4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock sensor revisited

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:41 PM
I never narc'd on nobody.

Knock sensor revisited

ok, i know that everything i need to know about knock sensors is in the stickies, but mine seems to be some odd form of exception. before i knew how to get the codes from the ECU i tested the resistance on it, and i got an open circuit, as in, its dead. but then tonight, i checked the codes and got only one, 0402, and thats cuz i disabled the speed limiter. so, ecu thinks it works, tests and the butt-dyno tell me it doesnt work. what do you guys think? is it worth it to buy a new one and throw it in there just cuz it feels like it doesnt work?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:02 PM
JDM_Maximus

make sure that youre not getting two codes.. there will be a slight pause after the first one (if there is two).. if there isnt a second one, then just make sure that 1) your voltmeter/ohmeter is working properly 2)make sure that when you test the resistance on the KS that you have a good ground (like the negative batt terminal).. and make sure that you have a good connection to the pin in the connector (remember its the pin closest to the front of the car).. i just replaced mine today.. and mine was not picking up ANY reading before.. it was just shot! and i replaced it and can tell a major difference.. even right off (before the computer has a chance to calibrate itself).. hey also you could try just reseting your ecu and then take down the road (minimum of like 1-2 miles) and then check your codes again.. if it still doesnt show up and you think that it its bad then i would replace it.. but i dont know why it wouldnt show up even when youre testing it and its not showing a reading on the ohmeter.. if you do end up getting a new one i got mine at
http://www.maximumautoparts.com/NI_K...OVMTC=standard
i got it for 115 shipped and shipping only took like 3 days to get here.. either that or i think you can also get one on ebay.. at the time when i ordered they didnt have any on there.. good luck man..

Old 11-09-2004, 01:11 AM

thanks a bunch jdm, i guess ill test it with the ohmeter once more, try screwing around with the ecu, and hopefully not have to buy one
Old 11-09-2004, 04:52 AM

check the specs on your ohmmeter, it should be capable or reading at least 10meg ohms, if it doesnt than it will read open lead even if the ks is good
Old 11-09-2004, 10:58 AM

i had it set to 20m ohms, that should be more than sufficient i think