4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

shift knob...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 02:56 PM

hey guys, i just installed my levoc lv-451 shift **** (with overdrive button) and it was such a pain in the *** to do because of the overdrive wiring. My question is, (for the Maxima owners with the OEM shift ****) when the **** is on "D", could u just shift the **** to "Neutral" by putting some force to the shift ****? Because for some weird reason, without pushing down on the button, it's able to shift to Neutral. Is this normal? Cuz I consider this kinda dangerous, since I'm easily able to shift to neutral without pushing down on the button. I really can't remember when i had my OEM shift ****. Please help me out! Thanks guys!
Old 04-16-2001, 03:04 PM

shift ****

Your car decription says it is an auto. I think with auto, you can shift back and forth between "D" and "Neutral" without pressing down the thumb ****. That is not with any other gears.
Old 04-16-2001, 04:45 PM

could you please check and confirm that this is absolutely normal for the D to be able to shift to N without pressing the button? becuz i want to make sure that i didn't mess up anything on my auto tranny! thanks again!
Old 04-16-2001, 04:58 PM

First, where did you get the shift ****? Does it look pretty nice? How much did it cost?
In terms of the shift **** moving from D to Neutral. It shouldn't happen without some kind of forceful push. You're suppose to be able to move the **** from Neutral to Drive without pushing the button, but not the other way around. My car had a similar problem, and I took it in to the dealer and they told me one of the parts were loose/broken. They replaced it under warranty.
I hope this helps.

Originally posted by maximaxgtr
hey guys, i just installed my levoc lv-451 shift **** (with overdrive button) and it was such a pain in the *** to do because of the overdrive wiring. My question is, (for the Maxima owners with the OEM shift ****) when the **** is on "D", could u just shift the **** to "Neutral" by putting some force to the shift ****? Because for some weird reason, without pushing down on the button, it's able to shift to Neutral. Is this normal? Cuz I consider this kinda dangerous, since I'm easily able to shift to neutral without pushing down on the button. I really can't remember when i had my OEM shift ****. Please help me out! Thanks guys!
Old 04-16-2001, 05:02 PM

shift ****

When I get home I'll check my owner's manual. But I'm 100% sure it's free to shift back and forth between "D" and "N". Some correction about my previous reply: without pressing thumb button, you can shift from "1" to "2" to "D" to "N", and also from "R" to "N" and to "D"; all other shifting pattern requires pressing that thumb button.

I used to shift from "D" to "N" from time to time when I saw red light far away, just wanted to save a little bit energy. But dealer said it's not a good practice to do.
Old 04-16-2001, 07:42 PM

shift ****

I checked my 96 maxima manual. It does not clearly show the shifting requirement of that thumb button. My 94 Altima's manual has a much better picture of the shifter with two types of shifting direction arrow to indicate which shift requires pressing **** and which doesn't. Two types are seperated by black and white colors. I don't have the Altima's manual with me now but I'm 100% sure, that back and forth between "D" and "N" does not require preesing that ****. I even tried my very old 86 Sentra, and it is the same for "D" and "N" shifting. My 2000 RX300 is also the same.

Once in a while I just shift from "D" to "N" and let the car coast, check RPM, ... I don't know why it is designed that way. It's not a failure. I don't know about the other cars' design. By the way I recall the very first car I had was a 79 Monte Carlo, auto. Its steering column shifter did the same for "D" and "N" shift without pulling that lever towards me to unlock the shifter.
Old 04-16-2001, 07:47 PM

shift ****

I checked my 96 maxima manual. It does not clearly show the shifting requirement of that thumb button, but on the way home today I tried that again on my Maxima and confirmed it. My 94 Altima's manual has a much better picture of the shifter with two types of shifting direction arrow to indicate which shift requires pressing **** and which doesn't. Two types of arrows are seperated by black and white colors. I don't have the Altima's manual with me now but I'm 100% sure, that back and forth between "D" and "N" does not require pressing that ****. I even tried my very old 86 Sentra, and it is the same for "D" and "N" shifting. My 2000 RX300 is also the same.

Once in a while I just shift from "D" to "N" and let the car coast, check RPM, ... I don't know why it is designed that way. It's not a failure. I don't know about the other cars' design. By the way I recall the very first car I had was a 79 Monte Carlo, auto. Its steering column shifter did the same for "D" and "N" shift without pulling that lever towards me to unlock the shifter.
Old 04-16-2001, 07:54 PM

In order for me to shift from "D" to "N", i hafta give it a little shove in order to make it do that. Same with the "N" to "D", cuz I have to use a little force. But I just want to know whether this is normal for the 95-99 Automatic Trannies. Thanks for your help guys. Please let me know what you find out for all those automatic transmission drivers.

As far as the ****, its a Levoc Black/Chrome LV-451 shift ****. It looks pretty nice with my Brushed Aluminum Dash Kit. I paid about $80 for it. It definitely feels more like a racing shift **** compared to my stock SE leather shift ****. Damn, I wish I had a 5-speed manual SE! It would be so much easier to change the ****!
Old 04-16-2001, 08:02 PM

shift ****

Sorry I didn't read 96 Maxima owner's manual carefully.

On page 4-7, right under the picture it says: Push the button to shift into "P", "R" or from "D" to "2". All other positions can be selected without pushing the button.

Just FYI.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:26 PM
Master Will

I have one.....

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...2032&f=0&vt=vp

----LEVOC Hybrid AUTO Shift **** Chrome/Carbon Fiber
w/OD button(#LV-452E)=$90.00-Southwestautoworks.com.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:27 PM

Maximaxgtr where did you get your shifter?
Old 04-16-2001, 08:41 PM

i got it from this guy on eBay, since he had one for sale. This auction was way back from October-November 2000, but there's an auction that's selling the same exact **** that I installed on my car... Go to..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...427723&r=0&t=0

And thanks again to all for your help with this so-called shift **** problem. i really thought it was abnormal to easily shift from D to N without pushing the button. Thanks!