4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MAX VS Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 08:15 PM
Vector

I just bought a 96 Maxima with a 5 spd. I'm sorry guys I don't get it? The car rides nice and looks clean but it has no ***** at all. I have a 91 Mustang GT 5.0 that has 160,000 miles on it and it burns 3 quarts of oil a week but it would rip the door off of the max. I was expecting a much faster car and it is not my car I thought my friends 2001 was a dog also. There is something to be said for american muscle. The rumble the bad gas mileage the rear wheel drive I love it all. Just my opinion.

Old 04-07-2001, 08:23 PM

Without even addressing the issue of whether you're fast or not (though you ARE as fast as a mid-90's Mustang GT, I imagine the refinement and quiet makes it seem slower), I must respectfully ask: If this car is so bad, then you bought it................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .....why?

Alex
Old 04-07-2001, 08:24 PM

compare the specs of each car... they are in two total different categories..

btw, did you test drive it first, if you did, why did you get it then?!?

Originally posted by Vector
I just bought a 96 Maxima with a 5 spd. I'm sorry guys I don't get it? The car rides nice and looks clean but it has no ***** at all. I have a 91 Mustang GT 5.0 that has 160,000 miles on it and it burns 3 quarts of oil a week but it would rip the door off of the max. I was expecting a much faster car and it is not my car I thought my friends 2001 was a dog also. There is something to be said for american muscle. The rumble the bad gas mileage the rear wheel drive I love it all. Just my opinion.
Old 04-07-2001, 08:28 PM

Although the max is no slouch, its definately not ***** out speed like a 'stang. With some mods though... you'll hang with stangs.

peace
Old 04-07-2001, 08:35 PM
97Maxga

Not really much of a comparison. I had a 87 300ZX turbo that would run circles around any Mustang (except for that one with the S/C and nitrous -not a good showing) whether it was a 5.0 or 4.6 or even the SVT Cobra. My Z was fairly stock with just a K&N but the boost was increased to 10psi. Tested with a G-tech, 0-60 was 4.9 /5.1 /5.1. Not bad for a $4k car. Oh, it had 140k miles and didn't use any oil. I guess thats the difference between a Ford and a Nissan. ; )

The Maxima is not a street burner, even in the SMX package. It's quick, but not fast. Can be made to be quicker, but still not fast. I miss my Z everytime I press the accelerater and someone still goes by me. If you wanted a fast sedan, you should have bought a M5 or an E55. There are other sedans that cost the same as the Maxima and maybe quicker, but the Maxima looks the best (IMHO of course).

Don't take this as pissing on you, just my opinions. And like the say, everyone has one and they all stink.

Later

Old 04-07-2001, 08:40 PM
Vector

Originally posted by mattC
Although the max is no slouch, its definately not ***** out speed like a 'stang. With some mods though... you'll hang with stangs.

peace

Don't get me wrong I love the max! it is a quiet comfortable sedan. I was just expecting a little more speed that's all. I know the stang is White Trash! The max has great lines. And it doesn't burn oil.

Old 04-07-2001, 08:46 PM

since you put it that way, i think it's performace is quite outstanding compared to other V6's of it's calss. it can outrun NA 300zx and supras as well as V6 firebirds, camaros, and much more. get a little more used to it, dont expect too much though, remember your moving from a muscle car to a sports sedan.

Don't get me wrong I love the max! it is a quiet comfortable sedan. I was just expecting a little more speed that's all. I know the stang is White Trash! The max has great lines. And it doesn't burn oil.
Old 04-07-2001, 08:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My $$.02

Maxima's are fast..well i know mine is and its stock..maybe yours needs an oil change or an airfilter and maybe just a good tune up...cause they are really quick cars for the 6 cyl its got :lauph: ...stang is american...:lauph:
Old 04-07-2001, 08:57 PM
Vector

Originally posted by _DRU_
since you put it that way, i think it's performace is quite outstanding compared to other V6's of it's calss. it can outrun NA 300zx and supras as well as V6 firebirds, camaros, and much more. get a little more used to it, dont expect too much though, remember your moving from a muscle car to a sports sedan.

I'm just F***in with you guys I think my Maxima would KILL my mustang or at least hold it's own with it. V6 vs 5.0 ? Nisian can get 190 out of a V6 Ford can get 225 out of a 5.0? The engine is twice the size and it makes about the same power. The Japs are on point. But I do Like the rumble of an american V-8 they have a nice sound. I just wanted to see how nuts everyone would go on this page. Who else makes superchargers for a Max, besides Stillen?

Thanks

That was fun

Old 04-07-2001, 08:59 PM

your a jokester

Old 04-07-2001, 09:29 PM

All I know is that I beat the crap out of sport car on a daily basis

Get a SC and your perspective on maxims/I30's performance will change and fast! BTW when I drove my highly moded NA max I beat every Mustang I ever raced, and I raced quite a few. Now it's just funny racing mustangs, unless it has a SC too!
Old 04-07-2001, 10:32 PM
rll96se

I'm just F***in with you guys I think my Maxima would KILL my mustang or at least hold it's own with it. V6 vs 5.0 ? Nisian can get 190 out of a V6 Ford can get 225 out of a 5.0? The engine is twice the size and it makes about the same power. The Japs are on point. But I do Like the rumble of an american V-8 they have a nice sound. I just wanted to see how nuts everyone would go on this page. Who else makes superchargers for a Max, besides Stillen?

Thanks

That was fun
Gooood one. You had me thinking, "Is this guy freakin crazy?"

I too love to hear and drive old school muscle cars done up right. I have a friend with a '67 Stingray with the 427 and only 30k miles...serious *****!

Old 04-07-2001, 11:45 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Riiiight...........

You had better check yoself...... I as well as many max drivers have put to shame a mustang......maybe not a cobra or svt but i have raced and beaten a few 5.slows and the 4.6 modular.....

Originally posted by rll96se

Gooood one. You had me thinking, "Is this guy freakin crazy?"

I too love to hear and drive old school muscle cars done up right. I have a friend with a '67 Stingray with the 427 and only 30k miles...serious *****!