4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 11:29 AM

Need help please

OK still trying to troubleshoot my no start problem. It does crank just never catches. I can clutch start it down the hill just fine. After doing so I can then turn the car off and it will start right up. I do have codes now for the 2 upper O2 sensors. Everyone ivetalked to said this shouldnt cause the car not to start and it should run in default mode. Ive relaced the battery, starter, cleaned the TB, Battery ground cable, and taken the camshaft position sensor off and cleaned it as well.

My main question is this. Can an O2 sensor cause the car to crank and not start? ALso any othe rhelp would be great.

Terry
Old 09-08-2004, 10:49 AM

bump I need some feedback please.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:55 AM

well not sure if the O2 sensor's can cause the problem you are having but how about replacing them and seeing what happens? maybe it will fix it, if not you still need to change them anyways.

Did you run a diagnostic check on the transmission? if not check the FAQ's and run the test and see if u get any codes, transmission might be causing something too.

Only another thing i can think of that can cause this is your fuel pump. look into that...

-ken
Old 09-08-2004, 01:53 PM

Ok transmission was just rebuilt and it was doing this before i had the tranny done. Also being a 5 speed it will roll start and run fine so how would that be a fuel pump? I dont know for sure but i have a scanner and the only thing that is showing up right now is the 2 02 sensors. Ill check into how much a fuel pump will cost me.

Does anhyone think that a bad conection to the ecu or ground to the ecu could be causing this problem? I was wondering if it would be worhth the time to tear about the dash and clean the connectors and ground?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:34 PM

i dout its a bad connection to the ground from the ecu cause u would get tons of other codes, from what i know if your car cranks but does not start, the fuel is not getting there to the engine. If it was your spark plugs it would not start even if you rolled it down the hill in gear. some how rolling the car in gear is causing the fuel to be sucked into the engine and get it going. Then when it starts and its warm it starts up again but i would think eventually it will stop doing that too...i would still say there is a problem with some sensor that controls the fuel flow or the fuel pump itself.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:48 PM

i dont think the motor will suck up fuel. does the motor crank like crazy and gives no sign of sputtering?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:47 AM

Yes I did change the spark plgs just to change them. Before changing them i tryed to start the car and it did not fire. After chaning them same thing. The old plugs smelt like gas so i thinkit was getting gas. To answer your question yes the car will crank till the battery goes dead if i let it and never fire. The scary part of the whoel thing is its hit and miss. Im thinking it has to be electrical. Ive heard the ignition switch could cause this and im getting a new one today. My only question is now is should i just replace the electrical part or get a new mechanical part as well to rule out a worn mechanical side of the switch? Electricalpart is $30 and the mechanical side is $150 from the dealer only.

Thanks
Terry
Old 09-09-2004, 07:33 AM

Could it be the alternator? I think the fact that you can roll start your car and right after start the car up fine may indicate that your battery is getting just enough juice to initiate the electrical fuel injection to start the car up.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:03 AM

if black smoke comes out(from the muffler) check you fuel pressure regulator