4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to improve 60 ft times and should i hold out 2nd gear in auto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 12:20 AM

how to improve 60 ft times and should i hold out 2nd gear in auto?

ok first of all the best run i had on friday night was a big disapointment it was a 16.186 at 84.31mph. my best 60ft time of the night was a 2.417 all the rest were 2.44X, am i doing somthing wrong at the line to have such bad times? like it says in my title to this post i have automatic tranny and what i do when both staging lanes lights are lit up i hold the brake down hard and the throttle to the floor til the 3rd yellow then i go i mean i dont have bad r/t by any means i actually got a .008 when .000 is perfect but yet my 60ft sucks? should i not floor the gas til i am about to go? when i have it floored when i let it off the brake to launch i have tiny to no wheelspin at all so idk if i should not floor it and try that or what. another question i have is right before the end of the 1/4 mile when my car shifts itself into 3rd gear its a huge dog idk why, it shifts at 6K every gear which is a little lower than others cars and i dont know why but with that in mind should i just launch with the gear selsector in "2" and shift it into drive at redline so i dont have so much bog into 3rd gear or will that make my time suffer even worse because im taking the engine too high where the power drops off? any info on anything i posted would be awsome as i really at least want to run a damn 15 somthing i mean come on 16's are weak sauce. almost forgot to add i use the drop resistor mod like everyone else i run with
-ryan
Old 09-06-2004, 01:05 PM

have u tried checking your ecu for any codes.. maybe that 0304 code (knock sensor) crept up on u.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:04 PM

yea i just replaced the knock sensor 2 weeks ago idk whats up now?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Top of 2nd gear even in an auto is way too slow to trap for a high 15/low 16 sec car even - you have got to be in 3rd (I'm sure some of the other auto guys can attest to that). I am not sure what your gear ratios are but I don't think anyone finishes at the top of 2nd. Then again, it doesn't hurt to try locking it in 2nd on one run... that's what test and tune is for.

What is the outside air temp. where you are racing? The hot air can be a real "downer" off the line. I do not think that you are too far off what you should be running with a gen 4 auto, in hot weather - if you are stock.

If you replaced your KS, you could try to reset your ECU and wait a couple of weeks, use race gas or high octane when you go to the track, go with 1/4 tank to the track, go when it gets a bit cooler outside. You should be in around 15.8@88?? I don't know what gen 4 autos trap.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:42 PM

i know that i cant hang 2nd gear out but i am asking what gives better performance either waiting it out til redline to put it in drive or let drive shift it at 6K? idk what others do, also i am not stock i have drop resistor, frankencar midpipe with stillen pop charger, custom 2.5" pipe from my testpipe back to my muffler and soon to be installed cattman y pipe, i also had less than a 1/4 tank of 93 octane gas, back seat, spare tire, and jack were all taken out and it was around 74-75 degrees out. i just think i should have gotten a little better time than a 16.1. eckohb that i was racing with ran a 15.9 and he doesnt even have an intake, that was my main concern. idk i just need some tips or somthing idk whats up maybe my engine is just worn out or somthing, i just did all the basic tune ups, oil change, fuel filter, spark plugs, TB cleaning, throttle cable tightening, and knock sensor replaced. what else could be robbing my power? have the free flowing exhaust with stock y pipe on when i ran?
-ryan
Old 09-06-2004, 03:05 PM

Have you done a compression test lately? That would tell you if your motor is in fact losing power.

One thing to remember is that track conditions vary quite drastically within the same area, leave alone different parts of the country. So if the track that you go to yields slower times relatively, don't worry too much.

HOWEVER, eckohb is stock I assume - and ran 15.9? What did he trap?

Reading your list of mods, none of them are huge power adders (although I am not familiar with the drop resistor mod). Don't be surprised if your times aren't too much better than if you were to put your stock parts on and go back to the track. Get the y-pipe at least to complete the b-pipe and reset the ECU like I suggested and then go back a couple of weeks later. Resetting ECU should not be necessary, but at this point you have nothing to lose.

As for shift points, with the US manifold, you definetly do not want to ride it out to redline in 2nd gear. That being said, I believe the auto guys have experiened their best times by just leaving it in drive... even manually shifting does not seem to help - just slows you down. Let it shift into 3rd... bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd (by when you are already accelerating pretty slow) will slow you down more than the auto shift from 2-3.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:13 PM

actually my car is a freak for some reason i can rev it out in gears well past redline like to 7300rpm idk why that is but its not limited until then because i did that on the street the other day to see just how high it would go and it just kept going i thought the limitor is suppsed to be at redline? or close to it? my car also can rev to 7300rpm in nuetral but when i have it in park and rev it only goes til redline before limiting, either i have a really wierd ecu or my car is on crack idk if anyone elses auto does that? im gonna put the y on and restet ecu and next time im going to the track is prolly gonna be the 28th so ill update yall but i still would like some more responses to what yall think is the deal with my car? thanks
-ryan
Old 09-06-2004, 03:18 PM

I think your car is fine... what kind of tires do you have up front (brand, size)?

As for your 7300RPM+ rev limit... I think your tach is off. If you can get your hands on an ECU plugin, plug it into your OBDII port and read the actual RPMs while you rev. Dyno would be another way to find out if your car does in fact rev that high. My car reads about 200RPM high up top, I think. My JWT ECU has a 7200RPM cut but it appears to go to 7400RPM before it hits the limiter.

Or what is the effect of the drop resistor mod? I am not familiar with it - but does it change your rev limit in any way? Maybe you have a JWT ECU in there...
Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM

the drop resistor shouldn't even make that much of a difference.. maybe .01 sec gain. it sucks having an auto like myself because 2nd gear goes up to about 70ish and it has to shift into 3rd before you fly by the trap. strange how ur rev limiter is so high..? i would highly get a y-pipe because you can feel that difference. gains can be anywhere from 10-20 hp! get that first and then hit the tracks.. for sure you'll be in the 15's
Old 09-06-2004, 06:59 PM

Yeah y-pipe is huge! I was running consistent 15.2@92.5 stock and after only the y-pipe and JWT popcharger, I soared into 14.7@96 at the same track!!! I also had SSRs as opposed to my stock sawblades... that could have contributed, but I never tried to run without it so I'll never know.

But y-pipe is a definite plus! I also did go on a cooler day when I went with the y-pipe. You will definetly see mid-high 15s with the y-pipe and the other things mentioned in this thread.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:03 PM

hold 2nd till 6400
Old 09-06-2004, 08:22 PM

thanks guys good info here it should be fun once i get the y on
-ryan
Old 09-06-2004, 10:02 PM
DONE

hey man i just went to the track on friday, i have a 95 auto with then just a short ram intake. i ran a 16.3 and a 16 flat.my 60 ft time was a 2.44. since then i have cleaned my throttle body, put in new plugs, and ran the rest of the intake to make it a cold air. i should be going to the track in another week or two so i will let you know what i run. my 16 flat came with stalling the car at 2500 or 3000 rpms and leaving it in drive, my trap speed was 85.42. face it man aautos just suck but it's what we have to work with. let me know how much the y pipe does for you. i am putting on a new system from the cat back with 2 1/2" pipe. thursday i will let you know how better it runs
Old 09-06-2004, 10:46 PM

i am not stock, i have a budget y pipe, DR mod, custom 2.5" exhaust. i didnt feel jack when i put my y pipe on. it just got louder. i dunno, i was happy when i ran a 15.994, thats all i was concerned about. me and joosdawg also have the 16" 5 spokes, so maybe if we threw on some sawblades or steelies, we'd be down in the 15s more, but who knows. autos do suck, which isnt cool at all. but thats what i was dealt. so fugg it
Old 09-07-2004, 03:23 PM

Your car is a freak huh? Trust me theres no way you can rev your car that high. There are only 3 ways.. an aftermarket ECU, Bad Tach, or you over revved it. The rev limiter that kicks in at 6800 is only a fuel cut off, it doesnt actually "stop" the engine from over revving.