4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stock springs, Tokico struts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 05:35 AM

Stock springs, Tokico struts?

Guys,

I bought a modded 97 max. and it's way too low and every bump in the road feels like a crater. The car also pulls to the left, so before I go get an alignment I wanted to make a decision on struts/springs.

#1, I need to raise the car up some... its so low, it rubs pulling out of a lot of parking lots, etc. I had it up on the rack and its tearing the crap out of the exhaust resonator and other stuff.

The prior owner gave me the front and rear stock springs. Currently it has Eibach lowered springs and Tokico struts. I was wondering if the Tokico's will work with the stock springs, or-- since I want to do this once should I replace the whole setup (I'm thinking since I don't know how many miles are on the current Tokico's I should just replace them).

That raises the next question-- do I have Midas or someone just install their lifetime warranty struts with my original springs? Or is there a better after market option that will raise the car up some and also provide a better ride?

I really need to smoothen up this ride compared to the way it is now. It's downright harsh. Is there an after market setup that rides close to the OEM setup but provides better handling/lasts longer?

Thanks for the help all
Old 09-05-2004, 05:55 AM

I have KYB GR2 's front and back with stock springs. I like it. Gives me the control and firm but not harsh ride. Highways speeds are incredible. Car just sticks to the road.
For your dilemma, it would have to be your decision which way to go. Don't go with a cheap Midas set-up, give the car what it deserves. The KYB shocks/struts will run you around $300. I would go for a complete new set-up this way you know and control the life of the suspension.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow ... Tokico's with Eibach spring = very bad combination , Blue Tokico's are valved just like the OEM struts but they are prone to quick failure - especially on stiff springs like Eibach. If you like how the car sits now - i suggest H&R springs and couple them with KYB GR2 struts - they are on Ebay for $230 shipped. I'm on this set up now , with 17" rims and car rides firm but much better than hand full of set up i've had before. Now if you don't want lowered ride just get KYB GR2 struts and put stock springs on - ride will be like new - but don't expect Lexus pampering - 4th gen Maximas ride rough stock !!! not even mention riding lowered.
and then of course there will be the huge gap ....... but if you get some taller profile tires on your stock rims - i won't be that bad.

good luck !!!

Nick.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, so you think I should just use my stock springs then with some KYB GR2's and I will be all set? (or buy new springs too? the originals appear to be in good shape but maybe you can't tell just by looking). Sounds like what I want, stock-like comfort and height (or slightly lower, but not crazy-low like now) with a better performance ride. Sounds good. Anyone else have a setup yielding similar results? Best place you like to buy your KYB GR2's from? Thanks again....
Old 09-05-2004, 06:05 AM

Nick-- thanks for the reply. That's #2 for KYB GR2's, sounds like the way to go. I'm thinking I will use the stock springs-- I don't want the "4 x 4" look though, so that does bite... is there such a thing as a spring that will provide a slight lower while preserving at least similar comfort to the stock springs without going super-low? It's so annoying pulling in and out of parking lots with a slight curb, etc. without cringing as I hear that horrible "scccrrappe". I'm in Pittsburgh, not Florida or CA-- so the roads here suck and the snow is coming... low is bad in snow (bottom of the car gets beached to easy on the snow). Maybe I just have to deal with the height of full springs....... (just stinks, the car came with a real nice set of 18" TSW stings, probably will look stupid with stock suspension... guess I will post them here for sale).

Later!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:41 AM

H&R springs are what you need, Slight drop but awesome handling when paired up with some decent shocks like the GR2s. I'd be interested in trading springs with your if you'd like. I have H&R springs but want to go lower, so let me know if your interested, Pic of the drop can be see at www.cardomain.com/id/ymeofcr. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:14 PM

Guys, best place to snag the H&R springs and KYB GR2 struts... do these look like what I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V

Are these the right ones? Will I need anything else? (I thought I saw some other posts about boots and stuff)..

Thanks all
Old 09-06-2004, 08:50 PM

thats it !!! go for them , look at your front and rear dust boots - and repalce if neccessary , also if your max has more then ~100k look into buying some new front strut bearings , thats about it.

good luck !!!

Nick.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:57 PM

Thanks Nick (again!). the car has 140K miles, so I would like to replace the boots and bearings I think... would I just use Nissan stock replacements for those items? Or since I am using H&R and KYB GR2's would I need different parts. Any idea on the exact part #'s needed so I can place the order all together? Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:59 PM

thats where i bought my gr2 got em in 3 days great costumer sevice
Old 09-06-2004, 09:18 PM

go to your local dealer and buy boots and strut bearings, bring some cash or credit card - bearings might cost as much as $60 for both , boots go for around $15 a piece
You could save some $$$ and buy KYB dust boots - but the fitment soemtime might be an issue - you can't go wrong with OEM stuff.
ahh, nobody else sells strut bearings but dealer - those are the best.

Nick.