4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

first time modding, 95 maxima, asking for help :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:39 AM

first time modding, 95 maxima, asking for help :)

hey, first time here, and first time attempt at modding. real noob here, so obviously i have never attempted modding and, well. . . barely know about cars. .

im alreayd beginning to love this site, read some faqs and stuff, recommended by THT at automotiveforums.com, good place

well anyways, i have a 95 maxima, white, in extremely excellent condition. . well, it's not really mine, it's my mom's, but i'll get it in the next week or so, after i get my license. but anyways, i want to mod it. first things im planning to mod, are the looks: full body kit (front, side skirts, and rear), spoiler, tail lights, i would change the head lights, but i don't seem to find any headlights for a 95 maxima. . help? , gauges (halo most probably), muffler, and ofcourse the rims. and that's about it, did i miss anything? wht im looking for are good sites where i can get cheap merchandise. . im giong to have a look around too. i have looked at ebay, and am plannind to spend a max of 1500 to 2000. . if that's lil cash, then i'll let the gauges, and spoiler slip. . .
i had a look at customaxima.com, and really liked the dual exhaust sytem, and the skyline body kit w/ dual exhaust back, but it's too much rite now, i checked ebay, but they have a different skyline body kit on there for almost half the price.
so any suggestions. . .

-thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Since you seem like the kind of guy who wants to look fast instead of going fast, I can't help you.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:51 AM

my maxima runs good already so no need for performance yet, maybe let when i have the mula but for now, it's looks all the way. and it's not like im going to be racing anyone, no skillz

anyone else? and, oh yea, are there any websites where i can compare prices on like body kits, and exhausts and etc etc etc . . .

-thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 09:04 AM

Sorry dude but to be honest.....most people like you aren't really appreciated on the .org. I learned this from past threads. Most people here hate rice and everything about rice. Personally, I don't care what u do as long as you like it. That's all that matters.

Maybe you should consider getting the basic bolt-ons first so you don't get flamed too bad on here. intake, ypipe, and rear sway bar at least. With those three mods your max will perform much much better than stock.

But if the stock performance of the max(are you 5speed or auto?) fits your needs than I can understand how you wants better looks.

I don't mean to flame I'm just speaking from past experiences on the .org. I'm just giving my opinion. good luck.

-Paul
Old 08-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

You want some advice? Reconsider your plans.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

The question that comes to mind is, why do exhaust if you are not going for performance? That (the muffler) is the LEAST restrictive part of the stock exhaust. If you want to body kit, do that. Then worry abotu other visual stuff.

To make the BIGGEST visual impact on a 95 maxime, yo uneed to invest in a good suspension setup. Most likely, this will run you $5-600 for springs, struts, and misc parts.

On top of that, another few hundred to several thousand dollars can be spent on rims, depending on what you like.

Your best bet to change your car's looks, ride, and performance is suspension. After that, body kit or rims come to mind- but only one will improve looks and performance. A body kit is a liability, hwere I live...
Old 08-30-2004, 09:11 AM
THT
Throbbing member

aw c'mon guys, to each their own. Yeah, I personally don't go for the appearance stuff but I'm not gonna brush a person off if they choose to.

As far as bodykits are concerned, I'm a fan of the Stillen Aero kit; it's not cheap but it's a kit fitting of the Maxima conservative look yet stylish). I hear the fitment is top-notch too. If you want to do something about your headlights, I suggest converting to the 9007 bulb as you'll get a much better light pattern. There're some guys here who have fit HIDs in their 4th gens; PM them to see what all they did.

~THT
Old 08-30-2004, 09:32 AM

I am with mzmtg....I cannot offer much help if you are not wanting at least some more performance. It makes your car tons more fun, because with "look good" mods, you can only seen them when you get in the car and out of it. While you are driving, you cannot not really appreciate the money you have put into it.
However, with performance mods, it just makes the car more fun to drive all the time. That, you can enjoy, whether you are just running down the road to get something from the store, or you are at the track racing someone having a blast.

That is my opinion.

You can obviously do what you want....and I will not flame you for doing it. It is not my money.

Otherwise, I would listen to phenryiv1, because the dude knows what he is talking about with suspension and wheels. Those were good suggestions.

BTW, phenryiv1, I see you know are trying ou the Falken Ziex 512's on your BBS wheels(from your sig.). How do you like them? I got the Ziex Sports with that really progressive tire tread(like a crotch rocket bike), but I don't expect them to last too long. I will probably go with the 512'a next, and hope they last a little longer.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dont' blow the money on being a riceboy, do somethign tasteful and classy.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:40 AM

rice? lol, c'mon guys, everyone is unique, i like the way the maxima is performing rite now, but if i have to change wht i want in order to get good advice, why not, it's not hurthing me, it's not like i'll be modding it any time soon, it'll take me some time, a month or two, but anyways, you want me to get some performance upgrades, so let's talk that, then we can move on to body kits and wht not

so the y-pipe i have heard, read it in the faqs, it improves performance, 15 - 20 hp's. first question, wht's a y-pipe? wht part of the exhaust is it, and is it included in those dual exhausts. . .
then i mite get an intake, they have some on ebay, but any suggestions would be more than appreciated
sway bars, they give better stability rite? does it matter which one i get?

and the exhaust, i like the dual exhaust, and i want to eventually get that, but to get that i need a body kit that supports that, dual exhaust back. but if i get a body that supports dual exhaust, and not have dual exhuast, it's not goin to look pretty, so im going to get them both together, after, AFTER i get some performance upgrades, lol

and maybe, MAYBE we'll carry on to body kits and spoilers, etc without any major flame wars just want some good advice, (im) moving into unchartered territory (at least for me), didn't meant any harm, good advice is all im looking for

-thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 AM

got work, post back later and talk about em suspensions
Old 08-30-2004, 09:50 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

As everyone has said earlier I'd beef up the engine first and then follow up with the looks dept but that's entirely up to you. My philosophy is you'll gotta have the Go to go with the Show.

As for the Y-pipe its the piping between the headers and the catalytic converter. The stock pipe has pre-cats on it that allow for cleaner emission upon startup when the engine is cold but it constricts the airflow. Start with that mod first.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:02 AM

so get a new catalytic converter? somthing like this:
http://customaxima.com/viewer/shop/t.../vts/design004
i want to get this eventually:
but wht else do i need? do i need a new catalytic converter, and y pipe? and wht is the B pipe, and wht does it do? wht will the y-pipe actaully do? and ummmmm. . . this mite be a dumb question to you all, but wht's emission? i think i have a rough idea, but would like to hear from y'all. wht else. . . anything else? anything else?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:04 AM

Maybe you should have purchased a Civic.

Got RICE?

Proph
Old 08-30-2004, 10:06 AM

found wht catalytic convrerters do on google, but now, if i add a new one, how will this effect my emision? don't want to fail it now . . .

i would have gotten a civic, but it's my mom's maxima, can't sill it, asked her, and she said no. . . so im stuck with a maxima and anyways, why are you recommending civic when the .org is based on maxima, you should be flammed!!! :P jk jk jk
Old 08-30-2004, 10:12 AM

I cant belive what im reading.
OK. yah go dump all your money into performance parts for your maxima and get what 1-2 second in a quarter mile?? HAHA.

Deadman.inc
I think what you need to do first is get a suspension setup. You said you wanted a bodykit & rims....well from what ive seen it looks pretty dumb if u dont have a lowered suspension setup.....youll have a huge wheelgap. After you get the suspension you get the Kit, Rims, ect....

Pay no mind to the folks in this post. They arent as open-minded as me. Its great to have a variety of ppl and maximas. Even if your intentions are to go fast or look good.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 AM

i jsut got a max and i bought
FSTB
stillen rear sway bar
gr2 front/rear
cai
y pipe
2x cv shaft
knock sensor

and i still need a new bumper/hood from previous owner fender bender
and i dont have airbags either, and my ac and clock dont work, but who needs all that right?? hehe

waiting to get 1k for a ecu and mevi

so when u pull up in your decked out max w/ body kit and rims , u get smoky

nah but do what makes u happy
Old 08-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by deadman.inc
found wht catalytic convrerters do on google, but now, if i add a new one, how will this effect my emision? don't want to fail it now . . .
No, what BlackCat was saying is that the stock Ypipe- which you asked about- has restrictive PRE-Cats that are eliminated when yo ugo with an aftermarket y-pipe. You can leave the cat (and everything behind it) stock. It will not affect your emissions enough to fail it. Where do you live?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:17 AM

so get a new catalytic converter? somthing like this:
i want to get this eventually:
but wht else do i need? do i need a new catalytic converter, and y pipe? and wht is the B pipe, and wht does it do? wht will the y-pipe actaully do? and ummmmm. . . this mite be a dumb question to you all, but wht's emission? i think i have a rough idea, but would like to hear from y'all. wht else. . . anything else? anything else?

Dont bother with the exhaust system if everything is OK. If its not broken dont fix it. All of the items you listed are performance modifications that supposedly make you go faster. Like i said before start with a suspension package then work on the items you listed in the original message.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by VQvroom
I cant belive what im reading.
OK. yah go dump all your money into performance parts for your maxima and get what 1-2 second in a quarter mile?? HAHA.

Deadman.inc
I think what you need to do first is get a suspension setup. You said you wanted a bodykit & rims....well from what ive seen it looks pretty dumb if u dont have a lowered suspension setup.....youll have a huge wheelgap. After you get the suspension you get the Kit, Rims, ect....

Pay no mind to the folks in this post. They arent as open-minded as me. Its great to have a variety of ppl and maximas. Even if your intentions are to go fast or look good.
First off, try making sense. Your first sentence is entirely pointless.

Second, the people that you are criticizing have about 20,000 posts on here- literally. You have 284. Do you think that you know more than all of the rest of us?

I happen to agree with you that a body kit and rims look retarded w/o a suspension setup, but that is besode the point. I already said that, anyway.

Criticizing those who advocate performance upgrades is a bit brave on this site. You might want to think next time before you speak.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:23 AM

lol, thanks vqvroom, appreciate it. do mods close threads that have hints of flame wars in 'em. i love moding and building comps aswell, i joined pcmech.com, any sighns of flamewars on ther, they close the thread, very very strict there, but ppl on there are awesome . im open minded, i have never done this before, and, well, as i said, im moving into unchartered territory. phen also recommended some good suspensions, i want to build up, not buy everything at the same time, too expensive!!! but at the same time, the things i buy, i want them to look good too. the color white has to go, i absolutely dont' like that color on cars. . . so i'll need a good paoint job, btw, can i do it myself? i have a car wash garage thingie in the complex, so i guess i could do it ther, if i can do it, black is wht im looking for. . .

-thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 10:23 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Here's a write-up on the Budget Y-pipe:

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/519
Old 08-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

If you are HELL BENT on a body kit, try getting just the front and sides first, and a drop. You can always add the rear later, once you decide on your rear duals :rolleyes or standard exhaust.

If you want rear duals just for the look of it, we can't really help you. They actually provide little or no performance benefit- possibly a detriment, due to increased weight.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

the color white has to go, i absolutely dont' like that color on cars. . . so i'll need a good paoint job, btw, can i do it myself? i have a car wash garage thingie in the complex, so i guess i could do it ther, if i can do it, black is wht im looking for. . .
-thanks
White to black transition is very difficult, and not for a novice to try. Well, you can try, but it is not likely to turn out well.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

got work, post back later and talk about em suspensions
What do you want to know about suspensions? Of all od my mods, this was by far the BEST one. It enhances looks AND performance, makes the car safer, and is generally the most popular mod for a max. I made the mistake of doing rims first, and I wish I had done my suspension. It changes the whole car. The only thing more important is good tires.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
First off, try making sense. Your first sentence is entirely pointless.

Second, the people that you are criticizing have about 20,000 posts on here- literally. You have 284. Do you think that you know more than all of the rest of us?

I happen to agree with you that a body kit and rims look retarded w/o a suspension setup, but that is besode the point. I already said that, anyway.

Criticizing those who advocate performance upgrades is a bit brave on this site. You might want to think next time before you speak.

Hi,
First, yah my point was the maxima isnt really to 1st goto car if your looking to go fast dollar for dollar. So the comments about Fast 1st Looks 2nd didnt make alot of sense to me.

Second, no I dont think I know more than "you/us". Where did this come from?

I didnt see your post about the suspension, ill read through the post and look for it. Sorry I suggested it again.

Sorry im not the typical person on this forum. I only criticized the comments in this thread, the comments in response to someone looking for HELP.

Im lost for words on the think before you speak comment, I dont really want to start an arguement.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
You can obviously do what you want....and I will not flame you for doing it. It is not my money.

Otherwise, I would listen to phenryiv1, because the dude knows what he is talking about with suspension and wheels. Those were good suggestions.

BTW, phenryiv1, I see you know are trying ou the Falken Ziex 512's on your BBS wheels(from your sig.). How do you like them? I got the Ziex Sports with that really progressive tire tread(like a crotch rocket bike), but I don't expect them to last too long. I will probably go with the 512'a next, and hope they last a little longer.
Thanks for the compliment.

About the 512s, I love them. I got a killer deal on them, and they grip well, ride well, are fairly quiet (not silent, but fairly quiet). I am very happy with them, and woud recommend them to anyon wanting a high-value tire that performs at a 9-out-of-10 level for a mid-level price.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:34 AM

guys guys calm down, lol, i post a reply, and have two more to look at when my reply is done loading, i appreciate you all helping me but les dont' start a flame war, lol. anways, suspensions first! and that's that, then we go on. after that, i want to know wht phen is saying, leave the cat and y-pipe stock? or change it? jus a lil confused.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by VQvroom
Hi,
First, yah my point was the maxima isnt really to 1st goto car if your looking to go fast dollar for dollar. So the comments about Fast 1st Looks 2nd didnt make alot of sense to me.

Second, no I dont think I know more than "you/us". Where did this come from?

I didnt see your post about the suspension, ill read through the post and look for it. Sorry I suggested it again.

Sorry im not the typical person on this forum. I only criticized the comments in this thread, the comments in response to someone looking for HELP.

Im lost for words on the think before you speak comment, I dont really want to start an arguement.
What I was saying was that you belittled those of us who did performance mods for what I best interpret you to have meant as a gain of 1-2 seconds in the 1/4. First, that is a lot of time to gain. Second, it does not cost a lot to do basic I/Y/B mods to drop ETs a second or so.

You criticized those of us who have done those mods, even though all of my performance mods cost less- combined- than does a body kit, even unpainted. I was trying to point out that you were brazen in criticizing the aspirations of several of us- myself included- who have done performance mods. I was not trying to start an argueement, and I don't think that you were either. But before you criticize those of us who posted advocating performance mods, think abotu who it is that you are criticizing. (BTW, that was where I was going with my "think before you speak" comment- I meant no disrespect.)

Like I said, we are on the same page with the suspension issue. Re-suggesting it as an option for him was not a bad idea- it serves to reinforce it as an option for him.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:38 AM

lol see wht i mean, got thru loading one reply, had like five of em to read, lol. no complaints tho
i live in duluth, GA, it's like northeast of ATL
Old 08-30-2004, 10:41 AM

If looks are what you going for, then I would suggest the following:
- Get smoked clear bumper lights (your front blinkers)
- Do the AE mod to your headlights (I belive it's in the how-to's)
- Either red out your tails (tape or paint), or smoke the tails (top half, blinkers and reverse).

Those simple mods should be pretty cheap, and you can save up your money for spinner rims.

Good luck, read the stickies, and welcome to the .org
Old 08-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

anways, suspensions first! and that's that, then we go on. after that, i want to know wht phen is saying, leave the cat and y-pipe stock? or change it? jus a lil confused.
Not trying to sound like a d!ck here, but PLEASE try to use proper capitalization, punctuation, and spacing. Your replies are REALLY hard to read.

Anyway, I am saying CHANGE your y-pipe (eliminating the restrictive pre-cats) but LEAVE the stock catalytic converter in place.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:45 AM

don't like spinners, too fancy for me, well actually not. i would have gotten them for a hummer or a big SUV, but as i have a small maxima, spinners. . . not for a maxima. but anyways, les talk suspension, they lower the car . . . . brb, got work to attend to

and. . .sorry about the grammar erros, i'll try to correct them as much as possible. So suspensions, they lower that car (looks), improve cornering, wht else. . . I need to do more research on suspensions, but not now, work work work. Oh yea, did i say i lived in Duluth, GA, someone asked that . . .
Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 AM

You can find a lot of good information on suspensions here http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaHandling
Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
What I was saying was that you belittled those of us who did performance mods for what I best interpret you to have meant as a gain of 1-2 seconds in the 1/4. First, that is a lot of time to gain. Second, it does not cost a lot to do basic I/Y/B mods to drop ETs a second or so.

You criticized those of us who have done those mods, even though all of my performance mods cost less- combined- than does a body kit, even unpainted. I was trying to point out that you were brazen in criticizing the aspirations of several of us- myself included- who have done performance mods. I was not trying to start an argueement, and I don't think that you were either. But before you criticize those of us who posted advocating performance mods, think abotu who it is that you are criticizing. (BTW, that was where I was going with my "think before you speak" comment- I meant no disrespect.)

Like I said, we are on the same page with the suspension issue. Re-suggesting it as an option for him was not a bad idea- it serves to reinforce it as an option for him.
I agree...There's nothing wrong with changing the Maxima into a Q-ship at all. There's a niche for that kind of car just like there is a market niche for the BMW 540i/740i.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:07 AM

hey guys,
i'm new with this stuff too and i've been following this thread. i have a fully stock 96 gle and i'm not planning on doing anything to it right now but am thinking about it for the future. can you guys clear up what you mean by suspension. not what a suspension is but which you would recommend, what its advantages are, what price range this mod would end up being in. also, is it realistic to DIY or is it too much hassle. i know i'm new and shouldn't really be fiddling around with suspensions by myself from the start but for someone who's been underneath a car several times, is it doable?
thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 11:12 AM

atleast you have been underneathe a car, i havn't even been there. . . Althogh i have been inside a computer tho :P . And what's DIY?

thanks jDogg, appreciate it
Old 08-30-2004, 11:17 AM

i really haven't been under there to do anything serious. more to watch. i just plan to make regular visits there in the future to get a sense of what goes where. right now, i wouldn't go near the suspension myself for fear of screwing something up. just curious.
DIY= Do It Yourself.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey here's a great idea how about drop a B-16 in it and then slam it and put it on bags. Or if you want y not run duals and then lift it up and put some 44's on it.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by BoltOnBoi
Hey here's a great idea how about drop a B-16 in it and then slam it and put it on bags. Or if you want y not run duals and then lift it up and put some 44's on it.
We are trying to help this guy.

Quick Reply: first time modding, 95 maxima, asking for help :)