4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Slow Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Chassis Freak

Slow Oil Leak

It's NOT coming from the oil pressure sensor. The sensor itself is clean but there is oil all over the cable leading to the sensor, the oil filter, control arm, and up to the power steering pulley area. It looks like it could be leaking from the bottom of the panel that covers the water pump on the side of the engine. Does anyone know what this could be?

Also, I was down to less than 2 quarts of oil in the engine before I realized I was low on oil (DOH!). The oil light NEVER went on, not even when the engine ran really hard the day I finally realized I had low oil. Shouldn't it have come on?
Old 09-27-2004, 12:10 AM

your oil light isn't for oil level. It is there for oil pressure. As long as that oil pump is kicking the oil light will not come on.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:06 AM

I have that same leak. I've posted about it quite a few times but no one ever says anything about it, they're more concerned about painting their gaytezzas.

Mine is leaking from the oil pump housing not the front timing cover, its up behind the passengers side axle in a very odd spot on the back of the engine. Its a very slow seep thats coming down around the oil pressure switch, control arm and oil pan. Funny because after looking at it, the only way to replace that gasket is to take off the lower half of the engine...
Old 09-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Chassis Freak

Well, I would have thought that the oil pressure would get low if the oil level was less than half full.

Ant, it's both encouraging and discouraging to hear that you have the same problem but don't have a fix. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had an oil leak very similar to yours that the dealer (99 GLE was still under warranty) diagnosed as 1) main cranksaft seal, then 2) oil pan gasket, then 3) front engine timing chain cover gasket, then 4) somewhere inside (seals and gaskets) the engine that required dropping the entire engine.

All 4 items were fixed one at a time. Yes, I am very patient. On my 4th return, the service advisor told me Nissan will give me a new engine if needed.
Unfortunately, the leak was fixed, ha ha.

Like a leaky roof, it is very hard to pinpoint by looking at a stained ceiling. Perhaps this is why members are hesitant to reply to your request for help. If you want more details, pm me. I think I can dig up my service records for more clues. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Would an oil leak, even a slow/small leak affect how the car runs? More importantly, affects the performance? Well, I guess I have the same problems as you guys. I have an oil leak too. It's not coming from the oil pressure sensor. I'm not sure if it's coming from the oil pan or somewhere else though. I don't even know how long it's been leaking. I still wouldn't have noticed it if my friend didn't point out the oil spot on my driveway. For some reason, I just never look even when I was under the car to do some work.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:12 PM

Sounds a lot like your leak is from the timing cover on the front of the engine. It's a very pricey repair, but you should do it soon. If it's leaking on your control arm, it could damage the bushing (that's what happened to mine) and that's even more $$$.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:57 PM

The oil pressure light generally comes on after the motor melts together.

Changed my oil today and there was almost none in there after 5000 miles. Almost had a heart attack.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 PM

thats not cool, check that oil every few weeks. Hopefully you didnt do any damage.

I wish I had a picture, its not the timing cover. If you look under the car from where the passengers side axle sits, the engine is split into 2 sections at the block. One section is the upper part of the block and the other is the bottom half which includes the oil pan. I looked in the Haynes manual and its called the Oil Pump Housing. Getting that thing out means you have to literally take the bottom half of the engine off to get to that gasket.. passengers side axle, oil pan and bottom half of the engine and the cross member that goes from the radiator to the rear engine mount. Its a biiiiiig job for a little leak, atleast in my case. But its really annoying when you leave 2 small drops of oil everywhere you go.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:34 PM

I took a quick look today to confirm the leak. Well I'm certain I have an oil leak coming from somewhere now. It's dripping down from the oil pan, but doesn't seem to be leaking directly from the oil pan. It's not the timing cover either.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a similar problem that has been getting progressively worse. When I had my car at the dealer about a year ago they said it was the rear main seal that was leaking.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:54 AM

I have the same exact leak...I know it's not the pressure switch cause that is relatively new...I think mine might be getting progressively worse...I am going to try some oil stop leak stuff that a Z mechanic recommended...if that doesn't work...it's prolly cheaper to just drop in another engine than fix this leak!
Old 09-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Chassis Freak

I'm guessing mine is a big gasket or some part of the engine that would be very expensive to fix. I'm not too concerned about the leak because it's not even dripping (maybe a very occasional drip), but I am concerned about oil being all over the control arm as someone above said that could damage bushing(s). It's also annoying to have muddy oily crap all over these areas of my engine bay... Once I get synthetic oil back in, I think the leak will increase but it's worth it. Just will keep a close eye on the oil level. At least I didn't waste money on a new oil pressure sensor.

Keep posting your personal experiences and ideas, everyone.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:19 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Its also very difficult to diagnose leaks in this area because there is so much **** recipricating to spew oil every where.

To those that think your oil pan is leaking, I imagine that would be very simple to diagnose. If its leaking at the pan/engine seal there will not be oil above that point. If there is you obviously have issues further up.

I currently have a dual leak. One similar to VQuick's that isn't pinpointable. Possible areas that it may be orignating for me are the rear valve cover(This is very prone to leaking due to it being sealed with a combination of rubber gasket and RVT sealant), as well as power steering pump and possibly OP sensor. I wish I knew. Its been going on for a while.

Tom, now that I think about it. When I was under Tyler's car I noticed moistness in that general area. We should all get together and b!tch the Nissan out for making that area so prone to leaking and hard to get at.