4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

@#%!!@#$!#@$!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Wookie

@#%!!@#$!#@$!!!!!!!!

Ok, this morning I went out to start the Max up, and it made the WORST sound of near-death I have heard out of it yet. The KS is still bad, I still haven't had the money to get it fixed, and I am afraid that maybe the starter is going bad due to me trying to crank it before it is ready (you know, that waiting period of about 15-20 minutes before it will start again after going dead due to the KS)

Is that possible? I really wish I could find a cheap KS ..... this is driving me nuts. My poor baby is sick
What are the effects of waiting an extended period of time before changing the sensor? Will it hurt the car or just become more annoying?
Does anyone have any input about a junk-yard Knock Sensor? I have to get something on there, and I am now willing to take the chance ... otherwise its autozone for $180... hopefully sometime soon ... I will only have to make it 2 more weeks (had to catch up on credit card bills)

I know I'm stupid for waiting ....
Old 10-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Do I get a tax break?

A knock sensor will not affect starting.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Jinni97Max
I am afraid that maybe the starter is going bad due to me trying to crank it before it is ready (you know, that waiting period of about 15-20 minutes before it will start again after going dead due to the KS)
What? Where did you get that information?
Old 10-18-2004, 08:01 AM
Sports Button FTW

i'm having a knock with very low mileage shipped to me at the end of the week. PM me and maybe we can work out a price. I have a paypal to show when i purchased it off ebay.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Wookie

When I go to start the car is what I ment, sitting there cranking it trying to get it to start ... they said the starter will sooner or later go bad from me doing that. If it wont, then any other ideas what it could be? It was when I started it, and it just sounded like metal grinding ... it was horrible.

And Mecca ... I surely will do that ... I need to get it fixed soon.
I am going to do it myself (uh oh! lol) so that will save me a few bucks too .. it cant be that hard if its right under the intake manifold << thats what I was told, anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong >> . 40 minute job hopefully, and thats cause I will have to go slow <??>.
The Nissan dealer said they could do for $250.
I told them they were crazy and I refused to pay them that much for a 20 minute job. They said that they HAD to do diagnostics after to make sure everything was working fine. Should I rethink that and pay them or will I be ok doing it myself (well, actually, I will prolly look at it, realize I dont want to mess anything up and then call for my husband to do it...but ima give it a shot)?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:11 AM

IT could possible be your ignition switch which is faulty. Have that changed for the $35 i goes for and get back to us.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Wookie

Cool deal, $35 I can handle Thank ya much
Old 10-18-2004, 10:06 AM

eh.. you're cranking your motor after it starts? or does it do it after you let off the key.

If so it could be one.. 1) the starter is getting stuck(happend to me once).. or 2) what teh evil madman ricer(gtr_rider lol) up on top of me said...