4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is taking off the entire dash to replace gauge bulbs too hard?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:35 AM

Is taking off the entire dash to replace gauge bulbs too hard?

I recently replaced the bulb that lights the auto tranny gear marker since it was burned. Couldnt quite figure out how to do it at first, but finally I got it. I have three questions:

The tranny gear indicator thing now lights up at least twice as brighter than the gauges. Is this normal, or should perhaps the gauge light up as bright as the auto stick?

Also, are there simple ways to make the gauge light up more original (such as a different color), while I'm at it? Do they make those bulbs in other colors?

Finally, I know that I have to pull out the entire front dash and I think even the steering wheel to replace those gauge bulbs. Have any of you guys had problems or difficulties doing that?
Old 10-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Thorby

Finally, I know that I have to pull out the entire front dash and I think even the steering wheel to replace those gauge bulbs. Have any of you guys had problems or difficulties doing that?[/FONT]
Where did you get this idea? You do NOT have to remove the steering wheel to replace any instrument cluster bulbs... why would you have to? they are not even connected...

There is a dimmer control to the right of the ignition that controls the brightness of the interior lights - play with that to control how bright the dash lights are (it will also affect other cabin lights).
Old 10-15-2004, 11:03 AM

Geez, I'm not dumb....

Some people just don't know what they're saying.

Yes, I have the interior light intensity dial all the way up. That has nothing to do with the tranny shift light being brighter than the gauge lights.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Finally, I know that I have to pull out the entire front dash and I think even the steering wheel to replace those gauge bulbs. Have any of you guys had problems or difficulties doing that?
Did I say this or you? Btw, I didn't assume you were dumb. Sometimes the easiest things are overlooked (e.g. the dimmer control)... good luck.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Do I get a tax break?

See post #6 in this thread for everything you ever wanted to know about the gauge cluster lighting and how to change it:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=254238
Old 10-15-2004, 11:32 AM

wow, you people are friggin idiots. HIS PROBLEM ISN'T THE DIMMER.

bro, your bulb just doesn't match the original ones. you either need to keep playin with them until you find one that matches, or just replace all of them at once with the same style/brand.

also - removing the cluster is very easy. look under the steering column. there's a metal plate - remove it. that gives you access to each side of the column, where you will find one nut on each side that holds the whole column up. once you remove that, the whole thing will drop down and out of your way. then, it's as simple as removing the phillips head screws visible in the cluster trim, removing the next few visible screws and pulling out the cluster.

hopefully that helps...i used the writeup on www.maximadriver.com back when it used to be up, now i can do it with no instructions so i hope my steps work for you - if not, look in haynes manual or similar.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ya man I replaced my gauge bulbs with blue 194 bulbs. It is easy to take out. I would suggest led bulbs for the gauge because they are the brightest. Good luck with it. I have a pic of my gauges on my website check it out. Page #3 on my site..
Old 10-15-2004, 12:52 PM

i cleared out my gauges i was wondering if i was the only one that found it a pain in the *** to get thoughs two plastic covers back on around the steering collum???
Old 10-15-2004, 01:38 PM

nope.. ur the only one. one thing to keep in mind is that plastic piece bends pretty easily. just dont over do it or it'll break.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:03 PM

I know theres a certin type of bulbs that leave bad hotspots, does anyone know which type?

do these inverted LEDS have hotspots?

Anyone with pictures of them in?
Old 10-20-2004, 06:24 PM

I could use pictures. Don't know what the heck you are all saying about getting access to the gauge lights, WITHOUT pulling out the entire dash from driverside to passenger sie.

Thanx....
Old 10-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Team Ramrod

depends on how u do it
Old 10-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it should take you no more then 20 min to do everything and close her up. The only problem is not to bed the plastic too much or it will break (happened to me). It doesnt take long at all. just having to do it sucks.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:47 PM

Oh, how informative! NOT! I meant that other guy... uhm... aw, forget it. I already found a link of stuff with pics.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:49 PM

do the inverted LEDs have hotspots??
Old 10-20-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrexx
do the inverted LEDs have hotspots??

Good question. Any fire hazards here?

Do I need to solder to install those LEDS? I'm going to start looking for plug-n-play LEDS just in case... How much do THOSE cost?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Thorby is either "mentally challenged" or just acting like he is. The inverted LEDs don't really have hot spots.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:11 PM

no fire hazards...plug and play...194 Leds are cheap @ www.autolumination.com
Old 10-20-2004, 07:11 PM

Oh, how informative! NOT! I meant that other guy... uhm... aw, forget it. I already found a link of stuff with pics.
Thorby, probably you might wanna share the link you found?
Thanks
Old 10-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Maybe if some of you lazy-***, numb nuts NooBS read the stickies, dumb-*** threads like this one wouldn't come up all the time.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:43 PM

the dimmer is by the rightside of the steering wheel

Old 10-21-2004, 12:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yea but everyone at some point has asked a question that didnt get answered just bashed on. It may seem stupid to most people because you know the answer is an easy one, but not to someone who doesnt know much at this point.
Anyone who says that they never asked a question that seemed dumb to others is a liar. Everyone was new at some point.
...But yes, a lot of information can be found in the stickys.

Oh yea, here is a good link.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Hooooooonda.....

That's a dumb thing to say since the stickies are there so that new people don't ask dumb questions or questions that have been asked a million times. What would be the point otherwise?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:58 PM

mentalic Chalencht? Me?

I didnt take note of the addy but it is within here. I think in some sticky or something.

Also, I think I have seen other threads where guys comment about those leds getting hot.

I'm gonna see if I can find some place in this city that sells them.... either that or just put some nice new white bulbs in.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:10 PM

Whoever is pissed at the topic of this thread.....well...

Don't OPEN IT, SHMUCKS!!!

Why the heck open a thread, read it, then be a smart-aleck claiming it is pointless? You still have read it.

Anyhow, even if it is an old topic... there will still be some interesting comments and suggestions that will not be found in stickies.

By the way... my friends has a 95 Stratus and hates his dash. Those guys don't even have an option to change the color without seriously changing their dash.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:25 PM

i have a gle, so i dont have the white guages. how do you think leds will look in there with a black face?
Old 10-21-2004, 01:44 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

ok this thread confused me, so ill answer some of the stiff i understood.

My buddy just used the inverted 194 LEDs and he has no hot spots.

to get to the gauges, remove the bottom plastic panel (2 screws), remove metal plate (2 10mm bolts) remove steering columb trim (6 screws) remove gauge trim (2 screws) then remove gauges (3 screws)

the problem for the original guy is that the new bulb is bighter cuz it is new, the old bulbs are just dim from age. they will look burnt inside, so replace them.

GXE/GLE gauges with LEDs will look fine too.

BTW if you put blue bulbs in gages with SE orange/red needles, the needles will not show up.

oh and I HATE wprking with the gauges.............
Old 10-21-2004, 02:41 PM

im going to get some leds at radioshack today, and ill do this tommorow so all the bulbs are the same 194 rite?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:15 PM

95-96 use 194 bulbs so you can get plug and play LED's, actually LED's run cooler than regular bulbs, you do get bright spots which drives Dave crazy almost as much as repeat posts, but he's forgotten what it's like to be a noobie. Only from experince I'd recommed using 4 LED per bulb rather than 1 LED per bulb, I got mine (as well as a few other org'rs) from http://www.superbrightleds.com/

here's my pics of the single LED per bulb versus 4 Led's per bulb.

Oh also you DO NOT need to drop the steering column, I've done this at least 5 or 6 times in about 10 mins tops!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:51 PM

that has major hotspots, when you say the 1 led do you mean these?

because this is an inverted LED that shines out the side, it should have less hotspots then the 4 LED bulbs that shire straight forward.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
what did you do, cut and paste from my reply? thanks for retyping everything i said six days ago there champ
Old 10-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
95-96 use 194 bulbs so you can get plug and play LED's, actually LED's run cooler than regular bulbs, you do get bright spots which drives Dave crazy almost as much as repeat posts, but he's forgotten what it's like to be a noobie. Only from experince I'd recommed using 4 LED per bulb rather than 1 LED per bulb, I got mine (as well as a few other org'rs) from http://www.superbrightleds.com/
I was born a Maxima enthusiast, I was never a noob.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
I was born a Maxima enthusiast, I was never a noob.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrexx
that has major hotspots, when you say the 1 led do you mean these?

because this is an inverted LED that shines out the side, it should have less hotspots then the 4 LED bulbs that shire straight forward.
I have the inverted blue one from superbrightleds.com and I'm happy with them. The hot spots aren't really noticable.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by global_threat
what did you do, cut and paste from my reply? thanks for retyping everything i said six days ago there champ

um no you didnt say anything close to what i said
Old 10-21-2004, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by JDogg96
I have the inverted blue one from superbrightleds.com and I'm happy with them. The hot spots aren't really noticable.
I saw this pic saying they had inverted, it looks like the hotspots are Very noticible,

do you have pics of yours?
F IT I'm just going to try it for myself because there is too many different replies.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:14 PM

whats a hot spot? and i hope its not as hot as me getting flamed for asking this ques
Old 10-21-2004, 05:17 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
whats a hot spot? and i hope its not as hot as me getting flamed for asking this ques

if you see the gauge cluster under your post the hot spots are the real white spots.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:40 PM

Hot spots =

Just get EBAY reverse indiglo rice guages like me and call it a day
Old 10-21-2004, 07:54 PM

thorby, the hot spots your referring to as "fire hazards" is the incorrect definition of the hot spots being discussed. led's run cooler, thus running hot would be impossible. the hot spot is an area in the light coverage where one area is brighter then others rather then being the same brightness throughout. with led's the problem is directly above the led is a notorious hotspot, inverted led's are less notable for hot spots. and if you read the stickies your thread would have never been bashed.

Quick Reply: Is taking off the entire dash to replace gauge bulbs too hard?