4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Me Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 10:41 PM

Help Me Please!

two things are wrong, #1- I occasionally hear a crackling sound while i'm driving like gravel is hitting the side of my car and sometimes i'd even hear a loud crack/thud like someone threw a stone at the side of my car(i hope this is not engine knock). This has been goin on for a few weeks. #2 my airbag light started flashing last nite continuously even while driving(nutin seems to be wrong but i previously heard that its not good when the light flashes constantly). my car is finally back on the road after being off for 18mos and i drive it a few times a week. it only has 19k miles on it as well and its a '98. i also only use prem fuel. when i got it back in sept, the ppl at my local goodyear said that nutin was wrong with it.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:41 PM

Lemme get this straight...you're driving along, no noise and then all of a sudden it sounds like you are driving over gravel, and then later on no noise? Frikkin' weird...Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd say you WERE driving over gravel or even a freshly paved road. Other than the noise, can you "feel" anything wrong like loss of power, control, lights whatever? Do you notice the noise in any particular situation?
Old 10-26-2004, 12:28 AM

lol its all good, it happens occassionally when i drive to and from work (sunrise highway in ny is 100% paved) or on the parkways round here. power, control, and lights are normal and the noise is completely random. i once hit a small pothole late one nite @ like 35mph (couldnt see it), and i instantly heard the gravel sound after i hit it.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:39 AM

I dunno man. Sounds like you might have some screws loose. Literally. I'd start smacking a few panels, underneath the front lip, etc., (like you are knocking on someone's door) and listen...check if you can hear anything rolling around like a loose nut/bolt. Might even wanna push the front and back ends up and down to see if you can hear anything remotely close to what you are hearing when you drive.