4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about replacing struts/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 10:03 PM

Question about replacing struts/shocks

My car rides like an old truck. It has tokico blues up front, and stock shocks in the rear. Needless to say, having 70k on the tokico's and 140k on the stock rears is why my ride is bad. I will be replacing them all four with kyb gr2's. The reason is cost(I can get a good deal on the kyb's), and I have heard good things about them.

Do I need to replace anything else in the process? I have heard from other members that I should also replace strut bearings, strut mounts, and dustboots, due to the age of the car. With 140k, do I need to replace these parts or not? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-05-2004, 10:15 PM

Hmmm... I've been wondering the same thing. I just ordered KYB GR2's and some H-tech springs to go with them.

To answer your question about the dustboots: I bought the dustboots/bumpstops (through Cattman.com for $68) because my dust boots are clearly cracked on two of the struts due to age of the rubber. I would take a look and see how your dustboots are. I bet they are in similar condition to mine (also a 1995 with high mileage). You may have to remove the wheels to see them depending on the style of your rims, but it's worth spending 15 minutes to look.

Now the final question: Should you and I buy new strut mounts, too? You can't see these very well unless you remove them from the car! And I'm not prepared to do that just to take a look! I don't want to spend an extra $120 for these little parts if the ones on there are perfectly fine!
Old 09-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I just recently replaced mine with Tokico Illuminas and CE springs. I also replaced the dust boots with bound bumper, front bearings, poly tubes, and the upper spring seat rubber. The rears came with new washers and rubber bushings so all I replaced there was the boots and the upper spring seast rubber. It was an extra $150 but totally worth it!! Eventhough my ride is now stiffer, the suspension still soaks up the bumps better than the stock beacuse for the new bushings and bearings. It drives like a BRAND NEW car!!!
Old 09-05-2004, 11:56 PM

you know what, it is not really true. as long as everything titen's well still, you dont have to worry about it. but once your nuts keeps turning because of stripped bolts and nuts, that's when you should replace them.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:47 AM

Do I have to get kyb dust boots? I saw another thread that said the stock boots are too long. Is this true?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:36 AM

If you lower your car, the stock boots will be too long. But that's easily curable by removing some of the rubber from them (about 5mm depending on the spring).

From what I hear, the stock dust boots (even when cut) tend to last longer than the KYB. (Of course, there's nothing scientific about a few people saying this, and plenty of people have many many miles on the KYB dustboots, so take it for what it's worth.) I went with the KYB because Cattman seems to have sold thousands of these and has had few complaints about them from maxima drivers (I asked Brian Catts in detail about them). Plus the price is better than what the dealer will charge.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:00 AM

I won't be lowering the car. So the stock dust boots will work?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:18 AM

whatever you do don't buy KYB front strut mount they won't last too long i did along with AGX and stock SE springs(i bough from e-bay) left was shot after only 4 months, right side a month later then finally after 7-8 months my left front AGX blew 2 months later the other front is leaking on stock SE springs everything else in the front suspension is new everything so i will never ever buy a kyb product in my life
Old 09-06-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_pr
whatever you do don't buy KYB front strut mount they won't last too long i did along with AGX and stock SE springs(i bough from e-bay) left was shot after only 4 months, right side a month later then finally after 7-8 months my left front AGX blew 2 months later the other front is leaking on stock SE springs everything else in the front suspension is new everything so i will never ever buy a kyb product in my life

That sucks! They are warranteed, though, so you should have been able to bring them into a service center and had them replaced!

Did they honor their warranty, or just jerk you around saying that you did something wrong, and that the product wasn't the cause...

Let me know how KYB handled it as I've very curious in case I have problems.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_pr
oh wow, you got the rotten shipment or something. they have done soo much for me, and still running perfect.