4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

are stock struts with aftermarket springs no good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 AM

are stock struts with aftermarket springs no good?

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I don't have the privilege to search yet. So if it's a repost I apologize and if you could link me to the original I'd appreciate it. If not...

I got my 95 Max three months ago. With my birthday and xmas coming up I'm most likely going to use any money I get towards my car. I'm looking to get 17" rims and do a modest drop. I want the ride to be as close to stock as possible while still minimizing the hideous wheel gap. I don't think I'd be able to afford new rims, tires, springs and struts so I wanted to know if it's possible to have lowering springs on stock struts? I live in New York and we have our fair share of shotty roads so I don't want to chance anything, but I also don't want to buy a whole new set of performance struts if the stocks will do.

So, has anyone installed aftermarket springs on their stock struts and had no problems?

Like I said, I'd buy the springs that offer the softest ride with a modest drop, I guess 1.5" in the front and 1.3" in the rear. And I have a 4th gen (95), living in NY.

Any help, pics, warnings would be appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:42 AM

yes. You are right....they are no good.
Stock struts cannot really handle any drop.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:44 AM

Thanks for your help Bru, that's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask to make sure. Anymore advice, anecdotes, opinions, stories etc are welcome
Old 09-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well Brudaddy did sum it up. Stock equipment is usually best with other stock equipment. Usually stock struts will hold up with aftermarket springs for a while but after a long period of time they will start to atrophy. You will begin to feel that the ride quality has gone away, more "thud" sounds will come from that certain location where the blow strut is. Basically it's just more effective to get struts and springs at the same time, so you will avoid any malfunctions to your car.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:00 PM

Perfect explanation Taken, thanks for the details. I'd obviously rather spend more money up front to do the job right than save up front and possibly cause bigger problems down the road. That solves that, thanks guys!
Old 09-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dont even think about throwing lowering springs on the car with stock struts, you wont be happy with the ride, and it wont handle any better. I am currently lowered on Eibachs with Tokico Blues and am not completely happy with my setup. If I were you i'd wait till I had the cash for a good set of struts (koni yellows, tokico illuminas, kyb agx (not as good as the other two but its cheaper).

I should have those D2 coilovers on my car by monday. Im probably going to sell my current strut/shock setup if you're interested. Eibach Prokit, Tokico Blues, appx 15000 miles on them. $250. PM me if you're interested. Im located in Northern NJ.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
Dont even think about throwing lowering springs on the car with stock struts, you wont be happy with the ride, and it wont handle any better. I am currently lowered on Eibachs with Tokico Blues and am not completely happy with my setup. If I were you i'd wait till I had the cash for a good set of struts (koni yellows, tokico illuminas, kyb agx (not as good as the other two but its cheaper).

I should have those D2 coilovers on my car by monday. Im probably going to sell my current strut/shock setup if you're interested. Eibach Prokit, Tokico Blues, appx 15000 miles on them. $250. PM me if you're interested. Im located in Northern NJ.
Thanks for the recommendations and offer. That price sounds great, but I'm still just researching now. I'm not ready to commit to anything yet, especially without the money