4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Our factory brakes SUCK!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Tires are the key to good braking. Period. Summer performance rubber is far better at stopping than your typical all-season tire. IMO, the best "street" setup for the normal Maxima owner is:

1) A good set of performance street front pads ($30-70)
2) Front Brembo blank rotors ($45 each)
3) Motul fluid
4) Good tires

You'd be amazed at the difference in brake feel.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by TopElement
Yes, we have several vehicles that carry out the testing of all our products.
What kind of instrumented testing do you perform? Specifically.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by Dave B
IMO, the best "street" setup for the normal Maxima owner is:

3) Motul fluid
4) Good tires

Come on Dave, you know that kind of setup doesn't cost enough to be any good...sheesh...
Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

Dunno Dave. How much hp is best for a "street" maxima? 200hp? 280hp? 350hp? Don't you think some of these boys should be upgrading the brakes as much as they upgrade their hp? And why not have big brakes? Huge stopping power never hurt anyone? Never can have too much hp or too much brake.

Originally Posted by Dave B
Tires are the key to good braking. Period. Summer performance rubber is far better at stopping than your typical all-season tire. IMO, the best "street" setup for the normal Maxima owner is:

3) Motul fluid
4) Good tires

Old 01-07-2005, 12:07 PM

my silvia is experiencing front break bias problems with the front supra kit and 13" rotors. the stock rears are absolutely dwarf size in comparison. i will either switch to Z32 brakes all around or try a higher mu rear pad. the pads are currently axis ultimate ceramic all around. does anyone know of a pad that has the highest coeficient of drag that i can use to add more rear brake bias? it's true. bigger is not necessarily better. better balance is better.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by VQdriver
my silvia is experiencing front break bias problems with the front supra kit and 13" rotors.
It's spelled b-r-a-k-e.

And this is a Maxima forum.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Maybe you missed it, even though you singled out that part of my post. I never typed "bigger is better."
I'm not trying to convince anyone our brake systems are the best, they speak for themselves.
You're still avoiding my question(s).
Old 01-07-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Maintained properly, the Maxiam has good brakes right from the factory.
You can upgrade to larger brakes, but you will not stop any faster then the rubber your running allows you to. Most people think bigger brakes will stop you faster but never think about the last thing that keeps you connected to the road, your tires. They play a huge role in your stopping power. Bottom line is if you can lock them up now, larger brakes will only lock up sooner.

If you track your car or are very hard on the brakes, upgrade to a performance pad and a slotted rotor to eliminate brake fade.
I agree with you. I replaced my fronts at 54,000 and when I did, the pads were 60% gone. The backs were replaced by me at 89,600, and they were probably 85% gone but due to age the pads were about to come off of the backing material. I would say the factory pads are darn good, that's why I replaced with OEM. Never, ever, any squeals. And I didn't even put in the new shims up front. All rotors are original and I have 101,200 now.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:56 PM
The Definitive AE Master

we also need to consider that 2000-2001 maxima run the 4th gen brake components but is overall a heavier vehicle. The stock brakes are insufficient in terms of performance from the factory. Yes rubber is the main component, but brake design in terms of pad size and clamping force also play a factor, which is definitely one area where our one piston calipers come in behind.

And another important factor: brake pedal travel and feel. Performance brake systems feature much more improved brake pedal feel and distance travel, which in turns give way to better performance with more responsive and predictable braking. Hence properly designed bbk's take into consideration a multitude of factors for the specific vehicle

I don't have any squeals or noises with my APs. I tend to disagree that tracking the car with only upgraded pads and rotors would reduce fade by much. Your still using the same surface area and volume of the stock rotors with a more aggressive compounds for the pads which would heat them up quicker
Old 01-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
It's spelled b-r-a-k-e.

And this is a Maxima forum.
haha. if someone with useable knowledge could please provide input about the brake pad with the highest mu it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:00 PM

You're still avoiding my question(s).
Figures, my questions on why I never received my purchase from TopElement were never answered either...
Old 01-07-2005, 04:23 PM
SLOW

Am I the last one on the board to have just made the connection that TopElement = slammed95?
Old 01-07-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Am I the last one on the board to have just made the connection that TopElement = slammed95?
Yea your a little... late
Old 01-07-2005, 05:00 PM
SLOW

Well I knew that they were both affiliated with the company Top Element Tuning, and I had noticed they both had Enkei RPF1s, but I didn't realize they were the same guy until I saw some of the quoted messages in this thread quoting "slammed95" with TopElement's words. I was wondering where slammed95 had gone lol.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:50 PM

It has been thoroughly expleined to you many times. I believe through both PM's and AIM. We have tried to resolve the situation, but it's out of our control. Again, you'll receive the parts as soon as it's possible.
I just received a PM... Hopefully all works out as planned.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nealoc187

which I find strange, I thought you would have been among the first
Old 01-07-2005, 06:03 PM

Maybe you missed it, even though you singled out that part of my post. I never typed "bigger is better."
I'm not trying to convince anyone our brake systems are the best, they speak for themselves.
I quoted that exactly. You edited your post afterward. Myself and several other members saw the following:

We use the "better is better" philosophy
On a side note why not sponsor the board if you doing so much business on it? Blehmco has. It just seems like the right thing to do . You are clearly quoting posts from a privileged forum, which is against forum rules.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone

which I find strange, I thought you would have been among the first
Holy crap your a mod now? oh my... No more VQ vs VE battles anymore...

Even if I win I might have a mysterious vacation...

Congrats!

VQ > VE 4Eva
Old 01-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Unless I'm missing something very obvious, i have no idea what you're reffering to. I said "better is better", and your telling me i said "better is better." Same exact thing, i don't see where the discrepancy is. I didn't edit my post, i simply deleted the old one to remove a separate sentence, which i decided shouldn't be posted for good reason, yet a mod decided to bring it back to stir things up.
I appologize, I mis-read that . I still do not understand when you said..
However, you gotta get over your "f/r bias" issue that you seem to bring up in every thread now that you upgraded the rears. It may feel better in a straight line, but try it on a high speed sweeper or on a road course, and you'll probably spin out.
It sounds like you are saying that because Jeff upgraded his rear bias to bring it back to stock, that he will be more likely to spin out on a road course, which does not make sense to me.
I have inquired several times about sponsoring the forums, but with no intent to advertise. Basically just a large donation, but no response was received. So, i have donated through other members, which is why I have access to the forum you speak of.
I just did not see you on the sponsers list . However, donating or not, there is still a clear violation of the forum rules.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:03 PM
SLOW

Well I thought I recognized the user name TopElement from before, when slammed95 was still being used, but obviously I am wrong about that. Oh well, now I know.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:46 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Didn't the leftmost sig pic put you on the scent Neal? I love that pic and its one of a kind. I was confused for a while too.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Always sunny in philly

Old 01-08-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm needing a caw

I fail to see any sort of personal attack, it was a broad statement.
No personal attacks? Here is a statement by you: Posting under Patrick's sn. And it's clear that you knew you were doing it as you refered to TET in the 3rd party numerous times:

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Weak sauce.
You should get a real kit from TET with AP Racing brakes. .

Here is another reference bad mouthing the Cobra rotors. Even though Neal has tracked his rotors with absolutely no problems. And since they come factory on 300hp+ cars that have to backed by a factory warranty..

Cobra rotors are a joke.

I don't recall ever even trying to sell one of our brake systems,
Oh no?? Again under Patrick's sn:

You should get a real kit from TET with AP Racing brakes.

or saying that you should use them just because they can be found on the leading teams in all motorsports categories.
Really???

How about this?

:You should get a real kit from TET with AP Racing brakes. Used by 95% of the JGTC cars.

Yes, you have "hounded" me about this. If you're in such urgent need of some data, why not contact the masters at Stoptech? They apperently know everything since they use Brembo calipers, yet try to pass them off as their own, and hype up rotors they don't even make.
Does it make their points less valid??? No it doesn't.

Here's a quote regarding Brembos and AP:

Originally Posted by Cattman
Its not a matter of "trying" to make the Brembos look better than the AP brakes, because they are.

Brembo owns AP and the AP calipers and rotors are a second tier brand. The most significant differences between the AP and Brembo kits include:

1. The Brembo kits are completely engineered and manufactured for the specific application by Brembo. The AP kits include Brembo's generic AP calipers and rotors, but Stillen assembles all the other kit pieces (I'm referring to the AP kits sold by Stillen, but whomever is putting them together, they're only getting the calipers and rotors from AP) - hats and brackets are made by a Stillen subcontractor, i.e. an unknown third party - so the kitcomponents have not been integrated by the same party (Brembo) and I think that matters. The kit lacks Brembo's comprehensive design capabilities, and I would not have the same faith in a third-party's quality control process that I would in a kit totally designed and fabricated by Brembo. These are brakes after all, your life depends on them, why take any chances? I would note that Stillen didn't design the braking system you refer to on the Ferrari - if they use the 6-piston AP caliper, there would still be some very sophisticated design/engineering talent applied to that system that is not involved with the Maxima AP kit sold by Stillen.

This matters, and the difference is made evident by the feedback I get from customers who buy them. Great pedal feel and balanced front/rear proportioning seems to be the universal response from Brembo GT owners. This is not the reaction I hear from owners of many other brands. They are plagued by vague pedal feel, and proportioning issues between the new front big brakes and the stock rears - no one mentions these issues with the Brembo kits.

2. I don't know if this has changed, but AP has traditionally used a fixed system, but the Brembo rotors are floating to prevent internal tensions from the differential heat expansion between steel/iron and aluminum, which is a significant advantage.

3. As far as pad size goes, the key factor is the torque available to press them against the rotor, and that's a function of piston area. Brembo's 4 piston F50 caliper has a 10% torque advantage over the AP 6 piston caliper (55.5 cm2 VS 50.1 cm2).

4. The rotor material on the Brembo GTs is superior (more durable and better heat dissipation) to the AP rotors, obviously a key factor.

5. Parts availability (and backup in case a liability issue arises) - Brembo has been around for 35 years and is a $500M/year company.

6. I don't know if if this is a difference between the two brand names or not, but Brembo also mentions that their brakes will not affect the factory warranty, and they have a lifetime warranty against defects (and they don't get claims).

Brembos are more expensive, but they remain a good value for anyone who demands the best, particularly at this sale price. In this case, you really do get what you pay for.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Obviously you are well versed in the field of brakes, yet you still question hard facts. The biggest issue about braking power centers around the most important issue in braking: release. That you can "lock them up anytime I want" is NOT a good test of a braking system. Quite the opposite. The real issue in performance braking is not the ultimate clamping force, but release and how quickly and precisely you can take the force OFF the rotors to keep that knife edge of balance of grip. That's why six-piston calipers are more precise than four-piston ones, given the same installation design. We have a 6 piston and a 4 piston caliper that use the same piston volume, therefore increasing precision, while maintaining the same fluid displacement. The result translates into lots more finesse. Going back to the number of pistons and why it's important, piston calipers equal more braking force controllability, which equals greater ability to feather your brakes. ABS on some maximas make this even more useful. I have shown customers how the ABS pulsing is nearly imperceptible, compared to the harsh pedal-pounding felt with stock or other calipers. Also, I'll point out that our radial-mount calipers enhance this intent compared to lug-mount calipers, but some wheel configurations don't allow for radial mount, and lug-mounts are definitely less expensive. First, because the radial mounts that are perpendicular to the diameter of the rotor allow for more leeway in where/how you need to mount them, and second, because the wider the gap between the mounts, the stiffer the caliper. Most of the calipers we use have a 152mm (6"), which again affects how evenly the clamping force is delivered to the pad.
You keep going on about braking in a corner. Well this is a very limited situation unless you are racing. So I will say that in racing we will take you points as valid for the sake of argument (although I still disagree how having overly mismatched frt/rear bias brakes helps anything) So if what you say is true, then whom ever has your setup can only benefit in these very limited racing situations. situations that we will almost never see in daily street driving. I/Matt/Stoptech and numerous other bbk makers stress street driving where the biggest braking would be an aggressive straight line stop or entering a turn. Or an emergency stop.

And to continue another point(s)

Again under Patricks name: Note 3rd party reference

BTW, upgrading the rears won't do much. Confirmed by the gurus at TET.

If this the case, then why are you developing a rear bbk as we speak?

Whole thread for reference:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=cobra+bbk
Old 01-08-2005, 01:12 AM
Loved by MrGone longtime

Old 01-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Former Sponsor

AP is owned by brembo??

and how come AP Racing is the choice of professional racers? JGTC, F1, Stock Cars among others? How would they be the choice of professionals if they are old inferior brembo designs?

just not sure I understand where that came from, from what I know AP is an independent 30yr old company based in coventry england... even if it was owned by brembo, if they were inferior, why would everyone use them?
Old 01-08-2005, 04:55 AM

Well I don't have any real issues with my brakes that would justify an upgrade. If anything on these cars need upgraded it would be the intake and starter.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Armelius
Well I don't have any real issues with my brakes that would justify an upgrade. If anything on these cars need upgraded it would be the intake and starter.
I agree with you on the brakes. IMHO they are a status symbol--people like to have their calipers show through their rims. Everybody knows they spent over a grand maybe two on the upgrade, but does that make sense on a car with a 5350 trade-in value? Not to me, but to some it does. Why not put 6-piston calipers on the front and 4-piston on the back then, that would be the ultimate for a car that has below avg. handling to being with. See how many people would be willing to work on your brake system with those--not your local Midas shop they're not bonded for that costly of a system....
Old 01-08-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

A good bbk system would benefit a maxima more than an intake would

Old 01-08-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
A good bbk system would benefit a maxima more than an intake would

Probably not mine. My intake is all ratty and deteiorated. If anything I would like to do to my brakes is add stainless steel lines. For the money of a brake upgrade I could probably get an engine rebuild and/or a y-pipe.

I keep looking at my '87 pathfinder intake and wonder how come they couldn't put a similar cold air intake stock. The air boxes sure take up a lot of real estate in the engine compartment and it's cheap ole plastic.

To topelement: No, I don't drive like a race car driver on the road. I stay at least two seconds behind the car in front of me and there are always people pulling in front of me to get in my lane so they can tailgate. I used the brakes in the snow going downhill (ice) not fun. Sometimes it felt like there was a problem with the brakes. My car with 240k miles getting 27.6 mpg doesn't seem like it needs the brake upgrade. Would much rather wait until the engine or automatic transmission goes then replace or fix that.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:23 AM

so is upgrading the rear pads to a higher coefficient set a valid theory to adjust brake balance slightly?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

Oh... I guess I wasn't in on the joke. Looks like a serious enough of a conversation to me.

Jeff: Those quotes under Pat's SN are taken out of context. It's an inside joke about conversations we had when he was down here. Not at all serious.

For those who say stock maxima brakes are fine, you probably don't drive like many other people who mod their cars. I suppose some brakes may be regarded as status symbols, but if they perform as great as they do, what's wrong with that?

But I've been wrong all along. My brake systems suck and all brakes are the same. Game over.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

I read that Matt93se played around with different rear pads to try to get more bias in the back. I for one was lucky enough to just be able to run a 1" larger rear rotor and a custom bbk bracket. Matt93se also has developed a custom bbk for the 4-5th gen guys.

I will guess that even though you could get the rears to bit slightly more with different pads, I doubt it would make that large of a difference vs a rear bbk setup.

so is upgrading the rear pads to a higher coefficient set a valid theory to adjust brake balance slightly?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:18 AM

I read that Matt93se played around with different rear pads to try to get more bias in the back. I for one was lucky enough to just be able to run a 1" larger rear rotor and a custom bbk bracket. Matt93se also has developed a custom bbk for the 4-5th gen guys.

I will guess that even though you could get the rears to bit slightly more with different pads, I doubt it would make that large of a difference vs a rear bbk setup.
yea, i noticed that matt93se developed a Z32 rear brake kit. he even developed a functioning ebrake drum from scratch. i wonder if such a kit could be retrofitted to my s13. non of the rwd people have made a fuss about it. perhaps the reason is because the few who have rear Z32s also have the ebrake drum and all that's left to do is graft the ebrake cables. usually it's an improvised job to get the ebrake to work. in my case, the ebrake also needs to be tough enough for certain drifting maneuvers.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:59 AM
CaLSoNiC

I dunno bout you but I got 125K miles on my original rotors...

Old 01-10-2005, 04:31 AM

That is a good question. All I know is rear brakes on front wheel drive cars get used a lot less than the front brakes. If you are using them less wouldn't it make more sense just to upgrade the fronts if you were inclined to do something like that?

Like I said I wouldn't do it. I could use a purchase of air tools more than brakes. Sure makes putting up a new roof a lot easier after a hurricane.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:06 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

What data do you want? Would you like me to scan notepads with jottings of track evaluation results? Post CFD, stress and structural analysis software, and thermal distribution software screenhots with our own private data? Upload files with formulas and outcomes from the laptop? No.
Yes. Actually, if you could post ANY of that stuff (along with, perhaps, a picture of your BME Degree), that would be very helpful.

Any time you're ready...
Old 01-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Read the post that contains info about proper brake bias.

That is a good question. All I know is rear brakes on front wheel drive cars get used a lot less than the front brakes. If you are using them less wouldn't it make more sense just to upgrade the fronts if you were inclined to do something like that?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Get a reply yet??

Yes. Actually, if you could post ANY of that stuff (along with, perhaps, a picture of your BME Degree), that would be very helpful.

Any time you're ready...
Old 01-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Get a reply yet??
Surprisingly, no.

I was looking for that tumbling tumbleweed .gif to insert here...
Old 01-12-2005, 11:09 AM

i agreee the stock brakes suck. i dont have abs, and i have to like push the pedal down 1/4 way b4 its sticks. so i upgrade to front brembo rotors, and generic rear rotors, with akebono f/r pads. its alright, but its squeals alot. i think it squeals because of the rear rotors.........they suck. im juss gonna wait till i get some $$$$ to get the rear brakes from matt blehm....max

Quick Reply: Our factory brakes SUCK!!