4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New to site with newly acquired 95 Se and a few ?'s...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 07:42 PM

New to site with newly acquired 95 Se and a few ?'s...

I just picked up a nice 95 Se (white with tan leather). I have noticed a few problems and I'm hoping someone will have some insight.

First off, my cruise doesn't work (drove it home on a 7 hour trip after getting it w/o cruise...kind of sucked). I hit the button and the light on the on/off switch doesn't come on. Is there a fuse somewhere hidden? I can't find one marked/labeled.

Then my pass side front speaker doesn't work. Probably fix this myself...I'm going to switch in another CD player and I'll trouble shoot then. BTW, it's an aftermarket Alpine head unit and the driver side and rear work fine.

Next is a fog light. Can't find in the owners manual what bulb to use. Is it an H3 or something?

I also have some suspension issues. There is a vibration around 70ish and the alignment is off. It needs 2 new tires and I'll have the other 2 balanced and the alignment done. But the other issue is some shock knock type noise. I hit a bump and it sounds like someone is knocking on my car. Is this normal for maxes?

That's all I can think of though. I really like the car! Hopefully it will server me well for a few years...
Old 08-29-2004, 07:49 PM

I love newbies.. lol.. Welcome to the .org dude..
Old 08-29-2004, 07:49 PM

well my cruise control doesnt work either, but hey im 5 speed so Im pretty happy to be incontrol of the car. So I dont know it may just be a bad switch? Another thing did your car come with bose? if so then that might be your problem of why the speakers may or may not work at times. Again im not 100% sure but ive heard of some stories of people having a alpine head unit with bose and it messes up. Happend to the benz I had for 2 months. Had alpine head unit and the speakers were bose, everything was messing up.. Blubs just call up any nissan dealership and they will tell you, As for your supension, get new tires, balance them and do an alignment. Good time to check out those shocks and springs. If the bounce gets out of control that means your in need of shocks. Again im not 100% sure on everything but have an idea of if it that.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:24 AM

You're not just hitting the cruise button on the steering coulmn lever right? There is a on/off switch on the dashboard just to the left of the steering column. If that isn't working I have no idea because mine works

The foglight (if you have your owners manual chapter7 shows all the bulbs with types & wattages and diagrams of how to replace them) is a H3 55w

Personally I still have the stock stereo which I like a lot and changed all my speakers, and cut holes in the rear deck to fit 6x9's

And what kind of sound does your suspension make exactly? When i hit holes and stuff i get this sound ... kinda like if your tire hits a small puddle; i dunno its weird but it's always done it
Old 08-30-2004, 07:34 AM

It's the Cruise on/off switch that doesn't work. I don't ever get the chance to use the ones on the steering wheel since the cruise doesn't switch on...

As for the suspension noise, I've noticed that the front driver side is worse than the rest. I'll have to get under there and take a closer look to see if anything is worn out. Some records show the shocks where last replaced in 2000 I believe so it could be time for some new ones (I hear some lowering springs and shocks calling me...nothing more than an inch or 2 at most though...Daily Driver here!).

I'm also having some noises when I turn (and I'm getting bad torque steer while getting on it). I think that something is either worn or loose in the suspension and/or steering. It seems to have a mind of it's own. It's subtle but some times it will pull in different directions primarily when I'm accelerating. Any typical things that go bad on Suspension or steering (like the rack getting worn and moving or something?).

And yes, I'm a noob! Some of these questions may seem basic but this is the first max I've ever owned. Now if I had these problems on my Lude, I'd know a whole bunch of stuff to look for. Now, I'll be applying the same thing when possible to the Max. I'm just looking for things that are specific to Maxes that I'd never had experienced in my lude (like the steering/alignment issues...my lude goes where I point it and if I don't point it, it goes straight!)...

Also, since we can't search, it makes it hard to trouble shoot... :roll:
Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 AM

yea... that torque steer will get ya. get used to it and hold on

at least you didnt drive a WRX STi for 8 hours last week to maine and get used to driving a 300hp turbo/awd supercar ... when I got home and got in my car I felt like someone had ripped its heart out while i was gone. now i'm seriously debating doing something drastic to make it go faster ...

damn nice cars, never drive them!!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:50 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

the tires may need to be rotated that can help torque steer issues, if the tires are of different brands that can affect you as well. also check into all of the suspension bushings and mounts those may need to be replaced or lubed.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daily Interlude
Also, since we can't search, it makes it hard to trouble shoot... :roll:
who said you can't search?
Old 08-30-2004, 04:10 PM

The site tells me :roll:

Old 08-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hmm... my cruise no longer works now either on my 95.
The switch on the dash lights up but the controls on the steering wheel no longer respond. Is it possible for the cruise light to go on but still not work to activate the functionality?
Old 08-30-2004, 04:56 PM

"It's the Cruise on/off switch that doesn't work. I don't ever get the chance to use the ones on the steering wheel since the cruise doesn't switch on..."

You have to set the switch to "on" at the dash, no light will come on at this point. Then set it at your steering wheel, only then will the cruise light appear on your instrument panel (if it's not burned out). I've always thought it wierd that when you switch the unit on at the dash there is no indication it is "armed".

Regarding struts.... if you are getting a knocking sound and nothing appears loose, then I'm guessing your strut is toast.

Yes you are correct your fog light is H3, welcome to an excellent forum good luck and enjoy
Old 08-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daily Interlude
The site tells me :roll:

Old 08-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Well that's weird MAXRB8, my cruise dash light turns on and is "armed" when you push it along with the instrument panel light...
Old 08-30-2004, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by SlackR237
Well that's weird MAXRB8, my cruise dash light turns on and is "armed" when you push it along with the instrument panel light...

Hmm, maybe 96 they realized they needed to do this, course we'd better check with CHUCKIE311 and make sure it's not another fart problem!
Old 08-31-2004, 06:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Normally, when you press the cruse control 'On/Off' button and turn it 'On' it will light up. The light behind it seems to be a little fragile, because mine doesn't light up either (it used to).

But...cruse control still works regardless of the light working (its still a button). Did you try turning it to 'On', and then trying to use the cruse control buttons on the steering wheel? I would just ignore the fact that the light is busted, and see if it works at all.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:39 AM

I've tried it...many times during my 7 hour trip back.

As for the shock knock, I think I know what the deal is. Apparently the bolt that holds the shock to the upper mount (holding the spring in place) is stripped or something. It's only about 1/3 fastened and I'd imagine that this is allowing the shock to "bump" around since it's loose. I tried to unbolt it but the whole shock shaft is moving with it. I tried to loosen the other side's bolt and it did w/o a problem so I assume that this one is stripped or something. I'm going to try to find something that I can use to pad the shaft to hold it with some vice grips while loosening again. If I can't get it off, I'd hate to think that I'd have to replace the shock after cutting it off...

BTW, the front shocks say GR2 replacements. Anyone know if this is the regular KYB GR2's?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
Did I miss something? YOu quoted my error message but didn't say anything...
Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You may want to take out the button and test it to make sure that it is still working.

ps I think "......................." means that the message has the answer
Old 09-01-2004, 06:14 AM

OK, fixed the knock problem. It was the upper shock mount. The rubber came out the mount. $40 from Autozone and I'm good to go again.

Still no cruise. How could I test the button with it out? I'd imagine I'd need a multimeter, huh?

Is there an online service manual (There's one available for my 91 Prelude in PDF version...that's why I ask)? I have a haynes but a factory manual would be awesome...
Old 09-01-2004, 07:06 AM

was the knocking sound sort of vibrating through the gas pedal when you hit bumps? I've been having that problem for a while and the org couldunt figure it out. If so, I guess I have to get to my shock mounts.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:53 AM

Cruise control. look under the hood and check if all the connections are intact. Maybe the harness came off.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:16 AM

My knock was mainly through the body of the whole car (no special vibrations).

I'd say vibrations through the gas pedal might be CV's or bad engine mounts. Does your engine move a lot while revving (like in park with hood up and you rev by moving the throttle rotor)?

I'll check the engine bay area for anything unconnected or even loose connections. Where is the cruise control unit?
Old 09-01-2004, 11:21 AM
VIP

Have a mechanic check it?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:24 PM

I'd rather avoid the ripping they'd give me via the bill...

It's not imperative that I get it fixed...just nice to have it...
Old 09-01-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

take it to a mechanic that wont charge to diagnose it. the one by me checked out my car for free. gave me an estimate of 500 to change 2 injectors and replace y-pipe with out the price of parts. crazy. $160 for y-pipe and $85 per Injector. 170+160 = Total Cost For Me $330 saved $500