4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CEL (Not a sticky question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Wookie

CEL (Not a sticky question)

As we all know, my KS is bad ... I recently learned from this site that the mechanic that said it was my KS that triggered my CEL is a crack smokin' fool and that KS alone wouldnt trigger it. That indeed was very helpful, however, it got me really freaked out about WTF was making my CEL come on ..... this morning I went and started off to work like normal and 1/2 way here relized "OMG! Its off again! YAY!"

Can someone please tell me why it is going on and off? Is it just a short? Is it just something it does sometimes? One nissan dealership told me that Maximas do sometimes have moments where they will just flip it on and its no biggie and not to worry about it unless you feel/hear or just have reason to beleive something is actually wrong. Another Nissan dealership told me that I better get my engine fixed or it will blow up....
There is nothing wrong with the car besides the KS, it runs like a dream and sounds like a purrin' kitty.
I did check the sticky posts and either didn't see it or it wasnt there.
Help please Thank ya very much!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

If a certain condition is detected a certain number of times, the light comes on.

If the problem is not detected again for a certain number of starts, the light goes back off, but the code is stored.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

This is a sticky answer, next time the light is on, read the stickys and pull the codes.
Then read the stickys again and decode it.

Come back to us with your results and we'll tell you whats wrong with your car.

Here's A few tips:
1) Never go back to the dealer that told you it's normal for the light to come on now and then.
2) Never go back to the dealer that told you your engine will blow up.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:45 AM

If you think your car runs like a dream now..just wait till you change your KS!..Your gas mileage will go up and it'll feel like you have at least 20 more hp!.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Jinni97Max
As we all know, my KS is bad ...
I didnt know that ...
And it is a good idea to check the code before doing anything else. Find the problem, back track. Dont assume and dont waste unnecessary labor time.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Wookie

When I had it hooked up to the computer at Auto Zone and at the mechanics (AutoZone was free, the mechanic was not) they said the only code it was reading was the knock sensor. His exact words were "The only code that I read is the knock sensor and it cant be reset, so that means its either bad or the wires conecting to it are bad .. once you get that sensor fixed, your CEL will go off. If you want to come inside, we can see how much that will run."
So thats why I didnt try to read my own codes ... but now that you said that I should do that, I will do that tonight.
I again thank you all for the advise , and sorry for posting a sticky after all ....
Old 10-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Wookie

Originally Posted by maxima_kid
I didnt know that ...
And it is a good idea to check the code before doing anything else. Find the problem, back track. Dont assume and dont waste unnecessary labor time.
Ya do now lol
Old 10-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Wookie

bump bump ...
Old 10-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Wookie

Ok -- here is what the codes said

03 04 (KS)
05 03 (Front Right 02 Sensor)
11 03 (Improper shifting to first grear A/T)

WTF does the 11 03 mean?? Is my tranny screwed? That kinda makes me mad ... I hope i am getting worked up over nothing ... and the 02 Sensor is an easy fix, right? I have seen a lot of those on here .... GD it. I am so mad now.
Lemme know if I need to sell my car FASt or not.

Thanks guys, you all are great

P.S. That was the easiest car "mechanics" i had ever done in my life ... I love the ECU now, its my best friend. LOL
Old 10-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Wookie

ok -- just called autozone and talked to that guy, he said its the p0731 improper ratio of gears blah blah blah makes me mad. he said that its possible since the light does go on and off that its just a sensor and i am not having any shifting problems at all, so it is most likely just a sensor in the tranny.?? ya'lls input please.

and keep an eye out, i might be in market for a new max soon.

this weekend is going to suck.

lemme know some good new guys, dont let me down. LOL
Old 10-29-2004, 05:56 PM

Stop calling the autozone guys.. lol

0503 could cause the 0304, I would change ur o2 sensor if its bad anyways so you might wanna start then.. Then work your way up to a $90 ebay sensor if the CEL stays.

LOL @ sell my car fast..

No you dont need to sell your car.. (yet..) j/k lol
Old 10-30-2004, 06:38 AM
Wookie

i have the KS ordered already, i bought it from mccanoble for really cheap, so thats on its way, and i am going to find an o2 sensor, those are only $78 at autozone ... i know, i need to stop calling them ... lol ... o'reillys might be cheaper ..... hmmm ....

ok, now, what about the tranny code? whats with that one?

im just happy you didnt say "sell that POS quick" -lol-

thakn ya thank ya thank ya
Old 10-30-2004, 07:34 AM

Clear codes and check if the tranny one comes up again .. lol I've never heard of improper shift to 1st before here.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Wookie

ahhhh i never thought to check it again after i reset it! lol i am gonna go do that now ...

and about the o2 sensor ... when i called and asked about it, they wanted to know if it was before or after the c. converter........ i was lost. i sounded smart till he asked that. LOL he said it depends on where it is to decide which one i need. .... help?