4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 01:33 PM
LoveMyMaximA

k i dunno wat it is but when the engine's cold, and i start my engine, it makes this loud scratching noise sometimes and i have no idea wat it is...some people say that it's the timing belt so that's the only idea that i have about that....is it the timing belt? do i have to replace it asap?

Old 04-16-2001, 01:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

If you have a 95+ maxima, you have no timing belt.

If your car is making noises on start-up it could be loose accessory belt(s).
Old 04-16-2001, 01:41 PM

Is it a screeching sound, a grinding sound, a chatter. Please describe the sound further. A common problem in the '95-'96 models were crappy starters. When cold, they make a sound that is similar to continuing to hold the key in the start position for too long. It goes away as the weather gets warmer. A screeching sound could be the accessory belts like Jeff92SE. A chattering sound could be indicative of a loose timing chain, which could be very expensive to replace. More information is needed. Expect Daniel to answer this with the 'hose in your ear' thing in a few minutes.
Old 04-16-2001, 01:50 PM
LoveMyMaximA

screeching

it's a screeching sound that's loud...like when it makes the noise all my friends are like "what the hell's wrong with ur car?!?!" and i got nothing to say...heheh...but anyways...yeah it's screeching...how much would it cost to replace?

Old 04-16-2001, 01:56 PM
LoveMyMaximA

o yeah i got this other problem (damn it!)

well my temperature, in the cold (like at night), it doesn't go up unless i drive it for about an hour...and it's ****ing me off as it stays cold cuz i wanna step on it sometimes u kno?...but during the day it's fine...it goes and stays in the center...but at night, i warm it up to about 2 lines below 1000rpm, and it doesn't go up...sometimes it actually goes down...how bad is this?

Old 04-16-2001, 02:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It sounds like the starter to me. . . My car made the same sound when it was first started in the morning and got worse and worse. It cost me ~$160 for a remanufactored starter, and I put it in myself. . . It was the first thing I have ever done working on my own car so I was proud of it. It took me about an hour, as I took my time, but I figured that if I screwed up, that I would know immediately, and the worse that would happen was the car wouldn't start. It would have been nice to have smaller hands though as some of those bolts are hard to reach.
Old 04-16-2001, 02:16 PM

There is a TSB for the timing chain in our cars. The timung chain will rattle when the engine is cold. Take care of this. If the timing chain jumps....you are minus one engine.
Old 04-16-2001, 02:22 PM

Your temperature guage, under normal driving conditions, should get to the 'middle' of the temperature guage in approximately 5 to 10 minutes. If yours takes significantly longer, your thermostat could be stuck open. As for the screeching, does it come from the drivers side or passenger side of the engine. In the front, middle, rear? Have your belts inspected. Make sure that they actually feel them, and not just look at them. Todays belts rarely 'look' worn before they break. BTW, get a Chilton's or Haynes Manual for the car or subscribe to alldatadiy.com. These sources have a wealth of information about your car.
Old 04-16-2001, 02:30 PM

"Hose in your ear" thing

Originally posted by medicsonic
... Expect Daniel to answer this with the 'hose in your ear' thing in a few minutes.
It is important to identify the source of the noise. A four-foot length
of small diameter rubber vacuum hose will help you do this. You can buy
the hose in any auto parts store. They typically sell it in bulk for about
US$0.50 per foot. Start the engine and let it idle. Put one end of the
hose in your ear and the other end near any suspected source of noise.
The engine compartment presents a cacophony of sound. The benefit
of the hose is that it isolates the sound from one specific area. Work safely!
Avoid contact with any moving parts!

You may find it interesting to explore the sounds of your engine with this
inexpensive tool. Each moving part has its own characteristic sound. For
example, listen to the muted clicking of the fuel injectors. They should
all sound alike. If you find one with a different sound (or no sound at
all) you have found a problem.

The dealer's service department is equipped with high-tech diagnostic
instruments. These are wonderful devices but they are expensive and the
dealer has to recover his cost by charging you for diagnostic time.
Sometimes the home mechanic can do legitimate diagnostic work with
nothing more than a rubber tube.
Old 04-16-2001, 03:55 PM
ajaffee

Re: o yeah i got this other problem (damn it!)

Originally posted by LoveMyMaximA
well my temperature, in the cold (like at night), it doesn't go up unless i drive it for about an hour...and it's ****ing me off as it stays cold cuz i wanna step on it sometimes u kno?...but during the day it's fine...it goes and stays in the center...but at night, i warm it up to about 2 lines below 1000rpm, and it doesn't go up...sometimes it actually goes down...how bad is this?
As medicsonic said, your problem with the temp is very likely just a busted thermostat (stuck open). They're inexpensive to buy at your local parts place and easy to install.