4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Deciding on Intake!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 03:09 PM

Deciding on Intake!!!!

Alright i got the kn panel filter , but then i go to autozone and they have the intake adapters for our cars. so im thinking of returning the panel filter and getting a cone kn filter with the adapter what do u guys think?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:15 PM

you could hack your air box for free... but if it was me... out of those two choices i would go cone...

but not out of those, i would definately go PR short ram... just my personal preference
Old 09-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Does anyone know where to get Place Racing products???

I'm having a heck of a time finding a Place Racing CAI, and cattman doesn't carry them anymore...
Old 09-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SlackR237

I'm having a heck of a time finding a Place Racing CAI, and cattman doesn't carry them anymore...
You can buy them on Ebay
Old 09-20-2004, 03:49 PM

haq....rhymes with FAQ...hack the airbox
Old 09-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Originally Posted by Zach95SE
You can buy them on Ebay
Not really... You can buy cold air intakes that are LIKE Place Racing, but there are zero Place Racing products for Nissans on eBay.

This is driving me nuts. It shouldn't be so hard to find a product that so many org members apparently have...
Old 09-20-2004, 06:07 PM

Or you can just make your own....Few years back I had decided to make one, works great. I never justified spending over $125 for a newintake when I can have fun doing it myself. I use to sell them too......and It's fun to make. and after to admire what you did all by yourself.

Email me for pictures....

cchiu1026@comcast.net
Old 09-21-2004, 01:37 PM

Not really... You can buy cold air intakes that are LIKE Place Racing, but there are zero Place Racing products for Nissans on eBay.

This is driving me nuts. It shouldn't be so hard to find a product that so many org members apparently have...
As far as I know alot of org members also buy their "Place Racing" intakes off of ebay. But go to PlaceRacing.com and get a catalog or email them a number to call or something because their site is down.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:41 PM

Why doesn't Cattman have them anymore
Old 09-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Pizda Boy

stay stock... i tried the cone by itself and i actually lost power...lots of it in the low end.... mid end & high were the same...
Old 09-21-2004, 02:07 PM

yeah stock has shown the best performance, though I personally bought an intake "kit" off of ebay for $35, threw the filter it came with away, and got a 6" x 5" (3" inlet) K&N filter off of ajusua.com (I think) for around $40. Looks nice, and works really well (though its a tight fit!)
Old 09-21-2004, 02:08 PM

If you get the adapter & K&N cone, you're only missing the midpipe, the difference in power between midpipes? minimal, so you could buy one from ebay and throw away the cheap cone. Just ideas, see earlier post one of 100's on the same thing:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=339149
Old 09-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Stock really has shown the best performance?? Weird, I never heard that one before.. But then how does that happen when CAIs give like 3-4 hp?

The only performance mods that I want to do so far is a CAI and a y-pipe. I hear this combo produces about 20 hp, as opposed to just the y-pipe alone (which I hear produces 13 or so...). Anyone have dyno experience on this??

Oh and about Place Racing... I called them twice during normal business hours, and the phone just rang, I got nothing. I also e-mailed them TWICE asking for information, again no response. I was about to order their catalog online, but I noticed their online security service (Thawte i think?) had expired 2 years ago. Something's up with PR...
Old 09-21-2004, 03:31 PM

try southwestautoworks.com talk to steve
Old 09-21-2004, 04:17 PM

just get a knockoff from ebay... no difference except probably the filter... i would save about $80 by doing it that way... you are just paying for the name PR but they are actually the same style...
Old 09-21-2004, 04:42 PM

ya pipe is pipe even if its platnum jsut get a cheap one and get a k&n filter
Old 09-21-2004, 08:35 PM
acj

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
stay stock... i tried the cone by itself and i actually lost power...lots of it in the low end.... mid end & high were the same...
I agree. I made mine own intake...midpipe, maf adapter and all...and it looked and worked great during the winter. But during the summer the midpipe would get hot and gave me a lot of low end lag.

I still have a cone filter which responds pretty good, but I may go back stock with a K&N filter just to see how it is. Maybe even cut up the airbox.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:36 PM

Well as for power wise I have no clue, I have never ran a dyno. The truth is that you can only get so much with an intake. As for that I have ran very consistant quarter mile times with a full stock setup besides a fstb which make no difference. I ran 15.9 with a GLE (heaviest), that was my fastest stock time, consistantly that is. I made my own intake and messed around little bit more and so far my fastest time is a 15.6 quarter mile. So it depends on what you want, if you really want to be faster, save your money for a forced induction. I use to crave for bolt on modifications but now i'm more into forced induction which hopefully i'll have running within the next 4months and possibly building a motor on the side. Then again everyone had their own opinions and point of views in modifying a car. You'll probably love that intakes growl more than anything...........Ohh yeah disregard my sig. I never updated it.....
Old 09-23-2004, 06:56 AM

I hacked my box, just by cutting a 2.5" round hole in the driver side of the lower airbox with a cut-out attatchment for my drill. Acts completely like stock, except now has a goodly amount of growl at WOT. I love it!
Old 09-23-2004, 06:42 PM

which CAI(s) require no drilling again? and does anyone do hybrid intakes anymore?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:58 PM

oh boy... the pr style is the only one that requires drilling...

Originally Posted by the faqs
Hybrid/ Short Ram A hybrid intake uses a cone filter with a MAF adapter and replaces the stock intake resonator with a smooth tube. Upper RPM gains are as good as better than a Pop charger and there is little or no low end power loss. This seems to be the most popular intake among board members at the moment. You can buy a hybrid setup from Frankencar Performance or buy the upper tube of a CAI from Place Racing or Warpspeed and piece together your own. There are also hybrid type setups available on Ebay, as above most come with a cheap filter that I would recommend replacing with a K&N.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:02 PM
wat

Yup winter is approaching soon. Putting the intake back on. Stock intake stays on in the summer, there is just so much low end lag from the heat.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Well, I ended up getting a Cattman CAI.. This way there won't be a problem with fitment or anything because it's a quality product.

One last question, BlueC, you could probably help me out with this, but how are CAIs in winter? I mean, won't snow be getting up in the wheel well and getting all over the filter? Michigan has some brutal snow sometimes, like it snows 1-1 1/2 feet in a day... Am I going to have a problem with hydrolock or a wet filter?
Old 09-25-2004, 04:09 PM

what do u guys think is the best hybrid intake available on the market today?
Old 09-25-2004, 09:27 PM
wat

Well, I ended up getting a Cattman CAI.. This way there won't be a problem with fitment or anything because it's a quality product.

One last question, BlueC, you could probably help me out with this, but how are CAIs in winter? I mean, won't snow be getting up in the wheel well and getting all over the filter? Michigan has some brutal snow sometimes, like it snows 1-1 1/2 feet in a day... Am I going to have a problem with hydrolock or a wet filter?
I have a regular short ram. I dont use cai around here. I dont want to risk it.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:02 PM

Does anybody have the installation instructions for the PR CAI intake and the template? I think Chestbo had it on his old site but I cant find it anymore?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:00 AM

there are instructions in the how-to sticky. i used those the other day when i installed my ebay pr cai knock off. i can use the cai for now, then when winter rolls around, go to short ram. i love it.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
Alright i got the kn panel filter , but then i go to autozone and they have the intake adapters for our cars. so im thinking of returning the panel filter and getting a cone kn filter with the adapter what do u guys think?

Stillen has a cool Injen CAI for your VQ.............
Old 09-26-2004, 10:18 AM

Stick with your stock resonator.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

I read this on a previous thread for a PR template; PM FutureProof your email address and he'll send it too you.

Installation instructions: https://maxima.org/modules.php?name=CAI

hmmmm... thanks BlueC for your input, anyone with a cold air intake live up north with the kind of snow us michiganders get?? I'm a little worried about snow getting all over (or worse, past) the cone filter
Old 09-26-2004, 07:55 PM

is it better to add an intake or muffler? does the muffler even have any performance gains without piping?

adding an intake alone will rob you of some low end power, but will improve top end. Is this worth it if I keep the exhaust compeltely stock? I am thinking about the stillen HAI.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:17 PM

i personally think you should stick with the stock airbox....blah on my injen.....it just sucks up the hot air from my radiator....but the plus is the sound when i get on it...but that is just me....
Old 09-26-2004, 09:35 PM

hey deezo i think ur right, let me ask u this though, i talked to a friend of mine he works for nissan and thats execally what he said. he was like "all those filters just make high end power and cut the low end," he also said that the engine can only compensate for a small change in the air entering the engine and it will cause the engine to run lean. now is he full of crap or is he right?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:54 PM

for those of you that have the intake...how much power loss are we talking about? when you get more high end...what does that really mean? as in you get a higher top speed?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:01 PM

ok its like this if u add an intake, off the line acceleration is sacrifised and the power is added to your higher rpm's. thats basically it. (some might have a different opinion so if you do please state it)
Old 09-26-2004, 11:54 PM

does anyone have sound clips of CAI vs. hybrid intake vs. hacked airbox? I don't really care about the power gains since they are so little. All I really care about is the sound and I can't decide what to get.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:42 AM

I 'll sell you a nice used one. And it's real. Just let me know.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:03 AM

On my old '93 Altima, I did a Comptech Icebox style intake setup. I cut the front of my fenderwell resonator box open to act as a cool air scoop and ran 2" piping to the stock airbox(2" so I wouldn't have to cut). I bought an Autozone $15 MAF adaptor and mounted it in the airbox and added the largest K&N cone filter I could find. Honestly, I had at least the same amount of low end as stock if not more(could easily squeal the front tires-auto) and had a bigger 'kick' around 3k+rpm-it seemed to pull harder than the POP Charger I had...I got tired of the noise and the off the line bog the WAI gave me....

It's just an idea for ya, I sure loved the outcome!

Jeremy
Old 09-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Thanks but no thanks, Shift_my vq, I just got sick of searching and bought a Cattman instead of PR CAI...

If you would've caught me a few days ago, you could've had yourself a deal!
Old 09-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

FYI, there is no loss in "lowend" power with any kind of intake. It's been proven time and time again on the dyno. This lowend loss that people experience with POP/hybrid intakes comes mostly from the lack of a steady column of air near the throttle body at part throttle. The stock intake and CAI (somewhat) pressurizes the intake slightly so that there is a steady amount of air therefore part throttle input feels far better. The steady column of air also allows the MAF to get slightly more accurate readings and offers more linear part throttle acceleration. At WOT, there should be no difference because the engine is trying to suck in as much air as possible and the pressurization effect is lost. Automatics are far more sensitive to aftermarket intakes because of their longer gears and the fact that the engine rpms stay quite a bit lower during normal driving. This is why everyone complains about their lack of lowend power.

As for the MAF/ECU not being able to compensate for increased air/exhaust flow, it's incorrect. Older speed density units, many domestics, and higher end imports aren't able to compensate for increased air/exhaust flow due to limitations with the ECU setup. The 3rd+ gen Maximas aren't one of these cars. The ECU is more than able to accept large changes in flow and it's been proven on the dyno and track. The ECU can compensate for just about anything you throw at it however you may exceed the limitations of the injectors, fuel pump, rods, valvetrain, etc if you get too crazy (ie boost, nitrous, etc). Many disagree that the ECU "learns" your modifications, but I've experienced it first hand dozens of times after changing intake setup and such. A prime example is swapping my CAI with a resonator for a hybrid setup. After installing my hybrid setup, the intake growl was slightly louder, the car felt boggy, I can barely hear the VI switchover sound, and my MPGs go to poop (less 20%). 120 miles and one week later, the car feels much more powerful, more responsive to throttle inputs, the switchover sound is Honda-like, and MPGs are back up by 20%. Something had to change in the tuning of car because I've experienced everytime I swap intakes or add mods like a Y-pipe, ECU, etc.

Quick Reply: Deciding on Intake!!!!