4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1997 Maxima VS 1997 Eclipse GSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 08:00 PM

I know I have posted a lot of these lately so if you want me to stop just tell me. For those of you who have been reading my last post about the Honda and that whole story know that they now want me to race a 1997 GSX Eclipse. I might have to decline on this race since he will probably smoke me since I have no mods other than a K&N filter which wont really help. What do you guys think? Im 3-0 Vs these guys and dont really want to lose now because Id never hear the end of it. Should I decline or do you guys think I have a chance at all. THe Eclipse just has the stock turbo and nothing else. Let me know what you guys think. Maybe Ill just wait till I get my mods done and then race him. Thanks
Old 04-11-2001, 08:07 PM

OH and incase you dont know I have an Automatic 97 GXE.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:10 PM

Don't do it man! Quit while you're ahead. Those GSXs are fast!
Old 04-11-2001, 08:17 PM
ybelm620

NOOOOOO!!!!!

do not do it to your self because you will be embarassed. that eclipse gsx is all wheel drive so he will kill you in the corners and that stock turbo he has is making 210 hp stock to your automatic 190 hp maxima.its lighter, faster, and was desined for situations that you ar ein mow. i wanted one of those, because you can really do some work to them. anyway do not race him if you want to remain 3-0

Old 04-11-2001, 08:25 PM

Interesting, cause I might go up to the track this friday with a few friends. One of them has a GSX as well. He mighta upped the boost on the turbo too. Not only do they have 210 HP, they have 215 ft lb @ 3000 RPM. He's got AGX as well. I havent run my mouth around at all cause I know that he's most likely faster then I am and he will have no traction problems. Damn do I need a supercharger!
Old 04-11-2001, 08:28 PM

Re: NOOOOOO!!!!!

THanks for the replys guys. I know those things are fast because a buddy of mine used to have that exact model and it was fast as hell. I didnt think I would was going to race it I just wanted to hear what you guys thought. That Supercharged Maxima I talked about earlier beat the GSX by about 3 Car Lengths. I dont know a lot of details about the race though. That has nothing to do with my car though because the Supercharged Maxima would SMOKE me!!!!! Its all good though I already beat 3 of their cars so ill leave them with a bitter taste in their mouths. I have never gotten myself into a race that I didnt think I would win before and I dont plan on starting now. Thanks for the input and more input is sure welcome. Take Care
Old 04-11-2001, 09:20 PM

I had a 90 Eclipse Turbo, not AWD, the FWD version. I raced with my brother's 97SE 5-speed and took him every time. Not by much but those Eclipse are quick.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:08 PM

Ok so now that we know that the GSX Eclipse would smoke a stock Maxima lets talk about what a Max would need to beat the Eclipse. Other than a Supercharger and NOS is there anything else that will make the Maxima fast enough to beat the GSX or GST Eclipse? Let me know what you all think! Take Care
Old 04-11-2001, 11:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SB97MAX
Ok so now that we know that the GSX Eclipse would smoke a stock Maxima lets talk about what a Max would need to beat the Eclipse. Other than a Supercharger and NOS is there anything else that will make the Maxima fast enough to beat the GSX or GST Eclipse? Let me know what you all think! Take Care
take out the doors, hood, trunk, Cat, muffler, bumper, etc. so u will have an hp gain and a major weight loss. =) j/k

well, intake and exhust dun do much.....turbo is the next thing I can think of. But overweighting problem is still there. Super charge might get u to 290hp (according to a friend in this business)... but FR and auto will still lag u down.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:13 PM

Qustion for you. ANd I really mean this im not being a smart ***. IF INtake and exhaust dont do much then why does everyone do it? You said get turbo, I didnt think there was a turbo kit for the Maxima. How much would it cost to get the Custom Turbo kit(just curious) So pretty much your saying the Maxima's wont beat the Eclipse without SC or NOS? Take Care and let me know what you think. Im bored and not tired since I took a 3 hour nap today.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:37 PM

All the plumbing HELPS but it wont make that much of a difference

Having a S/C/Turbo/giggle gas will help out a lot BUT you will need to do the plumbing. Imagine sucking in air and blowing air out through the straw. Imagine you are either a normal joe or an olympic swimmer. Will it help? YES regardless of weather you have /C/Turbo/giggle gas or NA. Get the picture? The reason (in my mind) that everyone does the plumbing first instead of all at once...is $$$$ do you have 6k to dump at once?
Old 04-11-2001, 11:57 PM

Stock they are not THAT fast. I don't understand why everyone thinks that they are so fast. GSX's are consistant 7 sec 0-60 cars. My friend has an almost stock 97 GS-T....and I pull hard on him above 60mph. And yes, intake and exhaust mods do A LOT for your top end. I can take cars up top that I would NEVER have been able to take stock.

You can DEFINITELY beat an Eclipse without S/C or NOS. I'm not saying that your auto max will win. But they are not THAT fast. BTW is the GSX auto or stick...cuz if he's auto...you'll have a really good chance of beating him. I had a friend when I went to school in Florida who had an AUTO GSX...and it was a DOG off the line. like slower than a Civic EX. Major turbo lag in the autos.
Old 04-12-2001, 12:05 AM

Qustion for you. ANd I really mean this im not being a smart ***. IF INtake and exhaust dont do much then why does everyone do it? You said get turbo, I didnt think there was a turbo kit for the Maxima. How much would it cost to get the Custom Turbo kit(just curious) So pretty much your saying the Maxima's wont beat the Eclipse without SC or NOS? Take Care and let me know what you think. Im bored and not tired since I took a 3 hour nap today.
In-take and exhaust are the quickest and cheapest way to gain some power. Even though it doesnt raise that much of hp....but it does increase engine response. Like u mentioned u have K&N filter and if u replace it with a stock one, u prob can tell the difference. Same thing, cone filter provides for surface area for air intake. more air is filtered into ur engine. Some ppl even go for cold air intake where cold air is more dense while hot air molecules tend to bounce and expand a lot. With CAI, more air is filtered into ur engine and more combusion is created.

Turbo charge is not availabe here that is right.....and I dunno how much a custom one would be. Super charge might have a chance....but I dun think an atuo tranny can handle that much power. (some ppl in 5th gen forum post about certain kind of work is required for auto tranny to be equipped with SC)

Racing a stock Max with a stock GSX is unfair to me. Two cars are designed for different purposes. But I wont say that u will never have a chance....everybody has his good day and bad day. Maybe race him when he has a big time headache or a bad cold? =)
Old 04-12-2001, 12:10 AM

I dont think the GSX's are extremelly fast at top end either because my friend that had one always beat people off the line but then ended up losing the race at the end. I know I can keep up with them past 60 because on the INterstate the other day I pulled really hard on a GSX from 60-90 I stayed about a car length ahead of him the whole time. And to Party_Boy, I know that you need the intake and exhaust with the SC and the NOS I was just replying to the post that said they dont do much with a question to him about If they dont do much then why dont you just save your money? Thats what I meant, I know you need them to run the SC or the NOS.And in my opinion they help a lot from what I can tell. My buddies Max was a lot faster after he replaced his stock Intake/Exhaust. Take Care
Old 04-12-2001, 12:23 AM

I dont think the GSX's are extremelly fast at top end either because my friend that had one always beat people off the line but then ended up losing the race at the end. I know I can keep up with them past 60 because on the INterstate the other day I pulled really hard on a GSX from 60-90 I stayed about a car length ahead of him the whole time. And to Party_Boy, I know that you need the intake and exhaust with the SC and the NOS I was just replying to the post that said they dont do much with a question to him about If they dont do much then why dont you just save your money? Thats what I meant, I know you need them to run the SC or the NOS.And in my opinion they help a lot from what I can tell. My buddies Max was a lot faster after he replaced his stock Intake/Exhaust. Take Care
GSX is not that fast at high end b/c of the limitation of 4 cylinder engine.

I dun think u need intake if u equipped with SC...SC will become ur intake and pack air for ya.

here is a link about SC, intake, etc.
https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/33321-mounting-neons.html
Old 04-12-2001, 12:31 AM

I agree. Im not ever going to get a Supercharger though just because im not looking to make that drastic of an imrpovement. Im not a hardcore racer i just want a little bit more kick in my car, which im sure you can understand. Im not even considering a SC or NOS. Mostly just Conversation. Im not going to race the GSX from a stop maybe from 50-90 or somethin like that, the other thing is I might sound like a pu$$y for this but I dont like racing at really high speeds, one move and your dead. I have seen to many bad accidents to do what some people say they do and weave in and out of traffic on the Interstate at 120mph. IMHO thats just stupid. Take Care
Old 04-12-2001, 12:34 AM
SLOW

GSX

I cant remember ever seeing a stock GSX/GST/TSi run the 1/4, but i seem to remember reading that they run low 15s stock (5-speed). they are pretty heavy, about 3100 lbs. as a point of reference... an acquantaince of mine has a GSX automatic, 96, and we went to the track one day last spring (back when my civic was stock.) i ran 16.20@ 85.06 in my stock civic ex, he ran a 16.03 at about 87 those were our best times of the day... i remember cuz he had been mouthin off about how he was plannin on hittin 14s and crap. a friend with a civic si ran 16.04@ 88. so no they arent that fast stock (5 speed is faster of course.... and i think this guy might kinda suck as far as driving skill is concerned.) however just intake and exhaust makes a turbo car breathe much better, and can put them in 14s easy. so find out what you are dealing with ahead of time...

Neal
Old 04-12-2001, 10:51 AM

I'm sorry, but you will get smoked if you race that GSX. Especially, you don't have any major mods. Those turbo Eclipses are pretty fast. Even if it's stock, all the Eclipse owner need to do is to buy a boost controller, and increase his boost. A friend of mine know this guy that has a '95 Eclipse GSX. He hasn't done much to it except for a Greddy exhaust and a boost controller. Even with that, he's fast as heck. That guy wants to race me, but I think even with my CAI and y-pipe, he'll crush me easily. Although, I'm not scare to race him, I'll race him for sure if given the chance. And his GSX is a 5spd. manual, while I have an auto. I didn't know that GSX came in an auto? If I have a 5spd., it might be closer. Yeah, those suckers are fast, and I'm almost got one too. I'm just not too sure about the realiability of those cars.
Old 04-12-2001, 11:06 AM

Cumalot, I know those cars are fast and have already decided not to race him. I agree with you on the reliability thing because the buddy of mine that had a 97 GSX had a ton of problems with his and only had 30K miles on it. It seemed like that thing was in the shop every couple of weeks. Thanks for the response and take Care
Old 04-12-2001, 01:02 PM

Why not...

Other than the unbeatable record, why not race him?

A stock GSX would probably just barely walk on you if he is a good driver and it is a stick. I have a friend who has a GSX and before the addition of a 16G turbo and boost controller among other mods I could stay with him for quite some time. Now he walks on me by several car lengths.

If you consider yourself a good driver and you know they aren't anything special I would try it...
Old 04-14-2001, 09:43 PM

Forgetting a really important MOD

A friend of mine that owns a Honda Civic told me that stickers make cars go faster as well. Each sticker can add up to 20hp (30hp on a cold day!).

:-)
Old 04-14-2001, 10:41 PM

I race this guy in a stock 5speed GSX 3 times->

back to back and I won 2 out of the 3 races. He got the jump on me all 3 times but I ran him down by the time we hit around 50MPH.The only reason he won 1 of the races is because we had to stop for the light when I was about to pass him. With a CAI and a ypipe you should be able to take a stock GSX. I also have a automatic
Jose
I agree. Im not ever going to get a Supercharger though just because im not looking to make that drastic of an imrpovement. Im not a hardcore racer i just want a little bit more kick in my car, which im sure you can understand. Im not even considering a SC or NOS. Mostly just Conversation. Im not going to race the GSX from a stop maybe from 50-90 or somethin like that, the other thing is I might sound like a pu$$y for this but I dont like racing at really high speeds, one move and your dead. I have seen to many bad accidents to do what some people say they do and weave in and out of traffic on the Interstate at 120mph. IMHO thats just stupid. Take Care
Old 04-15-2001, 01:05 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Um...GSX's are not that fast. I raced an Eagle Talon TSI
(turbo, AWD) which is essentially the same car. He beat me off the line till about 40 (my front bumper was side by side with his door, so not by much at all) and then I started to pull away, especially when I hit 3rd gear, all the way up until 115 MPH when I had to let off. He was about 5-7 car lengths behind me at that point, smoked!! The only reason he beat me off the line was b/c of his AWD. Also, I had no intake or exaust at that point, my car was bone stock. However, I don't think I would have won if my car was not a 5spd. Bottom line is those cars are not as fast as their owners make them out to be. Also, the engines in those cars compared to the VQ? Please......!

Old 04-15-2001, 08:21 AM

Racing a GSX

Wait a minute. Doesn't it really depend?? Not only do some GSXs come with AWD and some don't, as well as some with Autos and others stick. But, don't some GSXs not even have a turbo?? All they got going for them is the 16 valve 4 banger?? Mistsubishi tends to do that alot with their cars. Case in point, the 3000 GT SL is NOT the 3000 GT VR4, there's a world of difference, but on the outside they look exactly the same. It is only the little SL or VR4 badge on the back that give them away. Without it, no difference. So, if the GSX was a non-turbo but looked just like the others, which I have seen, there's only one way to find out what's really under the hood

DW
Old 04-15-2001, 08:30 AM
ybelm620

no

no, no , no i think all gsx's come awd and turboed. the gs is the one that comes with no turbo and awd , th e gs-t comes with turbo but no awd, and the gsx comes with everything

Old 04-15-2001, 10:30 AM

Austin I am not trying to be an a$$hole

But you must remember that my 220 pound a$$ was riding with Rich when you blew his doors off in 3rd, take me out you might have been beat but, of course I know and you know that our car will outlive his about 30 years. , anyway just thought I would throw that in on that one cause the weight difference is a huge deal in 4 cyl turbos as well as our v-6, I used to get ripped by everyone, well not everyone, when I had my 100 pound box in the car, but without it I have had a couple of good kills, a X5 4.4I, and an Audi TT (the faster one which is like 6.2 to 60) of course the Audi was a driver ability race, where as it takes no ability what so ever to get an X5 to pull 6.7 to 60 and I beat him all the way to 80 or so.

oh and Austin you need to race Rich now with your intake and exhaust, you will more than likely beat him now, I know I should beat him with my new y-pipe, but for some reason his damn car has to have a chip on it or something cause I drove his car and we blew the doors off a 1997 GSX

Just my two pennys

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE
Um...GSX's are not that fast. I raced an Eagle Talon TSI
(turbo, AWD) which is essentially the same car. He beat me off the line till about 40 (my front bumper was side by side with his door, so not by much at all) and then I started to pull away, especially when I hit 3rd gear, all the way up until 115 MPH when I had to let off. He was about 5-7 car lengths behind me at that point, smoked!! The only reason he beat me off the line was b/c of his AWD. Also, I had no intake or exaust at that point, my car was bone stock. However, I don't think I would have won if my car was not a 5spd. Bottom line is those cars are not as fast as their owners make them out to be. Also, the engines in those cars compared to the VQ? Please......!
Old 04-15-2001, 05:04 PM
OG

Raced a 96GSX last night and lost real bad.
Old 04-15-2001, 05:51 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Re: Austin I am not trying to be an a$$hole

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
But you must remember that my 220 pound a$$ was riding with Rich when you blew his doors off in 3rd, take me out you might have been beat but, of course I know and you know that our car will outlive his about 30 years. , anyway just thought I would throw that in on that one cause the weight difference is a huge deal in 4 cyl turbos as well as our v-6, I used to get ripped by everyone, well not everyone, when I had my 100 pound box in the car, but without it I have had a couple of good kills, a X5 4.4I, and an Audi TT (the faster one which is like 6.2 to 60) of course the Audi was a driver ability race, where as it takes no ability what so ever to get an X5 to pull 6.7 to 60 and I beat him all the way to 80 or so.

Just my two pennys

Jon, even though you were in the car it doesn't make that much of a difference...If your weight in his car caused me to beat him, it would have been by a very small margin, not the 6 car lengths it was. Also, remember after the race when you all tried to chase me down Gleason and Morrell and you flat out could not hang(like at all!)? Even down that hill? Anyways who cares my point just was that those cars are not as fast as their owners and some people think..

Old 04-15-2001, 08:19 PM

of course it would make a big difference in his car in 3rd because he has almost no go in 3rd in the first place, I am not trying to start a war but you past him when you and he hit 3rd gear, and a GSX has only 50 more pounds than the GST and that amounts to about .2 seconds by the book and you make that 50 pounds add up to 200 that is at least 1/2 to 1 sec off his 0-to-60. Like I said it would make a difference in that time but it would kill his 3rd gear time because he can't pull as well as we can in 3rd because he doesn't have the torque to do it or as I like to call it on our cars the magical 3rd gear. anyway all is good, because our car is better than his reliabilty wise but I think he would give you a run for your money without me being in the car and you being bone stock, you would still kill him in 3rd though that is why you blew the doors off of him in 3rd because of the extra weight and you know as well as I do that extra weight in a 4-banger turbo or not is a really big deal because they can't pull like our cars.
But like I said no reason to start a war I am just saying that weight makes a huge difference, and if you don't think so take out your spare tire back seat and passeger seat and go drive around for about an hour and you will tell a difference, cause when Trevor took all that **** out of his SI it made a huge difference in his car, but that is because non of them have a v-6 so anyway I am just rabling but it's all good. I get my y-pipe on Friday so I think I will put it on and go up to the drag strip on Sat. you up for going? It's only $15 bucks for 3 runs. Oh and I checked on the damn dyno its $50 for 3 runs.
Anyway give me a holla later