4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Redding out tails

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:16 PM

Redding out tails

I kno ther is a how to , to this redding out process, but i just wanna know is there another way to this other than painting ? and how did it come out ? o r is painting the best way ?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:46 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

yeah, the alternative to painting your tails is to tint them with translucent red vinyl film.

The instructions are in the FAQs and I think they come out much better than painting. The texture will be even, smooth, and glossy just as the plastic beneath it. I think this is an easier solution too.

I will make another write up with pics soon.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:48 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

in that pic its a little dark. should have used one less coat.

painting was really easy and cheap.

edit: if you paint it right, it will come out looking just as good as the translucent tint. if you use thick coats it comes out glossy...thin coats and its not as good.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:02 AM
V^___^V

i bought the translucent red vinyl off jmod.net (a rsx site) and it turned out pretty good. (traded with 96stillen_max for his tailis )
Old 10-25-2004, 05:15 AM
Hey There Mr. Paperboy...

ive redded out mine even before i saw the how to and it looks reel good to me..pics on my cardomain site... www.cardomain.com/id/ionblu_blk96max
Old 10-25-2004, 05:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Testor's candy apple red

Old 10-25-2004, 10:36 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by happyricefob

i bought the translucent red vinyl off jmod.net (a rsx site) and it turned out pretty good. (traded with 96stillen_max for his tailis )
so did you put that vinyl over my red spray or did you remove the paint i had put on there? looks good.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used the translucent red vinyl film method, like nadir.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:58 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by MadChef
I used the translucent red vinyl film method, like nadir.

wow that came out pretty clean and nice! good work
Old 10-25-2004, 07:43 PM

thanx alot guys, but to install the translucent tape do u just put it on the tailight itself, or do u have to open it and put it on top of the amber film ?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:52 PM

where can i find a writeup on this?!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:59 PM

From the Jeep forums works really well

The stuff I used is called .Testors Transparent Candy Apple Red Spray Enamel
The product number is 1605 in case you needed to double-check. You can get it at just about any hobby and craft shop.

Take both of the tail lights off of the Jeep and bring them inside somewhere like a basement (the stuff will get everywhere, so make sure you have plenty of newspaper all over the place).

Windex and clean the tail lights very, very well.

Masking tape off the orange part of the light and use some newspaper to protect the rest of the light from getting any enamel on it. Even though the stuff is transparent, it will dull any reflective parts of the light, so keep it just on the orange section. Make sure you press the edge of the masking tape as well so the enamel doesn't seep under. The way the light housing is made, there is a very slight edge between the red, white and orange sections, so it makes it a little easier to place the tape. Thankfully, there are four perfectly straight sections to tape off very easily.

I've heard of people using electrical tape for rounded corners, but in my opinion (and experience) the corners are too tight and the tape will unstick. Just lay a bunch of masking tape pieces at different angles around the corner. It works just fine.

Shake the can up really well and spray at the recommended distance away from the surface, but when spraying accross the surface, start spraying before the exposed surface and stop well after the exposed surface.

To avoid runs and drips (they will stick out like sore thumb when a light shines through) spray very light coats and wait at last 10 minutes between coats. I did about 3 light coats and the color matched very well.

Peel off the masking tape before the enamel dries because peeling it after it dries might cause chipping along the edge. Also be careful not to touch the wet paint. You should treat the lights very carefully. If you do mess up, acetone will clean it up.

The enamel takes 48 hours to "cure". Obviously, it dries much, much faster than that. I did this after I got home from work, let it dry overnight and put them on in the morning. It rained the day after I did it and everything was just fine.

I've read about people using clear coat, but the enamel alone is very resilient. Adding any more layers of paint will only make it stick out. I would rather use a plastic polish or something before I would put clear coat if it ever started getting dull. I've had the enamel on for all of the winter and it's still holding up very well. I have no regrets.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:44 AM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by 96stillen_max
so did you put that vinyl over my red spray or did you remove the paint i had put on there? looks good.
yeap i did
Old 10-26-2004, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Testor's candy apple red

Looks good, but isn't that illegal (I was under the impression that the back up lights have to be white)?
Old 10-26-2004, 03:37 AM

3 Coats of Spray. Came out Perfect.

bump the law....lol. Yeah i think its illegal. But I just make sure to park my car in reverse anywhere I go. I just couldn't live with the stock light or the altezza crap. Maybe one day ill do a 97 conversion or buy David L's.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Hey There Mr. Paperboy...

i dont even thing you actually have to have reverse lights...i things it is just a safety factor for urself...as long as not blue....
Old 10-26-2004, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ionblu_max96blk
i dont even thing you actually have to have reverse lights...i things it is just a safety factor for urself...as long as not blue....
Nope, all cars need ONE working clear reverse light. The second one is a safety factor not to mention symmetry is nice.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:48 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by MaximA StyLeZ
thanx alot guys, but to install the translucent tape do u just put it on the tailight itself, or do u have to open it and put it on top of the amber film ?
on top of the tail light, no need to even take em off the car. The vinyl just covers the amber part, no need to go over the already-red parts.

The instructions are in the FAQ... requires the vinyl, soapy water, and a heatgun/blowdryer. Heatgun works better though:

make sure lights are clean

apply soapy water

place large piece of vinyl on top of soapy water and adjust it

using a credit card, carefuly squeeze the soapy water out from underneath by sliding the card on top of the vinyl. the vinyl will begin to stick
Old 10-26-2004, 09:48 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

now with majority of it applied, cut off the excess peice that cover the red brake light part of the tail light

with a heatgun, warm up the edges of the vinyl and pull on the excess part from the side. you might need to lift up the side of the vinyl and spray some soapy water. the idea is to stretch it enough so that there aren't any air bubbles.

enjoy... if you use vinyl from oracal, they will last through the summer and rain. I am a detail freak and always wash my car and haven't had any issues with the vinyl peeling, fading, or air bubbling. (these pics are from 2 years ago... i did not use oracal and they faded on me)
Old 10-27-2004, 05:39 AM

I tried calling few hobby shops and searched internet, but I couldn't find where to buy translucent red vinyl. Where can I find it, preferably the one made by oracel as nadir recommended.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:58 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

www.oracal.com