4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No cheese with my whine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No cheese with my whine...

So recently I've noticed a whine coming from what sounds like behind the center consol close to the floorboard. The whine isn't too loud but is quite high pitched and very annoying. The whine only ocures when I have my foot on the gas and disappears when I take my foot off the gas. This whine does't seem to be a direct function of the engine or transmission because it ocures at the same loudness and high pitch regardless of rpm's. The whine generally is at its loudest around 65-68 mph and the whine is present whether the airconditioner/fan/vent is on or off. I also checked to see if the whine was stereo related, but this too presented a dead end as the whine is still there with the stereo on and off. Sorry to whine, but this is really starting to p*ss me off...anyone have an idea what might be causing this whine?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:24 AM

Fuel pump, just an idea. There is a thread around here where somebody is talking baout that I think
Old 09-27-2004, 10:53 AM

I thought the fuel pump was towards the rear of the car in the gas tank itself. Also, if it is the fuel pump wouldn't the pitch and loudness of the whine be more connected to the rpm's of the car (since the whine currently happens at a specific speed rather than rpm)?