4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Clear bumper lights - will they move?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 06:51 AM

Wow, that was easy! I just installed my clear bumper lights!! I was afraid I'd break something or they wouldn't stay in.. but so far so good. Going to take Max out for a spin shortly to make sure they stay in... and to show off a little.

Anyway, I was looking around the net while waiting for my 'package' to arrive and noticed that some of the instructions for installing these things talk about removing the little plastic plug using a washer to secure the side piece.

Maybe mine are made different, but I didn't see any way to secure a nut to the mounting stud on my side pieces. They had funny shaped pegs on them and came with new inserts to go into the hole. I removed the old inserts, popped the new ones in and put in the light. Seems snug to me.

Did anyone else's come with these pieces? Have you had problems with them popping back out?

I'm guessing that the original sets didn't come with new plug inserts, and this is why everyone was using the washers, etc. to secure their lights. I can see where once the old light is ripped out of the existing insert the new one wouldn't want to stay, but will having a new insert keep this from happening?

Anyway, I really like the look... makes the car stand out even more. Thanks for showing these things to me, probably never would have known about them if it hadn't been for all the great pictures you guys have put up. I've seen similar ones on other types of cars and trucks, but I don't think any of the local Maximas (at least not in this town) have them.. except mine!

Samantha
Can't wait till hubby gets home so I can show him what I did.. all by my self!
Old 04-17-2001, 08:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NisMax95
Wow, that was easy! I just installed my clear bumper lights!! I was afraid I'd break something or they wouldn't stay in.. but so far so good. Going to take Max out for a spin shortly to make sure they stay in... and to show off a little.

Anyway, I was looking around the net while waiting for my 'package' to arrive and noticed that some of the instructions for installing these things talk about removing the little plastic plug using a washer to secure the side piece.

Maybe mine are made different, but I didn't see any way to secure a nut to the mounting stud on my side pieces. They had funny shaped pegs on them and came with new inserts to go into the hole. I removed the old inserts, popped the new ones in and put in the light. Seems snug to me.

Did anyone else's come with these pieces? Have you had problems with them popping back out?

I'm guessing that the original sets didn't come with new plug inserts, and this is why everyone was using the washers, etc. to secure their lights. I can see where once the old light is ripped out of the existing insert the new one wouldn't want to stay, but will having a new insert keep this from happening?

Anyway, I really like the look... makes the car stand out even more. Thanks for showing these things to me, probably never would have known about them if it hadn't been for all the great pictures you guys have put up. I've seen similar ones on other types of cars and trucks, but I don't think any of the local Maximas (at least not in this town) have them.. except mine!

Samantha
Can't wait till hubby gets home so I can show him what I did.. all by my self!
Keep in contact with us here and you'll be doing a lot more of your own work. That's great, good luck with your Max!
Old 04-17-2001, 08:36 AM

Congrats on the install. Mine didn't come with any tools to secure it, but I have taken many, many bumps and the lenses haven't moved at all. HOWEVER, I think alot of people secure them because they are super easy to take back off of the car if you don't feel like paying for your own set.
Old 04-17-2001, 08:47 AM

Mine haven't popped out at all. I guess some of us are just lucky that way.
Old 04-17-2001, 11:15 AM

Took Max out for a spin around the block. Started snowing as I left.. heh wierd TN weather. Took it over some train tracks, a few bumpy patches in the road and whatever else I could find. No problems at all!!

Hubby called right after I got back home, so I bragged to him about what I'd done. He'd seen pictures of them but never saw them on a real car until earlier today. He's out in California right now.. and said he saw one driving around out there with 'em on. Might have belonged to someone here.. never know.

Yeah, I'd say it wouldn't take much for someone to take them off my car... but from what I've seen of the Maximas in this area, I probably don't have to worry. As someone mentioned in the Southeast forum, most of the Max's in TN are driven way to slow by people who are probably way too old to appreciate what they've got! Now if I had an S-10 or a puny little Civic I might be worried, as those seem to be the 'ride of choice' for the younger set in this area. That's why it's so much fun to go buzzing past them in my 4-door "Family Sedan" and watch their jaws drop!!

Samantha

OK I've tried this several times now with no luck.. what am I doing wrong with the images? Anybody else having problems with pictures on yahoo or geocities showing up in the messages?
Old 04-17-2001, 12:30 PM

i screwed in the lens that "pops" in from behind with a screw on each side that i found laying around in my garage. i did so because once one of my clear bumper lenses poped out while on the freeway. (lucky it didnt' fall off) and by screwing them in its harder for people to jack!
Old 04-17-2001, 03:12 PM

People secure then to the back because people will try and steal them, which really sucks because you paid some money for them. They probably will stay on no problem, but for security purposes it might be in your best intrest to get a little dirty and secure them.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:13 PM
Master Will

I super glued mine in and I have to reach under the bumper to change bulbs....
Old 04-17-2001, 03:20 PM

You can't post pictures that are on Yahoo's, Geocities, Angelfire's, Xooms, and soon to be Photopoint's website. If you use AOL to access the Internet, you can use their ftp server to host your image.
Old 04-17-2001, 08:46 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine come out

Mine have came out many times at high speeds on the highway. It's scares the hell out of me too since it usually happens when i am racing at high speeds. I was racing a Camry V6 and beating him bad and at 110 one popped out and scared the hell out of me. It has happened before so i glued the suckers in, do it. it's worth it.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:13 PM

if they are not securly locking in all the way then you can do the following to help them snap in.

1) pop it out

2) unscrew the thing the clicks in the the hole on the clear corner a couple of turns (this will make it longer if you think about it).

3) reinsert the clear corner and you will see that is snaps back into place much stronger.

hope this helps
Old 04-18-2001, 05:57 AM

Yeah, mine had a new insert too. I replaced the old one with the new one and popped the new lights in. It works fine for me. They stay in.

I assume that the new insert is made to fit the new peg in the light. The reason people took out the peg and put it back in from behind with a washer is to stop them from being stolen. I had heard that if you didn't get new white plastic inserts and your new lights fall out, to use the OLD peg from your orange lights in there.

Jack