4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just Cleaned Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 08:13 PM
Lives in a 350Z

Holy crap guys, when I put the fluid in the pipes and let the engine idle it sounded like it was choking LOL.. I slowly gas'd it and OMG it was SMOKE galore.... all the nasty sutt that was sitting in there just came out filled like my whole yard.. but now the throttle responce is way better and more pick up... I highly recommend this to anyone.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2001, 08:28 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Which fluid and which pipe did you use?
Old 04-10-2001, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by maximumsport
Holy crap guys, when I put the fluid in the pipes and let the engine idle it sounded like it was choking LOL.. I slowly gas'd it and OMG it was SMOKE galore.... all the nasty sutt that was sitting in there just came out filled like my whole yard.. but now the throttle responce is way better and more pick up... I highly recommend this to anyone.

Thanks
I remember reading the directions for that somewhere. Can you help me out? Do you know which website it was?
Old 04-10-2001, 09:35 PM
OG

Just how noticable is this? I was thinking about doing this, but I wasn't sure if it make a biug difference or not...
Old 04-10-2001, 09:56 PM

im interested to, what'd you use, where'd ya get it, how'd you do it, and how muchdid it cost? thanks
Old 04-11-2001, 04:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

are you talking about this?

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~cchiu1/steamclean.html
?????????????
Old 04-11-2001, 05:40 AM
99silvermax

WATER?

Who has done the water thing? For some reason, this just sounds BAD for the engine.

Old 04-11-2001, 05:59 AM
Lives in a 350Z

No

Not, the steam clean... an Injector clean man... the metal pipes against the wall of the engine.. I disconnected the hoses and used another hose and sticked it in the pipes and the other in the fluid and started the car... it then sucked the fluid from the can into the injectors the car sounded like it was struggling to start but thats normal for it to suck.. then I let it idle for 3 mins and slowly gas'd it and there was like black smoke coming out of the exhaust all the old sutt it was crazy it started to come out little then alot! for about 5 mins I rev'd until nothing came out. Thats about it I took it around the block and was surprised on how much more preformace I got out of it.. more HP, quicker response, more fuel economy.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:28 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: No

Not, the steam clean... an Injector clean man... the metal pipes against the wall of the engine.. I disconnected the hoses and used another hose and sticked it in the pipes and the other in the fluid and started the car... it then sucked the fluid from the can into the injectors the car sounded like it was struggling to start but thats normal for it to suck.. then I let it idle for 3 mins and slowly gas'd it and there was like black smoke coming out of the exhaust all the old sutt it was crazy it started to come out little then alot! for about 5 mins I rev'd until nothing came out. Thats about it I took it around the block and was surprised on how much more preformace I got out of it.. more HP, quicker response, more fuel economy.
Post som epics or give more specific instructions...I still have no idea what you are talking about?
Old 04-11-2001, 06:52 AM

What product did you use. I use to the Mega Power FISC. It was a 3 bottle cleaner. Gas tank, crank case, and a vacuum line. This worked and produced a lot of smoke and it stunk.

Another good product is the 3M cleaner. This take a bit more time, you are also suppose to remove the throttle body and clean that as well. This is the best i ahve used. This too is like the 3 bottle cleaner.

Also, a racer's tip i got a while back. Use a cup of trans fluid in a vacuum line and that is supose to work great. THere is special chemicals in the trans fluid that cleans up the carbon and gunk. Ever wonder why a trans looks spanking new when you dorp the pan and you have over 100k miles? Its b/c of the chemicals in the fluid that keep it so clean.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:53 AM

So you disconnected a hose on the intake and let the engine suck up the fluid. Which hose specifically did you disconnect and what fluid did you use?
Old 04-11-2001, 06:59 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I'm not clear on this procedure either.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:05 AM

Bad idea

Originally posted by Synki
... Also, a racer's tip i got a while back. Use a cup of trans fluid in a vacuum line and that is supose to work great. THere is special chemicals in the trans fluid that cleans up the carbon and gunk. Ever wonder why a trans looks spanking new when you dorp the pan and you have over 100k miles? Its b/c of the chemicals in the fluid that keep it so clean.
Bad idea.

It is true that detergents in ATF keep the tranny internals clean, but remember that ATF is recirculated and not burned. Therefore the manufacturers have no concern about the residue from burning ATF. Your proposed (mis)use of ATF burns it in the engine. The residue may cause problems with Oxygen Sensors and Catalytic converter.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:59 AM

From this site: http://www.motorage.com/edindex/0600pg032.htm

"The most common method for cleaning injectors in the shop without removing them is to run the engine on a very powerful cleaning solvent supplied through the fuel rail from a separate fuel tank. Probably the simplest set-up for this is a hose that connects to the engine side of the fuel supply and return lines, forming a closed loop. Through a service port in this hose, another hose is connected to a canister containing the cleaning solvent. The canister is pressurized with shop air and the engine is run on the cleaning solvent until it's gone and the engine stalls. This equipment is available from several tool companies with a variety of accessories, but probably the most useful accessory is another hose that loops the fuel tank side of the supply and return lines together. By short-circuiting the fuel system like this, the engine can be run without disconnecting power to the fuel pump, which may set a code on some cars. There also is more sophisticated equipment that replaces the pressurized canister with a machine that includes a pump, gauges, regulators and, on some, a cleaning solvent reservoir. These machines can be easier to use on a greater variety of fuel systems, even diesels, and usually include testing and diagnostic capabilities either built-in or available as accessories. These machines also can be expensive, so the decision to buy one will be based at least partially on how many injector-cleaning jobs your shop performs. For most shops, this shouldn't be a problem. Older cars, city cars or cars that idle for extended periods are the most likely candidates, and the results can be dramatic."

Now, what seems to be described, in the original post, was introducing a solvent into the intake manifold via a vacuum line. This is a standard proceedure for decarbonizing the intake manifold, valves and combustion chamber. There are special products sold for this purpose (GM, Mazda and maybe even Nissan). They do something different, but are very usefull for what they do.

ATF should not be introduced directly into a modern engine. Chevron's cleaner, with Techron, or Mavel Mystery Oil added to the gas, per the instructions, are also ok, and will help keep things clean.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks
Maximumsport, I would really like to know what you used because I definitely need to do something. I just clicked 70000 and it is probably time I did something.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:43 AM

MAXIMUM SPORT:

Now im completely confused what to do!
Please post a list of directions here in this post so that we all can benifit from this cleaning process.
thanks,
Ant
Old 04-11-2001, 01:54 PM

Come on Maximimumsport....

Give some real directions on how you performed this injector cleaning. I wanna do this, I'm gonna tune up my ride this weekend.

(whats up GT, man you slippin' boy!)

Hollah back-
Old 04-11-2001, 04:15 PM

Re: are you talking about this?

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~cchiu1/steamclean.html
?????????????
Thanks for the link!
Old 04-11-2001, 05:22 PM

Re: Bad idea

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Bad idea.

It is true that detergents in ATF keep the tranny internals clean, but remember that ATF is recirculated and not burned. Therefore the manufacturers have no concern about the residue from burning ATF. Your proposed (mis)use of ATF burns it in the engine. The residue may cause problems with Oxygen Sensors and Catalytic converter.
Mr. Martin what is your opinion on this "steamclean" procedure? I'm hesitant to do it since I've never known water to be a good thing to get sucked up into the engine. And what about the use of solvents? I can understand using ATF would leave a residue but wouldn't some of these solvents also leave a residue? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:06 PM

Re: Re: Bad idea

Originally posted by Ravq
Mr. Martin what is your opinion on this "steamclean" procedure? I'm hesitant to do it since I've never known water to be a good thing to get sucked up into the engine. And what about the use of solvents? I can understand using ATF would leave a residue but wouldn't some of these solvents also leave a residue? Thanks in advance.
Some people swear this treatment makes their engine run better... but, then, some people swear their cars run better right after they wash/wax them. It might be real. It might be self-delusion.

What makes you think that the inside of your engine is dirty? What makes you think that your engine would run any better if it were clean?

Scientists call this "a solution in search of a problem." In other words, it cures a disease that nobody has.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Bad idea

Some people swear this treatment makes their engine run better... but, then, some people swear their cars run better right after they wash/wax them. It might be real. It might be self-delusion.

What makes you think that the inside of your engine is dirty? What makes you think that your engine would run any better if it were clean?

Scientists call this "a solution in search of a problem." In other words, it cures a disease that nobody has.
Sort of a "Confucious says..." answer but I get your point!
Old 04-11-2001, 06:42 PM

Re: Re: Bad idea

... I can understand using ATF would leave a residue but wouldn't some of these solvents also leave a residue? ...
Perhaps I didn't give a complete answer to your question in my previous post.

It depends on which solvent is used. Consider that gasoline is a wonderful solvent. It dissolves tar and grease readily. It burns with almost no residue.

I am skeptical about the value of this "steam cleaning" because it seems to be a remedy for no known problem.

It is a good idea to ask questions such as...
- What problem does my car have which might be cured by this treatment?
- On what scientific principle does this treatment work? Black Magic? Voodoo? Not good enough!
- How will I be able to measure the improvement?
- Will the value of the improvement be larger than the cost of the treatment?
Old 04-11-2001, 07:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Bad idea

Perhaps I didn't give a complete answer to your question in my previous post.

It depends on which solvent is used. Consider that gasoline is a wonderful solvent. It dissolves tar and grease readily. It burns with almost no residue.

I am skeptical about the value of this "steam cleaning" because it seems to be a remedy for no known problem.

It is a good idea to ask questions such as...
- What problem does my car have which might be cured by this treatment?
- On what scientific principle does this treatment work? Black Magic? Voodoo? Not good enough!
- How will I be able to measure the improvement?
- Will the value of the improvement be larger than the cost of the treatment?
Hmmm...interesting.
You bring up some valid questions and I can see your point. "If it ain't broke then don't fix it!" I also feel that the "steamcleaning" may benefit some people. Maybe people with higher mileage or those who run their cars through extreme conditions and environments. Can't possibly explain what I mean exactly but I guess the theory is that if there is a lot of carbon deposit or so-called soot in the "pipes" that could be partially stopping them up then flushing it out could maximize the flow. Seem logical?? It would be hard to tell or measure any benefit so it may just be psychological benefit. Thanks for the opinion.
As for the solvents, what about throttle body/carb cleaners? I assume they were designed to burn up completely?
Old 04-11-2001, 07:32 PM

Deposits in the intake manifold and on the back of the intake valves disrupt/block air flow, and decrease power. Deposits in the cumbustion chamber (head/piston crown) increase compression and introduce hot spots that cause detonation. The engine works better without the junk.
Getting rid of it with water (works even better with alcohol mixed in) works to an extent, because the temperature in the combustion chamber is probably lowered to the point that not all the gas burns and the gas and alcohol can wash it away. Products, like the one that BG has, than uses equipment to intorduce a solvent "fog" into the intake manifold probably works a lot better.
Using synthetic oil (fewer light hydrocarbons that find there way into the intake via the PCV and EGR), good, high detergent gas and periodic cans of fuel cleaner with Techron can greatly reduce the the build up of deposits in the first place.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:42 PM

Fuel injector cleaners

... As for the solvents, what about throttle body/carb cleaners? I assume they were designed to burn up completely?
Yes. Clean fuel injectors do make a difference. A clean fuel injector delivers a spray of uniformly tiny fuel droplets. This facilitates complete combustion. An obstructed fuel injector delivers a distorted spray consisting of various size fuel droplets, some small, some large. The larger droplets do not vaporize completely and do not burn completely.

Consistent with the sense of the previous posts, I would use a fuel injection cleaner if there is a clear symptom of a need, but not on a routine preventive basis.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:54 PM

Re: Fuel injector cleaners

Yes. Clean fuel injectors do make a difference. A clean fuel injector delivers a spray of uniformly tiny fuel droplets. This facilitates complete combustion. An obstructed fuel injector delivers a distorted spray consisting of various size fuel droplets, some small, some large. The larger droplets do not vaporize completely and do not burn completely.

Consistent with the sense of the previous posts, I would use a fuel injection cleaner if there is a clear symptom of a need, but not on a routine preventive basis.

So would this "steamclean" procedure be the same as adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner like Techron into your fuel tank?
Old 04-11-2001, 08:01 PM

Re: Re: Fuel injector cleaners

So would this "steamclean" procedure be the same as adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner like Techron into your fuel tank?
No. The Techron would go through the fuel injectors and clean them. The "steam clean" introduces water or solvent into the intake manifold. It doesn't pass through the injectors.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:01 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

No, steam cleaning, just cleans out the manifold...techron type stuff actually comes out of the injectors...cleaning them and never touching the manifold.
Old 04-11-2001, 09:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Fuel injector cleaners

No. The Techron would go through the fuel injectors and clean them. The "steam clean" introduces water or solvent into the intake manifold. It doesn't pass through the injectors.
Mr. Martin is 100% correct, the "steam clean" goes to intake manifold, which for older car (70K+) get gunk and some other deposit inside it, i believe what the guy actually perform in the beginning of this tread is this but instead of using water he used solvent ( probably manifold cleaning liquid prestone, shell, bp, etc)

Now to clean your injector you can only use special tools or injector cleaner liquid that you mix into your fuel.

I don't know how true "steam clean" stuff on ceston's site ( he got many helpful writings about max though), but my dealer said never attempt to use water into your internal engine component (water molecule is just to hard to be atomized and burned with air and fuel mixture) and it may cause problem with your engine, however some manifold cleaner are made from petroleum base and therefore get burned with your fuel-air mixture and won't cause problem.

Both me and my friends use both procedure (injector cleaner and manifold cleaner) to our car 89 prelude 170K, 92 integra GSR 130K and Accord 96 80K (victim of oldsmobile, and buy a maxima... woohoo), we got no problem all this time, and yes we actually do benefit from both procedure, just don't need to do it too often the solvent may actually eat up your rubber and sealant.

hopefully this will help to clear up some things

Hioe