. mechanic said its drive axle and costs $800 to replace, so it is covered by nissan 60k miles power warranty? i need to know it before i go to dealers to fight regarding this issue.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2001, 08:42 AM

Red or black

It leaks drive oil you know that one red color and its small one like 10-15 dropps. mechanic said its drive axle and costs $800 to replace, so it is covered by nissan 60k miles power warranty? i need to know it before i go to dealers to fight regarding this issue.

Thanks!
Red oil, as opposed to black grease, is probably Automatic Transmission Fluid. This may be coming from a leak in the automatic transmission or the power steering unit. The next step is to raise the car and clean the underside... then drive normally and check every day to identify the leak site. You can do this yourself if you have a good floor jack, a pair of sturdy jackstands, a can of WD-40, and lots of clean rags.

Your question about powertrain warranty cannot be answered until the source of the leak is known with certainty.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:27 AM

Re: Red or black

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Red oil, as opposed to black grease, is probably Automatic Transmission Fluid. This may be coming from a leak in the automatic transmission or the power steering unit. The next step is to raise the car and clean the underside... then drive normally and check every day to identify the leak site. You can do this yourself if you have a good floor jack, a pair of sturdy jackstands, a can of WD-40, and lots of clean rags.

Your question about powertrain warranty cannot be answered until the source of the leak is known with certainty.
I have done a lot of inspection on that one and lek is not from tranny its for 100%, its from power sterring axle, i can see it leaking from there, other parts dry no leakages.
so power stering axle is covered by 60k miles warranty?
Old 04-10-2001, 10:39 AM

Terminology

I have done a lot of inspection on that one and lek is not from tranny its for 100%, its from power sterring axle, i can see it leaking from there, other parts dry no leakages.
so power stering axle is covered by 60k miles warranty?
I must ask you to be more specific. Your car has two drive axles. Your car has a power steering pump, and a rack-and-pinion steering gear. There is no part called a "power steering axle". Find out the correct name for the part that is leaking and post it here.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:35 PM

Re: Terminology

I must ask you to be more specific. Your car has two drive axles. Your car has a power steering pump, and a rack-and-pinion steering gear. There is no part called a "power steering axle". Find out the correct name for the part that is leaking and post it here.
Sorry for my bad car terms!!!!!!!!!! the correct part as you said is rack-and-pinion steering gear, it looks like a stick on which my front wheel are mounted. Car shop wants $800 for replacement with labor. Does rack-and-pinion steering gear covered by 60k miles warranty?
Old 04-10-2001, 02:41 PM

Warranty coverage

... Does rack-and-pinion steering gear covered by 60k miles warranty?
Unfortunately, no.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:44 PM

Re: Warranty coverage

Unfortunately, no.
Last question, is $800 fair price asked by mechanic or it could be found for better price? I am from NYC so if you know good places who can do this kind of work let me know. Also if you know what is fair price for this kind of work this info would be appreciated too.
Old 04-10-2001, 03:08 PM

Rough estimate

Last question, is $800 fair price asked by mechanic or it could be found for better price? I am from NYC so if you know good places who can do this kind of work let me know. Also if you know what is fair price for this kind of work this info would be appreciated too.
I am reluctant to offer an opinion on repair prices. Your best bet is to
get several other quotes from local shops. A shop in my town might do the
work for less, but that is of small help to you if you live 600 miles away.

Labor rates vary from place to place. In general, they are higher in urban
areas and lower in rural areas. Parts costs vary too. Aftermarket parts
are usually less expensive than genuine Nissan parts.

Maxima.org has many members in the NYC area.
Perhaps one of them will offer a repair shop recommendation.

PartsAmerica.com lists a remanufactured rack & pinion assembly, Cardone #26-3006, for $251 + shipping. I'll guess the labor to be 3 hours. Figuring $265 for the part, another $10 for fluid, and 3 hours of labor @ $60/hour, that works out to $455.