4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

codes 0302+0209+a little hesitaion for good measure

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

codes 0302+0209+a little hesitaion for good measure

So I checked the ECU codes since the CEL has been on for a couple weeks and I came up with 0302 (EGR HI-LOW FLOW) and 0209 (fuel injection system rich left bank). Anybody here experienced these codes and what did you have to replace to fix the problem??

A seperate problem i have is hesitation at partial throttle. The engine almost never pulls smoothly throughout the rev-range. It's starting to really **** me off. I hate it. These are the things i've eliminated as the culprits:

Air filter
Fuel filter
Fuel Pump
Knock sensor
Dirty TB
Spark plugs

One thing i haven't changed yet is the PCV valve. I know that it allows the crankcase vapors to escape but i was wondering if a malfunctioning valve would cause drivability issues. Could it be dirty fuel injectors?? Please help in any way you can. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Do I get a tax break?

The left bank rich could be a injector sticking open (check the plugs and see if any are carbon fouled)... or a bad O2 sensor (the one on that side of the y-pipe) could cause a rich-fuel mixture... my buddy's 97 popped a right-bank rich code... but it cleared itself in a day or two - even before I got to pull the plugs... in any case I pulled the plugs - they looked fine... and the code hasn't reappeared... strangely so (probably not coincidental) - he experiences hesitation and stalling too...
Old 10-14-2004, 10:12 AM

Hmmm...So do you think running an injector cleaner through there might fix the problem??
Old 10-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Do I get a tax break?

You could try it - my friend has tried everything and his car continues to behave the same (intermittent stalling, hesitation). I have replaced his IACV, spark plugs (NGKs), fuel filter, air filter, ECTS, PCV valve, cleaned his TB, checked for vacuum leaks and still the problem persists. (His O2 sensors were replaced 20k ago by the dealer). He has had it in the shop too many times - they've tried hooking up their scan tool to see the status of the various signals and ECU during the stall-outs and they still can't figure it out. The lastest theory is a broken harness wire... I know this was a problem in some 4th gens... but not sure what years that affected or whether the broken harness caused these driveability symptoms. He has no codes in the CEL.

Keep me updated with what you try... I have just picked up a used MAF from the classifieds to try as a last resort.... I wonder if the TPS can cause these problems?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:15 AM

I had 0302 (EGR hi/lo flow)..replaced EGR solenoid valve..problem went away...it's been 3 months now and code hasn't returned. After u fix this, the other code should go away.
also check last page on "how to" stickies.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas.

njmodi- My car rarely ever stalls out. Some times it just hesitates a little on acceleration. Other times the hesitation is severe. I'm gonna try to see if dirty injectors and the EGR code are to blame.

knight71- Hmmm...Sounds interesting but i dont wanna go blow 75 bux on something that hasn't been proven to be the problem. According to the A32 FSM the malfuntion is detected when "The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow is excessively low during the specified driving condition." Possible causes include:

EGR valve stuck closed
EGRC-BPT valve leaks
Vacuum hose
EGRC-solenoid valve
Tube leaking for EGR valve
EGR temperature sensor
Exhaust gas leak

I just wish i could narrow it down without taking it to the dealership.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:34 AM

Well...i kinda narrowed it down today. I went under the hood and revved the engine between 2K-4k RPM and the EGR valve didn't move at all. Either it's because it's stuck closed cus of all the darn carbon in there or it's not getting vacuum at all. But there's a wild-card in all of this. According to the FSM, a malfunctioning MAF will cause the ECU to not give the signal to the EGRC solenoid valve to open up the EGR valve. But i figure if it was an MAF issue I'd have the code for it, no??

Either way i guess the next step is to check the vacuum to the EGR valve. I'll keep you guys updated.

Mike
Old 10-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Good work so far... keep us posted.... I second the thought that if the MAF was malfunctioning you would have a CEL posted for it.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:12 AM

This code is a *****..my car drove like **** for a month..local mechanics couldnt figure this one out..Finally went to a dealer , and with all their high tech equiqment they found out EGR solenoid valve wasn't functioning.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by nismology
Well...i kinda narrowed it down today. I went under the hood and revved the engine between 2K-4k RPM and the EGR valve didn't move at all. Either it's because it's stuck closed cus of all the darn carbon in there or it's not getting vacuum at all. But there's a wild-card in all of this. According to the FSM, a malfunctioning MAF will cause the ECU to not give the signal to the EGRC solenoid valve to open up the EGR valve. But i figure if it was an MAF issue I'd have the code for it, no??

Either way i guess the next step is to check the vacuum to the EGR valve. I'll keep you guys updated.

Mike
A defective MAF would cause your RPM's to be limited to around 2000. The MAF is not your problem, the EGR is your problem. You can check the valve by applying vacuum to the line to see if you can get it to manually open. You can even just suck on a vacuum line attached to the EGR. Usually the diaphram cracks and leaks. You'll see that right away because you will not be able to get vacuum to hold at the valve. You'll just suck air through it.

Thats most likely causing your performance problems because the EGR operates at mid engine ranges - which is right where your having issues.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by knight71
This code is a *****..my car drove like **** for a month..local mechanics couldnt figure this one out..Finally went to a dealer , and with all their high tech equiqment they found out EGR solenoid valve wasn't functioning.
I'm almost there. Just need to know for sure. Right now it's one of 2 things. Either the EGR valve is getting vacuum and it's just stuck closed or it's not getting vacuum from the EGRC solenoid valve. Gonna go check the vacuum today. If vacuum isn't there, im replacing the solenoid valve.

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
A defective MAF would cause your RPM's to be limited to around 2000. The MAF is not your problem, the EGR is your problem. You can check the valve by applying vacuum to the line to see if you can get it to manually open. You can even just suck on a vacuum line attached to the EGR. Usually the diaphram cracks and leaks. You'll see that right away because you will not be able to get vacuum to hold at the valve. You'll just suck air through it.

Thats most likely causing your performance problems because the EGR operates at mid engine ranges - which is right where your having issues.
Hmmm...well what i was gonna do was check the vacuum hose coming from the EGRC solenoid valve. That's what gives the EGR valve vacuum when the ECU says to. If there's no vacuum from there at least I'll know that the solenoid valve is bad. The EGR valve itself might be bad too, but at least I would've narrowed it down even more. I'll check the EGR valve itself after that.

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:55 AM

Well i removed the vacuum hose to the EGR and tested it for vacuum between 2000-4000 RPM and there was none. So i figured there was no point it putting it back on and guess what... the car is running much better overall!!! Can't really say why though. I'm just gonna keep that hose off until i can get the EGR system cleaned and replace whatever component.