4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replace Power Window Regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Replace Power Window Regulator?

Good evening all. I have a little problem. Yesterday my rear power window gave out on me. It made a loud crack and just fell down while I was putting it up. Now it just loose. You can lift it with your hands easily. The motor still makes noise so I'm guessing it still works. I took the door apart and saw some pieces of white plastic broken at the bottom, inside the door. I think it belongs to the regulator. Any one know how to replace a regulator. My Haynes book doesn't explain it at all. Please help!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Made in Taiwan

yeah, i just did mine in the past saturday. it's not too hard. i did both rear windows by myself, and it nearly took me about 1 and 1/2 hours. it's much easier if you had the motor installed with the assembly first.
i didn't take any pix while i did it. but here are a few thing i remember:

1) take out the door trim panel (this is really easy, only one bolt in the door cup)

2) then you remove seven #10 (golden) bolts [4 from the assembly and 3 from the motor] it's easier to use the socket set on these bolts.

3) after this, the whole thing should just fall off, be careful, the window will come down with it.

4) then you wanna remove 2, the same #10, golden bolts that attatch the assembly to the windows. ( this may be hard, it's easier if you use the #10 wrench this time), and you can also reach in with the other arm from the bottom hole of the door to help out. this is the hardest part for me because the two bolts are inside the door body.

5) after you did step 4, you can just take out the whole win assembly, and get the new one ready. before you throw in the new assembly, make sure the motor is attatched to it, and that no plastic pieces are broken and everything is in track. (the cable from the motor should be completely covered with the plastics and the cable hose.)

Before you put in the new assembly, you might wanna plug this new set with the window switch. turn the power on, make sure it works. then you wanna also use the switch to "pull the tracker all the way up, and a little bit down." you do this because you want to attatch the window assembly with the window not at the toppest position, because this will cause problems attatching the assembly to the door. "you want enough clearance to attatch both ends!!!" then dettatch the window switch and the door trim.

6) now you can put the motor/assembly back. Attatch the two bolts from the assembly to the window first. ( do not worry about the motor yet). this make take a little long, too.

7) then you can attatch the assembly to the door body. the same 4 golden bolts. this should be easy.

8) finally you can hook the motor and screw in the 3 bolts.

and you know the rest: plug in the switch, and punch the door trim back in, and insert that last screw in the door cup.

this should cover everything in detail. if you have further needs email me at cyu1@lsu.edu i'll try to help you.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:41 AM

Awesome!!!!

cyu1,

Wow!!! That was awesome. Thanks a lot for your help. I'm going to tackle this as soon as I buy the parts. Should I buy the motor also, or only the regulator? The motor sounds like if it works. Do you have any recommendations on where to buy these parts?

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:24 AM

You can buy the motor and regulator on ebay for like 70 bux. Nissan wants like 200 for the motor and 70 for the regulator. Might as well buy both for 70 on ebay.. Im doing mine a.s.a.p.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:24 PM

Noisy windows

Okay I bought the nissan brand regulator and installed it. The only problem is that it squeaks a lot more than the others. It was loaded with grease so I doubt it needed lubircation. It goes up and down at the same speed as the other 3 windows, but it make a lot more noise. Any ideas?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by image
You can buy the motor and regulator on ebay for like 70 bux. Nissan wants like 200 for the motor and 70 for the regulator. Might as well buy both for 70 on ebay.. Im doing mine a.s.a.p.
ebay is the way to go.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:41 PM

some times the plastic pieces snap to and you can simply rivit it to the metal bracket to get it to work like it did before. I did this on my moms cammry.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:42 AM

no kididng. The only downside to buying stuff on ebay is you cant take it back. Im stuck with this rear driver side window motor/regulator now! Cuz i dont need it! So i was gunna sell it to some guy on the .org and he ended up not needing it.. so its on ebay now. Hopefully i will be able to sell it because the seller who i bought it from is flooding the market with it.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

95 Maxima

GF's instructions are so helpful. I followed step by step and had motor and regulator installed. It works perfect! I can't believe I could do it. Thanks so much to GF. I have something to tell. I shopped around and found bargain at www.autopartswarehouse.com . It costs $43 for a set of motor and regulator for rear passenger side window, compared 78 at EBay and 170 at a local auto parts store. In step 5 I pulled tracker all the way up and lowered by 1.3" that was measured on the removed one. For a about 17 years old Maxima 52 dollars (including tax and shipping) is worth to have the rear window working properly.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 AM

thanks alot
Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had the broken regulator so took this on today.
Wasn't too bad with the Godfather's instructions.
I took some pictures to add.

I decided to remove the two bolts holding the window while it was down (holding it up from falling with my hand). This gives easy access to the bolts through a hole in the door skin. I taped up the window and removed the rest of the bolts.

Attached Thumbnails Replace Power Window Regulator?-nissan-maxima_4th-gen_window-regulator-1.jpg   Replace Power Window Regulator?-nissan-maxima_4th-gen_window-regulator-2.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 PM

Subscribed for good instructions.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Asked to have this thread added to the sticky how-to and it was.
Thanks for the contributions here.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:53 PM

i had this happen to me before, was driving and all the sudden my driver rear window falls down, had to fix it asap.. shop charged me $200 for a brand new one. no problems ever since.. was the only window that had a bad regulator.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:55 AM

I have installed the new window regulaor but the rubber channel in which the window goes seems way too tight/crusty. The new motor has just as much trouble pushing the window up as the old one so i probably didn't need the new one in the first place.

If i spray it with silicone grease, is that all that is needed to make it go up properly?

I read another thread that had another product mentioned that is even better than the silicone spray. Does anyone know what that product is? I think I lost that link/thread or may have seen it on my phone and closed the tab.

Thanks to any that can help!
Old 12-06-2015, 09:31 AM

First try adjusting the track that the glass rides in. Make it a little wider.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:49 PM

Thanks Dennis. I managed to get it working properly with the silicone spray.

I decided to do the other rear window too, since it was grime and crusty rubber that made both of them slow.

Both are working great now. Another problem solved, thanks to this forum!